Best way to become boss?

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
As many of you know, I've recently rehomed a 9yr old greenwing. He isnt my first parrot, but he is my first macaw, so I am a little on edge around him sometimes, and I believe he is now using this against me.

What is the best way to show your macaw you're boss? I understand getting over my fear is the largest aspect, which I'm just about over, but when he opens that beak towards my fingers, fear is immenant.
I dont want to push him to do things he doesn't want to do, and get bit because of it. When I say "step up" and he just sits there looking at me. I'll have my forearm pushed up against his feet, touching his belly and he just sits there. I know this is because he knows he controls me though fear (for now). This is just one example.
He is always happy when he does step up, bobbing, flapping ,etc. Just getting him to get off his cage door, off his perch, etc, is the challenge.

He needs to quit the beak scaring, but I'm assuming I'll just have to fight though it until he realizes beak threatening wont do anything anymore, I'm no longer afraid.

He is still gaining trust of me, but I dont know what is him being untrusting, or just testing / trying to dominate. I want him to 100% trust me, but at the same time realize when I say "hop up" its time to hop up.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Some of this comes over time, when the bird trusts you more...

Again, two fingers on the beak will control it. Biting should not be an issue. If he tries it, down he goes.

Take him to a room away from the cage and do step up and touching exercises, giving him praise, head scratches, and treats when he does it right. Use a portable playstand or perch for this one.

ads

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Cadmus the IRN
Griphook and Errol the Cockatiels!
I had this same exact problem with my Catalina macaw. She is sixth months old and after we had had her in our house for about a month and a half she started to realize that she could take advantage of us if she wanted to. So she startd to develop bad habits and started biting and disobeying us constantly. We then decided we couldn't handle the issue on our own, so we brought her to our local bird store in Allentown - Bird Mania. Luckily they are absolutely AMAZING. They are especially experts with macaws and they taught us that living with a macaw is a daily powerstruggle. You have to show them who is boss. If he doesn't step up you shove your arm under him and grab his feet and you make him get up. We had problems with our macaw constantly trying to climb up on our shoulders and then we learned that everytime she tried that we follow it up with a loud stern "no" and then shake her. If she tried again, I'd do it again and shake her more. If she fell to the floor - she fell to the floor, it doesn't hurt her and it shows her who is boss. If he bites DON'T give up and let him do what he wants. If you do that he will sense your nerves and do it every time, then you will lose all control.

Now our Catilina, George, is a total sweetheart. Since then we have taught her to lay on her back in our arms like a baby and on the bed and play on her back. I have barely been bitten since, and usually only when she is slipping off my arm. The day before we brought her I was literally in tears because it just felt like she hated me. But now that I have control she can express her love in an appropriate manner - and it feels like she loves me even more now that I have control over her.

Oh, and NEVER EVER let the macaw be above you. Don't let him climb on top of his cage, get him a perch stand that he can hang out on outside of his cage. Letting him above him will give him a feeling of superiority and when he is above you it is much harder for you to force him to come off of his cage and he is much more likely to bite you.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Oh, and NEVER EVER let the macaw be above you. Don't let him climb on top of his cage, get him a perch stand that he can hang out on outside of his cage. Letting him above him will give him a feeling of superiority and when he is above you it is much harder for you to force him to come off of his cage and he is much more likely to bite you.

I believe this is a myth~ but I do agree about not letting them on your shoulder and I'm sorry I dont agree with shaking a bird.....

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
I don't think it's "against the rules" to let them be over your head, but it makes it harder to get them down. Found that out today. But I had a step stool and got to his level and he stepped right on to my arm and came down. Good boy!

OP
cstambaugh

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
A lot of good advice on here.

Most Reactions