Beginner Bird

silvertiger3450

Oct 24, 2012
WHat would a beginner bird be. I don't want budgies as they seem to boring. It would have to be bought from petsmart, petco, petgood etc. not from breeders

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
How about a cockateil or a green cheek conure. What are you looking for in a pet bird and how much time will you have to interact with them. I suggest you look at the forums on here regarding the type of bird you decide on. There is tons of info on the need, care, type of cage requirements, diet, lifespan and how much interactive time they need with you to keep them happy and healthy. Good luck:)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hmmm, boring, what then would not be boring? What about a bird that had a vocabulary of over 700 words or one that could do 80 tricks.....they were both budgies.

Working up, size wise, from there, you've got cockatiels, conures, love birds.....oh, and you've got parrotlets, the smallest of the parrots in the pet trade. All of these birds could be good beginner birds, but what you really should do is research them, then go to a store where you can interact with each specie for a while. Researching any bird before you get one, is the key to learning the right way of taking care of it.

What is wrong with obtaining a bird from a breeder? Often a breeder can help you with your decision, give you tips on the particular specie they raise and better answer your questions that can petstore employees.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Not to be sarcastic, but the idea of a beginner bird is a bit baffling. They are a lifetime commitment & require love, patience, time & money. Read different sections on here & see what tickles your fancy. Even better, volunteer at a sanctuary & interact with some. All birds have good & bad points depending on your lifestyle. Don't think because a bird is thought of as a beginner that things will be easy.

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
What ever you choose, make sure it's something you will want to have forever. There are a lot of species that are "easier " that you could get as a first bird. Parrotlets, green cheek conures, cockatiels, love birds, maybe even something like an alexandrine or sun conure depending on what you are looking for and what you can provide. What kind of bird do you want to have eventually? Time, cost, space, noise level, landlord and family opinions are all things that should be taken into consideration as well. Don't hesitate to ask questions that's what forums are for! :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I may be way off base on this, but most of us may have thought "beginner bird" in our younger days, while today we usually use more updated terminology.....that, coupled with the sourcing options, I just think we've got a first timer who came to the place they thought they could get good information, not be brow beaten for their honesty.

Silver Tiger, you're welcome to ask any other questions you may have & if I can answer them, I will. If I can't & nobody else will I'll even help you find the answers.

The others who sounded kind of hard on you were really trying to be sure you understood what bringing a companion bird home means. Sometimes we may need to read between the lines to actually hear the words.

Like I said, I may be mistaken, but this reply was right if I'm not.....then, maybe it needed to be said anyway.....

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conureโ™‚, Merlin the Camelot Macawโ™‚
I would say Green cheek Conure or Lovebirds are easy to keep and great! but each bird is different research to find which bird is right for you. Also I NEVER buy or would tell someone its a good idea to buy form a petstore like Petco or Ptsmart, my reasons are 1: The birds usually aren't very nice. 2: They are usually not cared for properly. 3: They are usually VERY overpriced. Getting a bird from a GOOD breeder means the bird will be healthy, on the right diet, very sweet (normally), cheaper than form a petstore, and well taken care of! That is of course if its a good breeder do your research and again please done buy from a petstore!

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
All the birds people have said above might be appropriate. My mum has had birds, but the first bird in our house that i was involved with was my younger sisters cockatiel.

All of these birds will do diferently in different situations and need slightly different treatment so researching the species' and comparing them to your lifestyle would be a good idea. And im only asking because you said 'first', but does this mean you want to learn and experience bird ownership before committing to a larger bird that you may want in the future? because even the little ones live quite a while, and some of them would be more tolerant of a later addition to the flock, and less jealous of your divided attention than others. :)

I dont know much about parrotlets, but out of the rest i think a conure, followed by lovebirds would require a little more training and patience. (they may be small but dont underestimate a lovebirds little beak) XD -Although conures can definetly be worth the effort. Nobody here would describe a conure as boring!

If you are against budgies, (have you looked at normal budgies or english ones? they are a bit larger if being too small was a factor) i would vote cockatiel - they are smart and sweet. I have not met any nippy ones so far. [if you want it to talk you will have better luck with a male though]
Personally i also just think the white and gray ones are just too cute as well. :3

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
To me a beginner bird is one who doesn't have a beak big enough to give you a serious bite. Birds are different then any pet you will ever have, and understanding their body language isn't easy for a beginner, a small bird can teach you so much about body language if your willing to learn and if they do bite you it won't shatter your confidence. We just need to remember to not take advantage of them and be bossy just because they have a little beak. They need to be respected just like a big bird.

To me a starter bird is anything smaller then a blue crowned conure. but you must be dedicated and be prepared to have whatever bird you get for a long time. Birds are family and family doesn't get left behind or forgotten.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yes, don't get a budgie. They are *VERY* boring birds and all they do is sit around on a perch and chirp all day long! ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN_dtP2i-w]Fun with Budgies - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sez55YUF23k]Beat Boxing Budgie - YouTube[/ame]

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Is was told Quakers are good first birds if you can have them in your state.

Last edited:

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
I have a Conure, but we had budgies when I was a lot younger; Budgies are badass!

The problem with the budgie stereotype, is that it's a small cage with 2 or more budgies, or an aviary full of them. They are usually ignored and left to amuse themselves, and therefore don't make great companions. It's all about how you treat them, and the conditions in which they live.

As for the retail pet chains, you're generally going to get even less chance of a companion bird. Only God knows how it was tended to, or has been in that cage; at least breeders generally care.

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
Here is yet another great beginner bird. Its all about what you want out of them, and what you want to put into them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3pG5fTk60]Talking Parakeet - YouTube[/ame]

barw33zy

Sep 13, 2011
Parrots
Sonny Sun Conure
Check your local humane society as well, they may have some parrots. My local humane society usually has budgies, lovebirds, and/or cockatiels, but yours may have some other types that might also be good as a first bird.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toeo9nBoDOk]Disco's fallen and he can't get up! - YouTube[/ame]

Oh my, Disco is awesome!

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzoโ™กโ™กโ™ก
I don't think Green Cheeked Conures are for the faint of heart, lol. Ours is bold, intelligent and inquisitive. Despite that, if she feels offended or slighted, she will fluff up, chase you down and bite you just to make sure that you've learned your lesson, lol. Better to be bitten by a GCC than any of the larger parrot species.
Green cheeks are great. If you spend time daily with a Green Cheek and offer it your unconditional love, patience and committment; you will have a lovely companion for many, many years to come. I have to agree with the other posters, in that getting a bird from a conscienctious breeder will usually cost you less than a retail pet-store chain. Plus you will have the added benefit of having a hand reared baby that has had more frequent human interaction than most pet-store birds.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
You should start here...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts