Can anyone identify this amazon?

jnarb68

Jan 3, 2011
Hi just got this bird its 3 and a half years old past owner wasnt sure what he was either a blue fronted or orange wing can anyone help me out?

Attachments

• P1060367.jpg
    P1060367.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4,504
  • P1060369.jpg
    P1060369.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 714
  • P1060339.JPG
    P1060339.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 813
  • P1060340.JPG
    P1060340.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 575

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
It appears to be a Blue Front, that being said it could be a hybrid very common with amazons, there are several sub-species of blue/fronts so it may not look like somebody else's B/F, PS definitely not a OWA, even thou the spread wing looks alot like a hen OWA.

Last edited:
OP
J

jnarb68

Jan 3, 2011
Only problem is no black beak no dark feet and the yellow comes before the blue on the head so Yes I guess it can be a cross..

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Well i don't know about the beak and feet thing but it's the yellow in the bend of the wing that throws me. Must be a hybrid.i guess you could spend a lot of money to DNA but if it's a pet don't stress, just give him some scratches for me.Hey Orange and Blue must be a Gator fan.

Last edited:
OP
J

jnarb68

Jan 3, 2011
Yes I know certain aspects of the bird resemble a blue fronted and certain aspects resemble an orange wing I can send pics of othe orange wings I have saved from the net that look exactly like this 1 with its wings fully spread.. Its weird

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Don't bother, i have a house full of OWAs ,i edited my last rely.

OP
J

jnarb68

Jan 3, 2011
Ahh ok LoL a house full aye? That must be some noise.. Hey do any of them have that coloration to there wings when they are fully spread from above? The Blue with the red? I have pics of both blue fronted spread like that and owa but the ones of the owa seem to have more of the red feathers than the blue fronted I have seen.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
The spread wing photo looks like an OWA, some say that hens have 4 maroon feathers and males have 5 but that's not always true. I'm not as up on BFs because i don't mess with them, the few i've delt with were mostly Chacco BFs and are a lot yellower in the face than your bird but there are many subs, If you don't mind i can send your photos to a real expert.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Hey, my buddy say's that is a BF/OWA hybrid. If it came from S. Fla it could have come from some feral flocks of OWA, BF that the locals take from the nest trees once a year, or some thought less person that let pet birds hybridize. Just don't tell him he's a bastard. (LOL) anyway it looks like you've got a good buddy there, good luck

OP
J

jnarb68

Jan 3, 2011
Hey henpecked thanks for the info thats what we were thinking he was a cross breed he's actually an excellent bird talks up a storm and is very clear when he speaks which will only get better with time now that he's with people that will spend time with him..

He has a very good disposition also for a bird that didnt have much human company in the last year... Well again thanks :)

OP
J

jnarb68

Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.. I answered you on the other forum as well tell your buddy I said thanks as well..

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
you got yourself an Orange Winged Amazon. Was the same question i had when i got mine, thinking that its a BFA. The combination of the horn and black colored beak is one of the givaways, the second is the orange in his wings.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
file.php
file.php
Hey Mandy, the bird in your avatar may not be a true Orange Wing, it too appears to be a cross BF/OWA, I have 6 unrelated OWAs if you'd like for me to send you some pics. The two on the left are 10wks old , the two on the right are approx. 20-25yrs old, They are a rare pair of tame breeders, Any other pics will have to be of breeders in a cage or of immatures.

Last edited:

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
HenPecked,

Found this forum doing a google search on my Sammy. I have the same question about mine. wondering if you could and would mind offering me any info.
This is Sammy. Not sure of his age. Im not the first owner. I would love to verify his age and breeder. Im confused if he is a Blue-front or OWA. the things confusing me are the beam is lighter colored at the base and the eyes are colored in blue. I have seen BFA and OWA on the net. He almost looks to be both, maybe hybrid. His band has RM 8 WA. I assume WA is Washington, the search for that led me here. I sure hope someone can help.
I can not figure out yet how to load a pic for ya. I will be working on that .

thanks so much

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
The head markings on my Sammy look identical to the one the gentleman is holding in front of him. Awesome. so glad I saw this. cant get my photo's to load. have to learn how to do that .

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The head markings on my Sammy look identical to the one the gentleman is holding in front of him. Awesome. so glad I saw this. cant get my photo's to load. have to learn how to do that .

Do you have a photobucket account?? If so load pictures on there and copy direct link, on here in the reply/post box there's a picture icon you click on that, then paste your link within the box that pops up then click ok. Then click post and it should pop up.

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Thanks MikeyTN,
I am going to get photobucket right now. load pic's shortly. thanks for the help.
your "Lola" is a beauty.

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
IMAG4567-1_zps66426151.jpg

2875860d-c323-4b1f-94ba-9aa6feadec4c_zpsf33c0add.jpg

6f93dbfa-a74f-47c7-a88b-65d4d277ad95_zpse055b982.jpg

IMAG4567_zps71befe8f.jpg

Here's the best pic I have saved so far. I am more confused by the color around the eyes than anything else. I have searched so many photo's looking for another one with the blue eyes and haven't found one yet. But his blue is at the base of the beak like other Blue Fronts.
Thanks for any help

Most Reactions