Black Capped Conure has attitude problem! Help!

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
Hi there, I'm new to the forums. I have a black capped conure (have had him for a little over a month) that is nippy to begin with. But when he looks in the mirror at himself, he gets... self centered is the only word I can think of. He also doesn't like coming out of his cage since his wings were clipped. He is one of a kind. When he's good, he's really good. But when he's bad... He's REALLY bad. And he's been screaming, yelling and I swear he has a battle cry. This is new behavior within the past 2 weeks. I'm not sure if it's these breeds of conures normal personality or if this is just weird behavior. Help please!

Mavis

Sep 6, 2014
Kent, UK
Parrots
Percy - 'maroon bellied gc conure' & Reggie - 'pineapple gc conure'
Hi, From my experience I would say please dont let him look in the mirror, I think they either feel threatened with reflection or bond to reflection, mine thinks his is a real mate! best thing is to not let it happen if you can, mine is way OTT he looks in anything reflective no matter where no matter how big or small : ( it is really sad x

OP
StarryEyedGirl

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
Oh lovely. A hormonal bird boy. Thanks guys. And that makes sense now that someone else has the issue. He bibs his head up and down almost like he's trying to court what he sees as the 'other bird'. Should I look into getting a female companion for him? Or would it matter if it was male of female?

OP
StarryEyedGirl

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
Okay. So the best thing is to deal with his crankiness, keep him away from mirrors and hope this passes? I'm sorry if I sound dumb. He's my first bird baby and I want to make sure I'm doing right by him.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Okay. So the best thing is to deal with his crankiness, keep him away from mirrors and hope this passes? I'm sorry if I sound dumb. He's my first bird baby and I want to make sure I'm doing right by him.

Yea i would just keep him single and work through it, Hopefully it wont last long.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Off topic, I see you live in Connectcut, I used to live in Waterbury, Watertown, then Naugatuck. Bailed out, now Florida with its wicked 70 deg winters! Welcome.

Most Reactions