Cage hacks?

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
I am about to get a conure and have a cage set up. I was buying perches and toys and realized that a lot of toys hang from the top of the cage. The way my cage is setup, there is not a grated ceiling so there's nothing to hook a toy onto. Any ideas on some material to hang from side to side of the cage to use to hang toys off of?

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Is it a bird cage?
Have you got photos?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good questions and ideas.

A photo would help.

Welcome to the Forums!

OP
C

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
I dont know how to post pictures on here from my phone but my cage has a rooftop where there is no grates on the ceiling so I need to know a safe material I could use as a hanging tool.

OP
C

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
here is the cage.

Attachments

• 20180731_094549.jpg
    20180731_094549.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 128

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the photo.

What I always suggest to people getting a new cage and setup.... have a way for the bird to climb all the way from the bottom to the top.

Make it so perches overlap some and have different types of perches. Soft rope perches, natural wood perches, the ones that file their nails, etc. you can hang toys on the side. Swings and ladders help too!

Here's mine, so you have an idea.

kY7R7fy.jpg

The setup has changed some since I took this picture, but you get an idea of how many toys there are, how many perches, etc.

OP
C

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
yeah so I know my cage doesn't have enough stuff in it because I haven't gotten anything else yet. I am asking about ideas how to hang from the top because I dont have those wires. obviously I know I need more in the cage than my two perches.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
You could string some plastic chain across the top-connect it at the top of the walls. Then you can hang stuff from that. I ordered a bunch from mysafebirdstore.com and it was cheap. That site will be a great place to pick up other supplies while you’re at it. You’ll want some natural wood perched at the very least. Those dowels are hard on little feet. You can also get toys and even toy parts there to make your own.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well, you can do a few different things to hang toys/perches/boings/etc., you don't necessarily have to hang them from the top of the cage, nor do you want them all to hang from the top of the cage. I don't think I've ever set-up a bird cage where many of the toys were/are hanging from the top of the cage/under the roof of the cage...

So one option is to simply buy the toys with the clips that you're talking about and hang them from the side-bars of the cage, all over the place, on each side of the cage and at each height level. The other thing you can do is hang them from the perches, so they dangle down to the perch below, or down towards the floor. You can hang pretty much any type of toy from the side-bars and from any different type of perches (which is another good thing to buy many different types of, both sizes/diameters and of different materials, including at least one that is a sand/nail-filing perch to keep his toenails smooth)...

As far as hanging them from the top of your cage, I would simply use some metal chain and stretch it across the very top of the cage, and then put a metal clip on each end of the chain and attach each end to the side-bars at the very top of the cage. You can buy all different sizes/diameters and lengths of stainless metal chain that is not plated with anything and is bird-safe at any Walmart, they actually have a really nice selection of stainless and/or galvonized metal chain, along with all different types of quick-clips/carabiners that are really cheap...They're located in the aisle at Walmart near the tool aisles, the one with all the 3M Command-Hooks, the furniture moving-pads and dollies, and all of the picture hanging and shelf hanging hardware. That's where I buy all of the chain I use to make my bird's toys with, and in my Walmart there is a huge rack of nothing but different metal chain directly across the aisle from the 3M Command-Hooks (which is a nice cage by the way; nice a big; I don't know what species of Conure you are planning on getting, but this type of cage would be great for a Green Cheek, as not only are they smaller than the Suns/Jendays/Nandays, but they absolutely love to climb up and down all the time, and hang upside down from things, hang from the side-bars of the cage, etc., so this type of tall, more narrow cage is great for Green Cheeks).

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Thanks for the photo.

What I always suggest to people getting a new cage and setup.... have a way for the bird to climb all the way from the bottom to the top.

Make it so perches overlap some and have different types of perches. Soft rope perches, natural wood perches, the ones that file their nails, etc. you can hang toys on the side. Swings and ladders help too!

kY7R7fy.jpg

The setup has changed some since I took this picture, but you get an idea of how many toys there are, how many perches, etc.

That house is a MANSION for two lil' 'teils :eek: Beebs would get lost in that lol ;)

Jim

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the photo.

kY7R7fy.jpg

That house is a MANSION for two lil' 'teils :eek: Beebs would get lost in that lol ;)

Jim

And that's only ONE SIDE of the cage!! It's huuuuuge.

OP
C

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
Also, did I need a perch right up to the food and water bowls or will a conure perch on the bowls while eating?

OP
C

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
is this rope safe to use in my cage?

Attachments

• 20180801_142830.jpg
    20180801_142830.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 79

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Also, did I need a perch right up to the food and water bowls or will a conure perch on the bowls while eating?

It would be helpful!

I'm not sure of that rope, if going into the cage I personally would not -- ropes depending on how soft and how tightly wound can end up getting chewed and ingested, or your bird can shred the material and get it wrapped around their head and then they have a fight with the rope one day, can't get free and perish.

What were you looking to do with this rope?

OP
C

conureconnie

Jul 29, 2018
Texas
Parrots
GCC- Ben
I was going to tie it at the top of the cage from side to side to hang some toys off of.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Another option is to put a ladder across the cage and hang toys from the ladder.

Another option is to use zip ties to attach toys to a perch so the bird can climp down from the perch onto the toy... downside then is they tend to poop on their toys.

Most Reactions