Best cage for a Timneh?

Mookie

Aug 10, 2016
Edmonton
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Hi all, just a quick question...I recently ordered a Prevue Hendryx Select Series w/ Play Top....The model # is 3153

As most of you are way more experienced with these kind of birds, I am curious if anyone has this cage and what they would recommend if it's not up to par?

It seems to have great reviews onlline...But would love to hear your input.

Basically...Is this a good size? Or do I need to go bigger?

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Hey Mookie. I don't have any experience with large parrots, but I in my opinion, that cage shouldn't be used for anything other than sleep. It's far too small for him to spend any extended amount of time in. But, then again, most cages are too small. That's why folks tend to have big play gyms for their birds to spend most of the day on.

For anyone larger than a conure, I personally believe the only suitable enclosure is an indoor aviary. It doesn't have to be a huge aviary; it just has to be big enough to be able to fly from one perch to another, and be able to stick a good variety of toys and perches in.

If you'd like, I could point you to some cages which, if n my opinion, are more suitable.

OP
Mookie

Mookie

Aug 10, 2016
Edmonton
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Thanks ya that would be great.

He's got a huge play gym and is only in his cage to sleep. But I do want him to be comfortable no matter what.

Space is a problem for us, we don't live in the biggest of homes.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
These cages are pretty good:
CagesUnder500Dollars.com - Cages for Large Birds

Spacewise, how about the CFDS-8000 Octagon, CFDS-4003 Goliath, CFDS-1001 Pentagon Corner, or the Five Foot Diameter Indoor? The octagon one is quite nice, but the Goliath might be better for fitting in a room.

You could try making your own. You can get stainless steel mesh for a decent price, some stainless steel angles, etc. The doors would be annoying to do, though.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The model ordered has interior dimensions of roughly 29 x 21 x 36 inches, a bit small but satisfactory IMHO for a Timneh. Of course bigger is almost always better, but must be balanced with space available in the home. If he spends plenty of time on the external playpen, your choice should be reasonable. Since this cage has a playtop, he can make good use of the added space if the cage door is open.

OP
Mookie

Mookie

Aug 10, 2016
Edmonton
Parrots
Timneh African Grey
Thanks, yeah he's only in the cage to sleep and if I've got to run some errands. Other than that, he's out and about. Appreciate the feedback!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I looked up the Prevue Hendryx model 3153, dimensions 30x22. For a medium size bird like a Timneh Grey, that should be fine. Of course bigger is better, but that is acceptable imho, especially since he's out a lot and getting stimulation that a Grey needs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts