Breeders who harness train?

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Did any of you (in the US) who bought a baby macaw have a breeder who did harness training for you when they were raising the baby? I was thinking that might be something I'd like, but trying to search for a breeder on google didn't really turn up much for me in that regard.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I think most breeders don't do much training; they leave that to the owners. Training is a great way to bond with a new bird, so I wouldn't get a "pre-trained" bird if I were you. I trained my caique to wear a harness in just a few training sessions, so it's really not that difficult, and it's really helpful with building trust between you and your bird. This video was really helpful to me when I was learning how to harness train Pippi: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etKRisR7vgo]Tips to Harness Train a Parrot - GoodBirdInc.com - YouTube[/ame]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've personally never heard of that. Probably because breeders are so busy with other aspects of raising the babies and would be too busy to add yet something else. Although they could make more money by charging for it. Seems like commonly breeders are willing to get LESS money by doing LESS (having the new owner handfeed) not more. Good luck :)

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
Wendy, of Wendy's Parrots harness trains.
You can google her.

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Thank you!

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
Rita at avian adventures aviary does. They have several species of macs too.

Most Reactions