Blue Crown Conure or Eclectus

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I would consider a budgie as well. That's what I had at your age.

They're super sweet, though can be sensitive if you mishandle them. If you want more of the outgoing 'big bird' personality that responds well to training, get a hand-fed one :) Most of my budgies came from the 'budgie bins' and did not like me whatsoever; it took months of patience to tame them, and even so they never took to me the same way that the ones I raised did. I met a few hand-fed babies, even, and those guys actively sought out my attention (RAN to me like puppies). I've even had friends that taught theirs tricks like recall training.

Budgies fostered in me a lot of passion and love for birds. Don't discount them. In fact I nearly got another budgie instead of the cute GCC I'd been researching.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Does anyone in your home have interest in birds?? I say this because I too agree that you may want to wait a few years before getting a large bird. They are a huge commitment. I could not imagine having any of my larger birds Grey Or Macs as a student or even in my early 20's.

I didn't get my first bird until I was 28 years old and I was pretty settled by then. If you have parents interested in the bird as well then I would say a larger bird would be ok if your parents are willing to care for it if plans change in your life. I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old. They've been around birds all their life. I adopted Sidney our Blue Crown Conure for them to interact with but he is still largely my bird and my responsibility. And I am prepared to take care of him the rest of his days. So if your parents have that same mind set, then a larger species would probably be ok. But if this bird is all on your shoulders I would recommend a conure (but they are VERY loud), budgie or cockatiel. Cockatiels make awesome pets! You have your whole life ahead of you. An Ekkie can be in your life at some point but you may want to wait until you know where your life is going first. ;)

Good luck either way and I hope you find the right bird for you! :)

41Gryphon

Oct 16, 2014
Maryland
Parrots
Eris the GCC (11 years), Diell the Sun Conure (2 years), Lule the canary, Drini the canary
Obviously you did not read my post on one of your other threads, so I'll post it again.

I am 16 years and I'm telling you right now that it might be near impossible to own a larger parrot, depending on your high school experience. I've had parrots for several years now (since I was 9 they have been my sole responsibility) and it was easy to care for them when I was younger, but now that I am a sophomore in high school I recognize that a conure is about the biggest bird I'm going to be able to handle until beyond college. I say this because of time/money restraints. You might get into another sport or after school activity, such as clubs. I always want to hang out with friends too, sometimes for hours after school if I don't have volleyball/track practice. What about AP classes, whose homework takes hours to complete? Even if you don't plan on doing any of those things right now, remember that high school is one of the periods where people tend to change drastically, I know I did.

I have a GCC and 2 canaries. I did have an Amazon, but I eventually rehomed him because of the pressure that was suddenly put on my when I switched from middle to high school. I actually got him my 8th grade year, so my situation was near exact to yours. It didn't work out. I didn't even have him for 2 years and I regret ever adopting him because it put the both of us through stress that we didn't need. I even struggle now to provide my GCC with what he needs emotionally/mentally but I am pushing myself to fulfill those needs and I intend to be his final home, so I expect it to get worse from here on out.

I know right now you feel like you have nothing to do after school but that will definitely change once you reach high school. You WILL begin to feel overwhelmed. It's almost unfair how abruptly things change, and it makes me mad how badly kids are unprepared for it.

And boy oh boy I can't estimate how college is going to be like for me. I've been getting my younger two siblings MUCH more involved with my birds so that I can prepare them to take over my birds' care in the event that I am not able to bring them along (even though I 100% plan to mail toys and supplies and oversee their care those 4+ years, and take them back ). Point being - it's hard to have such socially demanding pets at this age.

I suggest a cockatiel or a small conure such as a GCC. They're more manageable both size and cost wise, and when you're ready later on you can move up to bigger species once you know where you're going. Trust me, you'll see what I mean in a couple of years. You have to really commit to these guys.

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
Obviously you did not read my post on one of your other threads, so I'll post it again.

I am 16 years and I'm telling you right now that it might be near impossible to own a larger parrot, depending on your high school experience. I've had parrots for several years now (since I was 9 they have been my sole responsibility) and it was easy to care for them when I was younger, but now that I am a sophomore in high school I recognize that a conure is about the biggest bird I'm going to be able to handle until beyond college. I say this because of time/money restraints. You might get into another sport or after school activity, such as clubs. I always want to hang out with friends too, sometimes for hours after school if I don't have volleyball/track practice. What about AP classes, whose homework takes hours to complete? Even if you don't plan on doing any of those things right now, remember that high school is one of the periods where people tend to change drastically, I know I did.

I have a GCC and 2 canaries. I did have an Amazon, but I eventually rehomed him because of the pressure that was suddenly put on my when I switched from middle to high school. I actually got him my 8th grade year, so my situation was near exact to yours. It didn't work out. I didn't even have him for 2 years and I regret ever adopting him because it put the both of us through stress that we didn't need. I even struggle now to provide my GCC with what he needs emotionally/mentally but I am pushing myself to fulfill those needs and I intend to be his final home, so I expect it to get worse from here on out.

I know right now you feel like you have nothing to do after school but that will definitely change once you reach high school. You WILL begin to feel overwhelmed. It's almost unfair how abruptly things change, and it makes me mad how badly kids are unprepared for it.

And boy oh boy I can't estimate how college is going to be like for me. I've been getting my younger two siblings MUCH more involved with my birds so that I can prepare them to take over my birds' care in the event that I am not able to bring them along (even though I 100% plan to mail toys and supplies and oversee their care those 4+ years, and take them back ). Point being - it's hard to have such socially demanding pets at this age.

I suggest a cockatiel or a small conure such as a GCC. They're more manageable both size and cost wise, and when you're ready later on you can move up to bigger species once you know where you're going. Trust me, you'll see what I mean in a couple of years. You have to really commit to these guys.

This! Jack, this post is practically your future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J

JackTheParrotLover

Feb 13, 2016
Ok, final post for this thread from me. Thank you all of you guys, and Gryphon, I'm sorry I never saw that post. All I will say is my original plan was to get the conure, I wanted bird owners opinions on larger birds and the answer is obvious. Thank you all for your responses, and know that every one of them is taken into consideration. Bye!

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
13. How are you going to pay for the bird, cage, toys, food, vet visits, and everything else that comes along with it?

Also they will live for 50-75 years. You might want one now, but how about 5-6 years when you are in college? 10 years when you are married and starting to have a family?

They are a lifetime commitment.

41Gryphon

Oct 16, 2014
Maryland
Parrots
Eris the GCC (11 years), Diell the Sun Conure (2 years), Lule the canary, Drini the canary
Ok, final post for this thread from me. Thank you all of you guys, and Gryphon, I'm sorry I never saw that post. All I will say is my original plan was to get the conure, I wanted bird owners opinions on larger birds and the answer is obvious. Thank you all for your responses, and know that every one of them is taken into consideration. Bye!

Glad to hear. :) It is great that you are doing research before hand. I am sure you'll enjoy your new companion all the more since you will be well-prepared.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
And should I get a blue crown conure and get an Ekkie ( the bird I really want) after the conure as a second bird?

And finally, why do people put large birds out of the question for students even if they have plenty of time on their hands?

Thanks!

This is the answer to your question. If an eckie is the bird you really want, get an eckie. If AFTER that you find the BCC is ALSO the bird you really want, get that too. But I never ever suggest that people get any bird that they are t obsessed with owning.

As for time, many people own parrots and work full time. You just need to be dedicated to teaching them to self entertain, and giving them LOTS to do with their minds while you are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
And the reason I personally discourage students from getting birds isn't because of time per day, it's because of all the upheaval in that time of life. Are you sure you will be able to afford/find bird friendly housing? Vet bills? What if you meet someone and fall in love and the person hates birds? Just things to think about.

Jeans

Jul 14, 2016
So here is my opinion, I am 15 and I have had a cockatiel and a budgie and very recent a quaker. I have had my own pets since I was 11 and at 13 I had a lop eared rabbit, three rats, various insects, and a cockatiel under my complete care (parents paid for food)

I have to say that if I had had a quaker back then, it would be a very bored bird. Even my cockatiel did not have much.

And I was homeschooled which gave me the advantage of time. I now have a budgie and I have to say, I would choose a cockatiel over him.

I think you should get a cockatiel or budgie. Maybe even rescue it if you want a challenge (that is my favorite thing to do) because then you feel like you really earned it when the animal comes around.

I think you could definitely go for it, but as a rising 10th grader... If I was still in public school, i would have no where near enough time for my birds.

Definitely start small! But you can do it if you try hard enough. I know myself and my cousin have been super responsible with our very own animals for years and have never lost interest, even through the whole social things and school.

Just make sure you have the time always!

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
When I was in school I left my senegal with my mom. They did not get along. Kiwi the Senegal was a family bird but she picked me out of everyone. I got a cockatiel when I was in a little rental with roommates. That was perfect. I later gave my mom the cockatiel and took back Kiwi. Kiwi moved cross country with me. I had roommates some liked her others did not but it was fine because I did not like the ones that did not like her. Haha

Being a young adult with a bird can be done but don't go so big right away. If this is your first bird make sure it is easy to handle and travle size. One that will not piss off people that live with in ear shot.

For me my family like birds so that helped. If you have family even a crazy bird lady aunt that can help. Having a back up plan for is som thing happens. If you don't have a back up person that can help in time of need.... wait.

I also had to leave my dog with my parents when I moved. After a year I was able to go drive her cross country so she could life out the rest of her life with me.

Last edited:

Most Reactions