Cage bottoms

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
So I gotta ask how you guys have the bottom of your cages set up?

I was told by the breeder I got Rio from to use bird-safe wood chips and to remove the floor grate so he could get to the floor. Rio loved this and it made the cage a bit taller which was nice but I'm just wondering if this is right or if I should use a different method?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I keep the grate in so he doesn't stomp in poop. Due to our current housing situation, I am currently just using paper on the floor. Bought a giant roll of butcher paper on amazon so I don't have to overlap sheets of newspaper (which is too small for a single sheet to fit the bottom of the cage).

When we lived somewhere we had a yard, I used washable cage liners made of fleece and a waterproof backing (I made them). I could shake them out outside and machine wash them. Similar concept to cloth diapers, only bird cage liners and they worked really well and were absorbent when he takes his near daily dish baths (paper just gets soaked and sticks to the bottom). I doubt being 3 stories up our neighbors would appreciate me shaking out bird poo and food etc... over the balcony but as soon as we move out of here in a few years, I'm going back to my more absorbent cloth liners!

Last edited:
OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'm in the same situation as you. 3rd floor apartment. No balcony though. I would have loved to have a balcony and bird proof it with a mesh or really strong net to let them be outside but safe but I'll have to settle for a Gallery apartment which is really fun for a flighted bird. Not so much when they don't want to go into the cage though

okay, I'll be putting newspaper down from now underneath the grate. Strangely Rio had no interest in his poo and never stood in it, he just liked cracking the wood chips and finding different pellets on the floor of the cage. Saying that if he did a poo on the sofa he would immediately try to eat it, only on the sofa though so I watched him like a hawk when he was there

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
For me I just use newspaper. Our cage has a removable grate along with a removable tray at the bottom. I've never thought about removing the grate, but I'm really inexperienced LOL. Should I be? Anyways newspaper is my preference due to the cost and general ease of cleaning. Luckily Sammy doesn't take baths in his water dish, so the newspaper rarely gets wet!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Newspaper is my favorite.... paid for and clean! Always placed in the tray below the grate, so they can't make a worse mess and get contaminated.

I do try to place pictures of disliked individuals, generally politicians, where the bird can be artistic!! :D

Most Reactions