Can I train my bird without using the training diet?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I have actually had a "professional parrot trainer" explain to me in detail that the only way for a bird to learn a trick is to weigh them every day and keep them at the highest weight at which they are still motivated to get a treat, which is usually about 10% lighter than when they start the process.i was aghast, then I realized this woman had no concept of bird psychology, bonding, friendship, or trust, she had simply been given a formula to follow in order to teach two macaws to fly around a stadium and return for food during the Dixie Stampede. I'm glad people are questioning the advice they get on any diet related training techniques.

With my birds I feed a fresh and live meal for breakfast, enough that they finish it before it spoils. Then in the evening they get either more fresh, pasta, bread, etc, pellets, nuts, or seeds for the ones who require it such as budgies. I mix it up a lot. I find that most of my birds will not focus well for training sessions before breakfast, likely because 30 other birds are clamoring for sold, or because they know everyone else is eating. I tend to train in the early afternoon, before supper and before the birds are asking for supper. I use whatever the healthiest treat I can interest them in is. For Flick, that is water, but it has to be in a glass, and I have to tip it for her to drink out of!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
And my question is..how do I start a training program..is there a web site or handbook for command training. My lil sissy I feel is young enough and still some what fresh to learn. Also I want to teach her to say more words, her vocabulary is very limited to hi, hello,comeback,I'll scratch your back, I'll getcha and go get dad. I'll be ordering her an aviator harness as well..gotta get her wings to grow back from the hack job her last owner did..advice would be greatly appreciated.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Follow every instruction to the letter that he aviator harness DVD comes with. I don't use any specific program for training, you just decide what you want them to do,many break it down into steps for easy learning. YouTube is great for this :) Barbara Heidenrieck (probably not the right spelling) is a great resource. bird tricks.com has some good stuff....aaaaaaand some bad stuff, so use your best judgement!

Most Reactions