Blue fronted amazon

Helenamazon

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
I recently rehomed a 4yr old male. I realise it's early days ( 3 weeks ) but yoshi shows no interest in toys and only comes to me ( Helen) . As soon as he lands on me he is mouthing my fingers but gradually the pressure gets harder until it hurts . I'm not an experienced owner buy I did do lots of research . However struggling on this one . Yoshi also loves been in my mouth checking out my teeth . I understand the mouthing to a point but it hurts as the pressure builds and that's all he does ,it's really upsetting me .many thanks

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Biting on the fingers as described we generally call “beaking”
At 4 he is not a baby testing his strength.
In fact he’s getting close to puberty.

Beaking could indicate a wish/desire to play and roughhousing. This is what my Yellow nape does.

Could be showing desire for scratches .

But don’t let him into yo mouth.
human saliva has the wrong sort of bacteria and is bad for your bird.

OP
Helenamazon

Helenamazon

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
I don't really know how to stop him tbh so much conflicting advice around . Going to try saying no and leaving the room . Also using a clicker ,if he is good then reward with a treat .

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Well I kind of know what you mean.

My YNA Bingo likes to get up next to my face and cuddle.
But sometimes he is very insistent on kisses.
I just keep my lips pressed firmly together and he only gets a bit of his upper bill between my lips.

We all love photo's and we would love to see your new BFA.

Bingo grooming me.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure were you are getting your information from, but clearly not well conceived as the individual likely has just a bit more information than you.

“Beaking” sometimes called pressure testing commonly occurs with Younger Parrots and/or a Parrot in a new environment as they naturally attempt to push boundaries (or at least find them). The correct method would be to start by saying no, in a normal voice and continue to increase volume, while taking care not to turn this into a game called: The Amazon is In Control! I am continually disappointed in the lack of understanding about stating 'NO' and one matching out of the door, leaving the Amazon waiting in painful disappoint as their Human no longer loves them.

The Correct method comes from an Understanding of Amazon Body Language, which is well detailed at the TOP of the Amazon Forum. Read that Thread with Understanding!! Take it on as if it is your primary Language as your Amazon Expects you to know it as so! Amazons, as a very large group have a very defined body language that provides you with an understand of just how they are feel at that precise moment. In this case; Your correct response such be a short series of no, No, NO. Set the Amazon down and turn away for no more than about one minute. Any longer than your Amazon is no longer connecting you turning away as becoming connected to the "Beaking".

Take-on the task of "Learning Amazon Body Language"!! Guessing you are in North America, Amazon Hormonal Season is quickly coming and your Young Amazon will likely be affected to some level. Knowing what your Amazon is telling you will be crucial to keep you from being bitten very hard for not paying attention.

You are now 'Owned' by one of the Amazon Families famous: "Big Hot Three!!" Your knowledge level needs to rapidly grow as although they are true lovers, they can be very unforgiving to those who are totally unaware!!

I am owned by a 26 year old Double Yellow-Headed Amazon. I never, ever approach him unless I let him know 'in advance' that I am coming and what we are going to do. That may change if he happens to be in a full-on Hormonal Chemical Rush, or just not that interested, which means I suck-up my pride and move-on.

After you have a basic understanding of Amazon Body Language, it will be time to take on the much larger Segment found just below the segment on understanding Body Language! It is called "I Love Amazons -..."

Your Amazon is Waiting!!

OP
Helenamazon

Helenamazon

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Thankyou for your reply, I'm happy for any advice as I'm a newbie. Yoshi came from a good home but due to a sick family member just wasn't getting enough attention . Sadly tho his previous owner didn't do any training with him ,so he does have bad habits ie the breaking which he also did with her . I get excited to let yoshi out but he just constantly beakers my fingers ,ears or necks or wants in my mouth which I will definitely not allow now . Steps up no problem but moves to my shoulder straight away which I don't like as his behaviour is very unpredictable .
Forgot to say I'm based in the UK, last night I contacted a parrot rescue here to ask for advice ,I was basically told at 4yr old he is passed any help and I should give him up !!! ,this is not going to happen. And I definitely don't believe at 4yr old his behaviour can't be changed . Really horrified at what the guy said actually ,made me feel very sad . However today is a new day and I won't give up on yoshi xxx

Attachments

• 20231028_170007.jpg
    20231028_170007.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231027_155833.jpg
    20231027_155833.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 24

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Biting on the fingers as described we generally call “beaking”
At 4 he is not a baby testing his strength.
In fact he’s getting close to puberty.

Beaking could indicate a wish/desire to play and roughhousing. This is what my Yellow nape does.

Could be showing desire for scratches .

But don’t let him into yo mouth.
human saliva has the wrong sort of bacteria and is bad for your bird.
I most definitely keep your bird away from your mouth for good reasons. You don't know this bird very well and birds are so unpredictable. His beak is very powerful and he could bite your mouth. Even a little nip would be very painful. A "real" bite from a beak capable of cracking hard nuts could send you to the plastic surgeon to have your lip reconstructed. Second, your mouth is full of potentially harmful bacteria that could make your bird very sick.

Birds should not be allowed on shoulders or anywhere they have access to you face until they have earned your trust. This applies DOUBLY to any visitors that want to play with your bird. Don't let your bird have access to your visitors' faces until your bird has proven to be trustworthy. Lawsuits can and do happen and homeowners insurance policies don't cover parrot bites.

It always amazes me to see photos from zoos and wildlife parks where people can pay to have a huge macaw (or two) sit on their shoulders for a great photo. There's no way I would allow a "stranger" bird to get that close to my face! Even the best trained birds are STILL unpredictable wild animals. Look what happened to that Orca trainer in California a few years ago. She had been working with that Orca for a long time.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
A lost cause at 4 years old :mad: o_O
that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

Amazon’s are the bounce back king’s of the avian world.
At 4 years old he is just becoming an adult with so many good years ahead for him.
I think they just want to discourage you so they can get their hands on him.

wonderful pictures BTW.

as good buddies as Bingo and I are I don’t have trust to have him on my shoulder.
That may sound strange looking at the pictur I posted but as close as he is I can still see him.
when he’s on my shoulder I can’t tell if he’s getting upset and about to bite.
he has bit me hard twice on the ear and once on the back of my scalps.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wow, that kind of advice is just a taste the lack of knowledge or as my good friend stated; just wants you to give-up your Very Special Amazon: Without a series of very specific photos, which is not required at this time. But, it would appear that you have a hybrid Blue Fronted Amazon: A Yellow-Winged Amazon, which are common in the lightly forested /Fruit Orchards in far Southern Brazil / Northern Argentina.

You are not going to like me, but you need to seriously consider removing you face jewelry. I know that it likely has meaning to you, but if your Amazon is moving around your head on the shoulders or front and slips, your jewelry will likely be a quick grab point and you will have someplace near 500 grams hanging from one of them. Never the fault of the Amazon, as they are just attempting to save themself.

Your young Amazon is no where near locked into any specific behavior!

Also, the prior owner has provided a great deal of training for your young Amazon. "Beaking" is not a serious behavior issue as it is part of building trust (two-way) as you provide your Amazon knowledge what level of pressure is acceptable and you that it will not exceed that if a slip occurs! Stuff Happens!!

A Strong Trust Bond is Critical!!

OP
Helenamazon

Helenamazon

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
From this evening ,whilst sitting on my knee . Never just sat on my knee before

Attachments

• 20231103_195600.jpg
    20231103_195600.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231103_195445.jpg
    20231103_195445.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231103_195604.jpg
    20231103_195604.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 19

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
All great info from 2 of our most experienced AMazon owners! If you would like more info on how to discourage this biting issue, searh on here for :shunning: , its how unruly youngsters are disiplined in the wild. As 'Boats said, it has to be done within 1 minute or less, so the parrot can associate the shunning with the objectionable action.
DO NOT put him back in his cage when shunning - that only teaches the bird to bite when he wants to be taken back to or put into his cage. Instead use a handy chair back or other nearby, neutral place.

Most Reactions