Biggest mistake of my life...or best thing I've ever done.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I was going to ask about that....

I know theirs all sorts of colorations (pinapple, cinamon etc.) and I was even doing a few searches for what type of subspecies of GCC has the black head etc. And it kept directing me to that.

So the "default" coloration I guess is with the black top and feet...

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
So I just got a black capped conure (North) and that breed is a totally separate breed of conure than a GCC. Also they are much smaller than a GCC and make totally different sounds and the eyes are different. Zod, in my opinion, is a regular GCC.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Remember that is the dress gold or is the dress blue thing a while back?

My camera doesn't quite pick it up but where you see grey above the light blue on his neck there is this iridescent dark indigo color that is so beautiful, but apparently can only be seen with our eyes. I took a bunch of pictures but it just won't pop out like it does in real life. Anyone else notice this when taking pictures of feathers on their birds?

Attachments

• 20181228_065446.jpg
    20181228_065446.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 75

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is the normal beautiful coloration of a green cheeck conure, even though they are green cheeck they have a dark head. The black capped conure if you Google have a unique deep scallop under their neck , nit the Nirmal scallop of green cheeck it is very distinctive. The original color of GCC is very beautiful in my opion as my first Burt The Bird was this, truely wonderful birds!

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
the dominance attacks are becoming less and less frequent...I was given a 30 day return by the pet store for compatibility but I think clark and (for now general zod) are more accepting of each other.

Superman clark has all the weight, strength, speed, and coordination advantage so since about day two he's been dominant but after I put him on the floor twice for a time out he's more into making nice.....

Now not for nothing...I'm not naive and I've seen zod start it a couple times too; but for the most part I think this is working out. They do cage together ok and have seen them on the same perch snoozing.

My only issue now seems to be clark is teaching the BAD behaviors!

Oh side note, little zod understands kissy I love you and come on. He's yet to talk, but with clark and me doing it, I doubt it will be a few weeks at most.

also on the color thing I just meant the camera cannot get the color right....it won't process the iridescent indigo.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I wish any of my four Conures talk...thanks Ollie. I'm pretty sure since he has no interest in talking the other have adopted that idea into their minds as the "right way to bird".

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
the vet told me today that the new bird might only talk conure because of being around clark.....however.....clark talks human a lot and I reinforce the same couple words/phrases so I think little zod will talk human too soon enough. If they were only a few months apart then she would probably be right, but clark is basically an english speaker now as far as what he needs to convey and what he speaks EG. I love you, gimme kissy, come on (pick me up), come on(lets go together) a few others, the most amazing thing is he is always able to use them in context! He doesn't mimic speech he uses speech. I just hope zod follows his lead.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Finally had a chance to hit the postoffice to send off the DNA samples. Sometime next week I should definitively now the sex of both conures....or as I suspect that they are both in fact velociraptors.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I wish any of my four Conures talk...thanks Ollie. I'm pretty sure since he has no interest in talking the other have adopted that idea into their minds as the "right way to bird".

SunnyClover!!!! This made me laugh out loud for real!!!!! Still chuckling!!

Ta-dah says a few words. She says Burt The Bird a lot, which is hard since she is no longer with us. Or No, her favorite is to tell everyone no..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Finally had a chance to hit the postoffice to send off the DNA samples. Sometime next week I should definitively now the sex of both conures....or as I suspect that they are both in fact velociraptors.

Can't wait to hear!!! It really sounds like they are doing very well if they nap together!!!! Of course they teach the bad things first!!! Penny does this hee haw sound when scared, Neptune loves that sound, and it's become a large part of his song of the people!

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
I love your new baby. :rainbow1:
What a cutie!

Glad they are getting along well.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

SunnyClover!!!! This made me laugh out loud for real!!!!! Still chuckling!!

Ta-dah says a few words. She says Burt The Bird a lot, which is hard since she is no longer with us. Or No, her favorite is to tell everyone no..
I'll just keep getting birds until one talks I guess? I'm just going to drown in a fluffy pile of screeching birds...

Just kidding...4 is more than enough screeching bird's to drown in....

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
They talk to you every day, Sunny. They tell you how much they love you. It's just that they can't speak english yet. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts