Can I trust my breeder?

OP
O

olivierr1

May 22, 2020
So the birb is finally here! The breeder was genuinely outstanding, he cared very well for the birds and was relieved he was going to a good home.
After an agonizing trip home in the heat, he's now in his cage.
I can tell he hasn't been in a cage this big before, he is constantly walking all over the cage just exploring and touching everything. He's gonna be a good one!
He has been constantly walking across the ceiling of the cage tho, is that normal?

He has been on a seed diet thus far and I'll be trying out vegges from tomorrow morning onwards and start adding pellets to his diet too.

Since it's so darn hot in the UK at the moment, is it ideal I bath him daily? To cool him down?

He is in a good spot in the living room and probably won't overheat, just want to make sure.

Also, when should I start bathing him? Apparently he loves water and has been bathed daily. Just don't want to move too quickly..

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
how hot is "darn hot"?
There was a time when I was in the UK and they thought high 70s (F) was sweltering lol. Basically, you have to look at what your bird is used to before making that call and never put a bird to bed wet.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Also what do you mean by "bathing him?" Do you mean providing a larger dish of water for him to bath himself? Or spraying him gently with a light spray mist-er? If you're gonna bathe your bird I'd recommend only one of these two options, at least to start. IF you choose a spray mist, after first letting him feel the wetness, then restrict your spray to only part of the cage, so he will quickly learn that if he doesn't want it he can move away.

I would not recommend any other type of bathing so soon after getting him. He finds himself in a new location and is learning whether he feels safe or not, and he is potentially feeling stressed after the trip. You don't want any negative association that could lead to any fear or aversion to bathing.

So again, a gentle mist-spray from which he can easily step away, or an extra bowl from which he can bathe himself, are likely really fine, but I'd recommend nothing more for now, at least until he is settled in or seems to be himself seeking out, say, water faucets himself for a bath.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
As far as the ceiling-walking, that is normal. Some birds enjoy playing Upsidedown Birdie, and some prefer to remain mostly upright.

OP
O

olivierr1

May 22, 2020
For now I'll be sticking to spraying, I have a large spare bowl he can use as well that I'll try later on.

Temperature-wise I mean high 70's yeah, maybe low 80's. It's quite humid in the UK so it instantly feels like a sauna, I honestly don't know how warm his previous home was.
He seems comfortable tho! I'll just stick to a morning spray and see how he reacts.

He's been eating away, hasn't sat still since we got in.

Now I need a name..

Most Reactions