CAG, Eclectus, or Amazon? Help

Green

Jun 13, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Congo African Grey
Hi everyone! I'm going to be posting this in the different Species sections, just in case someone can "help" me who isn't going to visit every single one. I'm in the market to add a new feathered child to my home. I currently only have one other bird, a 7 & 1/2 month old Sun Conure, who is a riot. I'm going to be getting a larger bird. I have been researching the CAG and Eclectus extensively, The Amazon has recently gotten added to the mix after discussing some things with a amazon breeder and meeting some of the comical species, I have not done much research with that particular species yet, but I'm torn! I first off fell in love with the beautiful Eclectus. How can you not? They are some of the most gorgeous parrots I have ever seen. One of the doctors who used to work at the hospital had a beautiful male eclectus named Elvis who a character to say the least but he was a avid plucker :/ I'm also drawn to the African Grey, specifically the Congo, They are beautiful with their "coats of armor" and crimson tails. The intelligence on them is just astonishing! Last but not least is the Gorgeous Amazon, I would like to know anything anyone is willing to tell me or help me with. I think in the Amazon species I would prefer a blue fronted, yellow naped, or Double Yellow Headed. Anything is appreciated, just looking for some wonderful opinions!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Amazons are really noisy, as you are probably used to being a conure owner. If you do go for an Amazon, get ready for sundown!!! I think you have great choices, I would be in the same boat as you right now if I had my own house. Honestly I would pick between the African Grey and Eclectus and leave the Amazon for another time.... If I only had a conure and no other experience with larger parrots I would go for an Eclectus or Grey......I would just track down some breeders or the rescue and spend some time with the breeds and check it out yourself. Your own experience is going to mean way more than what we can advise you on. Do what you heart tells you!!! They are all amazing birds :D Honestly whatever you decide on and if it's well socialized and sweet will make a great pet for the rest of your life. I am already crying that I have to inherit my moms amazon since she is the same age as me, lol :) yay!!! It might help too to watch a ton of peoples videos on youtube too.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
There is quite a variety in personality among the birds you listed. Maybe take a look at what you envision life to be like with your new bird and what kinds of interaction you want. Amazons have some definite pros and cons compared to the other species. Pros: love to eat their veggies, rarely feather pick, generally don't get upset about life changes, like attention but are okay with it if you have a busy day and don't have time, generally like most toys, typically not afraid of much. Cons: tend to be more of a school bully type personality, overly confident, likes making obnoxious noises for the fun of it, sometimes aggressive and moody. It requires a little bit of a different way of thinking to really get along well with amazons. They can be absolute sweet hearts, but a lot of them don't like a lot of petting and it has to be on their terms. Ask first before sticking your hand in their face and be willing to accept NO for an answer. They might go through phases where they turn their back on you and generally indicate Not Right Now more often than they say Yes to your attempts at affection.

You might be able to sweet talk them into petting, but if they aren't in the mood and you make a habit of staying after them about accepting unwated affection, your relationship with the bird will suffer(read here, growling, backing away and biting when they see you coming). If you are a hands first, lots of petting, snuggling, wanting a bird to sit on your lap for long periods of time, it will be pretty hit and miss with an amazon. Some will take it, some just have better things to do than sit still and bet petted. They are easily excited, and excitement can mean bite. Unlike the african grey, they rarely try to sucker you into a bite. You'll be able to see it in their body language when they are feeling aggressive or they are so riled up they can't control themselves. After a few good chomps if you ask yourself what was going on right before that bite happened, you will learn to avoid situations that lead to the bite and it won't be much of an issue. I adore my amazons. But they aren't for everyone. The same exciteability that makes them good performers and talkers can also make them difficult to handle. Depending on how well you respect their moods and learn to handle them.
Melissa

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
During the time you are doing your "homework" it will be clear what perrot you like most

OP
Green

Green

Jun 13, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Congo African Grey
Thanks Melissa and Lin! That is some great advice. I definetly wanted to get some perspective from some people who own these wonderful birds, I think the amazon is out for me. It is between an African grey and an eclectus. I'm going to wait until some babies are born and then meet them and see if I connect with a certain one. Thank you so much guys. You have been helpful with your positive feedback as I like both species very much.

DukesAquarium

Sep 13, 2011
eclectus have a very loud scream!! just wanted to warn you because that's the reason i do not have one. I do have a CAG and A DYH amazon.

gazzington

Nov 28, 2011
I only have experience of an amazon. The reason I picked amazon over the african greys was due to me being afraid of it plucking itself if if I was out at work etc. I had always heard that an amazon is a bit more self reliant etc. Yes he can be moody and a little aggressive at times but very cuddly at other times. They are very human like in the way it depends what mood he is in. He is such a character though even if it is a day where he does not want to be picked up. All I know is that I would not want to be without him :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My Eclectus is very quiet and very loving. She loves to be handled by everyone in my large family. She does have a different relationship with each person though. With me and my 10 year old son she is loving and cuddly, Hubby and 17 year old son she like to wrestle and play fight, 14 year old son she seems to like mischief with. I homeschool so she is very rarely left alone, but she will get loud if she doesnt like a new person who enters the house or a new loud noise. She is also loud when the boys wrestle in the house or argue loudly. By loud I dont mean ear piercing, its more of a peacock sound that we all find is tropical and pretty. She goes with us alot as we run errands around town, she loves to sit on the grocery cart and stare at strangers. Do your research because the amount of time you have to spend with the bird will define what type of relationship you have with them.

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
I was owned by a yellow naped amazon for many years and I have to defend them. My Nappy was never noisy, I think that is based on each individual bird. I loved my nape, she could be touchy but she was every bit as cuddly as any other bird. I am now owned by an Congo grey and a female Ekkie. All of these birds can be wonderful companions if properly guided. I feel that each bird is different and that just because one bird screams, bites, etc does not mean that another bird of the same breed will do this. I feel you should meet the birds when you are ready so you can see that particular birds personality. Good luck tp you

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I back up Adinafloyd, as my Amazons are very quiet. It might be because they are a mated pair, but they have never made a loud noise yet and very rarely make any sound.The female will whistle to me and she says Hello, but the male is totally silent. Also my household is quiet, as my children are teens and the 10 year old is an actor they dont get rowdy much, just the occasional wrestle bout or arguement between brothers, but that is very rare for them as I taught my boys to respect the differences of others both human and animal. Our Alexandrine is quiet loud when he flock calls, ear piercing sometimes, but everyone just knows thats what he does. I swear the other birds roll their eyes at him sometimes. Yesterday while Buddy was being loud Ruby my Ekkie started telling him to" hush down, im napping" because I told her that when I was sick napping on the sofa and she wanted to keep asking whatcha doing.

Pitu

Sep 25, 2012
Media
Chicago area, IL
Parrots
White Bellied Caique
I'm gonna jump in to defend the Amazons as well. I had a Blue-Front for 12 years when we lived in FL and had absolutely NO issues with him. He did "call to the flock" sunrise and sunset...but only after we added an Umbrella Cockatoo (the most neurotic bird I have ever met). I purchased him while he was hand-feeding and brought him home as soon as he weaned: he was talking within days. He liked everyone and even put up with the dogs!

The only Amazons I've ever had issues with were Yellow-Napes: the ones I know seem to be crankier than the other Amazons. I would think that if you have a Conure now you would probably do well with an Amazon.

dawnkyung

Jul 23, 2012
Parrots
Banner, Amazon Parrot
I've been owned by a TAG and now by a Yellow-Crowned Amazon.

In comparison, Banner (amazon) has been quieter than Sachi (TAG). Sachi grew up with two cockatiels and picked up their flock call - it was very grating on the ears. By contrast, Banner has lived only in our now quiet household - she rarely screams, unless we are running the dishwasher or vacuum (or listening to loud music). If we're loud, she's loud, but those times are few and far between.

Sachi wanted my attention always. If I was home and not paying attention to her, she was calling to me. Banner is much more independent. She loves her toys and can amuse herself for hours. There have been more than a few times that I've gone to take her out and she looks at me like, "Seriously? Can't you see I'm playing here?". If three years ago you had asked me to choose between a bird who wants to be with me at all times vs one who can amuse themselves, I would have chosen the velcro bird. Now that I have experience with both, I much prefer the less-clingy, more independent choice.

Banner enjoys head scratches, but on her terms, and Sachi was the same way. Sachi liked to cuddle and be close (when she felt like it), but we are careful to not encourage this with Banner. We don't want her to overbond to one of us. Scratches are only on the head and only when she's in the mood for them.

Sachi talks up a storm at 3 years old. Banner is 7 months old and can only say "Hello". She also makes less sound effects than Sachi.

Both are fabulous birds, but of the two, Banner fits into our life better.

Last edited:

lokiNotis

Jul 3, 2012
WV
Parrots
Loki-Green Cheek Conure
Otis-blue Quaker Bandit-YNA
I too have to defend the Amazons. I have a Yellow Nape Amazon and he is great. He is not a bit agressive or loud. Now my Quaker is extremely loud and is a one person bird. My Amazon will play with his toys for hours. As others have said some may be cuddle bugs and some could care less about being picked up or petted. I was also torn between an Amazon and a CAG, but for me I am glad I went with the Amazon. Do research, talk to breeders and visit birds. Then you will know which bird is right for you. Good luck!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Another Amazon lover here. I've got 2 of them, a female 13 year old Yellow Nape and a 5 month old male DYH. BOTH are fantastic. My girl is THE quietest bird ever. Never screamed in her life, but she WILL talk and sing up a storm. My young male has been extremely quiet so far and loves me to death. :D

I also had a pair of Red Sided Eclectus for about 18 months. The female was quiet, loving and sweet, while the male was THE biggest yapper I've ever had. He wouldn't shut up long enough for us to watch a TV show. :rolleyes: We moved them across the house, to a different room, only to find he would scream even louder.

The screaming taught me Macaw to holler "shut up" (I didn't teach him that, my kids did). So it was a constant back and forth. Male Ekki screeching, Macaw hollering back for him to Shut Up. I don't want to know what my neighbors were thinking during that time. :eek:

I agree with others. Do TONS of research, visit as many birds as possible, play with them, and hopefully one of them will pick YOU to be their person. :)

Most Reactions