Big Scare!!

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
right now just the childrens cherry ben. I havntbeen able to get the poopie to the vet yet... things to do people to see, vet with poor hours... matter of fact tomorrow I get to have some wisdom teeth pulled (yay)
just cant find the time right now... and sence she is no longer picking or pulling at her feathers, she will be ok until things get less crazy next week

OH NO!! I don't like dentists too awful much :( ... but, on a bright note, I got my wisdoms pulled with not problem at all!

The reason I asked (and this is NOT TO WORRY YOU AT ALL) about the medications is because Metronidozole (the medication for Giardia) has a very low incidence of causing hallucinations in animals. I have nine animals who have been on Metronidozole ... only one has had a problem (she sees ghosts and goblins ... we just keep her safe if she goes through a short spell). But, that is NOT the norm. But, that is why I asked ... :) ...don't let that worry you ... Cricket (if it is necessary) probably won't experience that same type of thing; it is not common.

As far as not catching a poop sample ... don't worry, Giardia will wait in the lurk! LOL ... it won't go away, it will be there when you are ready (I say that totally tongue-in-cheek! stoopid humor if you will). LOL

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I got 2 wisdom teeth pulled with only novocaine .... passed out in the
dentist chair 'cause I was a wuss (come to think of it, I should put that story in that other thread ... ) everything was fine until about 6 months later when my sis was in the same chair and the dentist (seemed to) pass out right in front of her (and didn't wake up) ... find out the next day she suffered a brain aneurysm and was dead before the paramedics made it to the office ... needless to say my sister is PETRIFIED of the dentist ... but, I think we will all agree, it is for a very good reason! :eek:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
I got 2 wisdom teeth pulled with only novocaine .... passed out in the
dentist chair 'cause I was a wuss (come to think of it, I should put that story in that other thread ... ) everything was fine until about 6 months later when my sis was in the same chair and the dentist (seemed to) pass out right in front of her (and didn't wake up) ... find out the next day she suffered a brain aneurysm and was dead before the paramedics made it to the office ... needless to say my sister is PETRIFIED of the dentist ... but, I think we will all agree, it is for a very good reason! :eek:

Tex, I am absolutely positive, without doubt, that Chi will now go in with a great deal of confidence! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
yeah, my sister has also been robbed by gunpoint one day at her former job (she was a teller in a bank) ... poor kid, and she's all of 23 ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
OMG Tex, your poor sister has really been through it hasn't she. I don't think I would ever leave my house again.

DENTISTS :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Peta goes running for cover, I'm scared stiff of the dentist I take the kids every 6 months, and everytime I sit there shaking like a leaf, and petrified. They usually tell me to speak to the dentist who will give me something to calm me down, but then I tell them its a check up for the kids and they laugh at me. :( I've had this fear for years.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
LOL! My wisdom teeth( all 4) was removed when i was 17. And i wasnt in the dentist chair, i was sound asleep, though i looked like a baloon, very colourful for the next two weeks or so very swollen and grumpy:D. I was at the dentist a month ago, dont mind needles in my mouth, just on me!:eek:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Ahhh Wisdom Teeth, all I remember when I got mine out was they gave me some drugs, and I mean good stuff. I thought I was flying. I was awake for the surgery and kept wiggling my tongue around, they were getting mad at me :p Afterwards My cheeks were purple and so swollen up. Luckily most people don't get like that.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Well..... I was a lot luckier than you guys, mine came out all 4 normally without any problems so I didn't have to have them removed.... :p

And I am not afraid of dentists at all, mine is a very nice lady that doesn't worry me at all when I visit her... :D

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
My teeth are out, 2 on the same side, I never got one on the other side and the 4rth is replacing a tooth I had pulled as a kid.

On a side note, but still on topic, Poopie-pants managed to take a large watery one on the towel I used to give her her meds. So I was able to take that to vet before my appoinmtent and I will then update you when I get those results.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Now that you've been to the dentist, I'll tell you how my wisdom teeth came out, They were growing along my gum and he had to cut all the gums just to get to them. My whole face was swollen and black and blue and so damn sore for over a week afterwards. :eek:

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Wow. I'm so glad Cricket was ok.. Tyler always reacts in the same way when he gets spooked.. "AHH What was that?! Oh no! I'd best fly right into the wall!" *BOOF*

I had my wisdom teeth out as well but they knocked me out.
I was never afraid of the dentist.. I remember threatening my orthodontist. I told him if he didn't take the braces off me like he had promised, RIGHT THIS MINUTE, that I would take them off myself. I then took a pair of pliers out of my pocket and held them up while giving him the evil eye. He took them off immediately.
I heard that he later got into trouble for keeping braces on kids longer than necessary so that he could continue to collect payment. I knew it!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We had that same problem with Jemma and her braces, they were kept on for about 8 months and each time we went they said "Next time they'll be off" In the end I threatened them with bodily harm, They were doing more damage to her teeth by leaving them on. :mad:

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Lol.. I had my braces for like, 2 or 3 years. I don't actually remember.. felt like forever. Granted, my teeth were pretty bad when they started but it was a ridiculous amount of time:p

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Yeah, I had a diffrent issue... i couldnt get my braces off until I could affort my implant. the braces where holding the space where the tooth was going. So I end up having my braces on for about a 2 years longer than I needed to :D

Most Reactions