Buy an Eclectus out of country?

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Hello :)

I was wondering if someone could help me out....I've been looking at Eclectus prices here in Canada, and there's a breeder near me that sells them for $1,700. I've read in the US you can get them for around $800 from a breeder.

Do any of you know if it's possible to buy a bird from the US and bring it into Canada? I can't get over the price difference!

Thanks very much.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Hmmmm, I don't know. Try googling around and see if you would have to pay fees to bring it in or go through quarantine.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm sure the Canadian equivalent of our USDA has some sort of number to call where you can get a straightforward answer. Explain you are looking to buy a pet parrot in the US and are wondering what the requirements to bring the bird into the country would be. IMO, in this sort of situation, it's best to go to the source rather than end up with a bird you can't legally cross the border with for some silly reason. You may find the extra cost is worth it to buy from a local breeder.

One more thing, if you can't drive across the border and pick the bird up, don't buy it. Shipping a bird is extremely stressful to the animal, and can result in injury or death. Any type of quarantine required would be just as stressful and dangerous. My moms DYH was imported, and even after 40 years, she has never really gotten over whatever happened to her in the quarantine center (she is a world different behaviorally than their similar age hand fed babies). Plus, you just never know if someone internationally is going to take your money and run with not a whole lot of legal action you can take to resolve it.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
You might find that the CITIES paperwork is so complicated and time consuming and hard to get that it is worth paying the extra just to get one in Canada. Unless you can find a breeder in the US who already has CITIES for the export.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Thank you, I'll try and research this more. You could be right, the time/extra expense might make it worthwhile to buy here. I'll see if I can find a number for the border near me as well to ask about it.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Update: Decided against importing, looks too complicated and costly. I actually found a breeder out west who is cheaper than the one I originally found, so when it's time, I'll be going there. $1,300 for the bird + $120 shipping.

Most Reactions