Can't wait to get my little sun conure! [Update: arrived!]

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
I am living in China and we have strict rules to parrots: basicly only budgie, cockatial and some species of love birds are allowed. Fortunately, these years more kinds of parrot are permitted for breeders such as green cheek conures. However, I was really impressed by sun conures since I first saw the picture of them at the really young age. When I first saw it I know my dream is to have one!!! I wait and wait and finally...... when Hainan(the southest China provence, a large island) becomes the free trade port, breeders and pet stores there are allowed to sale more kinds of parrot, including sun conure!!! I was so happy when I noticed that!Finally I am able to raise a sun conure!
However I was still busy at that time because my exams(so sad). I finished my exams last week and get time to raise a parrot! I bought the cage, food and toys for my new sunnie first, then ordered a sun conure from a Hainan local pet stores which can send parrot through airline. This is the picture from the vedio they send me. So cute!
微信图片_20230616102208.png

This little parrot is only around two mouth old. Sadly I do not know the gender of my little bird: They have not test it and I asked them to do so, but it takes time. But I think at least my little bird need to have a name! I decided to name he or she Pawpaw because its color is just like pawpaw's surface yet, and after growing up its color will be like the inside of the pawpaw...so cute. And the black is like the beak at the same time.
微信图片_20230616102755.jpg
微信图片_20230616102804.jpg

I am able to pick my sun conure in the airport tomorrow! I am so happy! Can't wait to see!

By the way, I do not have much experience on non-China forum, and my English is learned from school, so please forgive me if this record is a little bit strange and formal, or some words that may use not properly. I am going to learn more about my parrot and English at the same time!

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congratulations! I love your name choice and the reason behind it with those colors. You are about to go on quite the journey with new parrot ownership! Do be prepared for Pawpaw to need some rest and decompression time to adjust to his or her new home at first and to recover from the stress of the transportation. It will take some adjustment time after being moved into a new environment. It's usually best for the first couple of days to give them time in their new cage to just rest a little bit and get used to your presence in the room. After he or she is settled in you can start working on bonding and building trust and then eventually training! It takes a lot of work and patience but they are so worth it!

Love to hear how excited you are and I wish you the best of luck with your new baby.

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
Congratulations! I love your name choice and the reason behind it with those colors. You are about to go on quite the journey with new parrot ownership! Do be prepared for Pawpaw to need some rest and decompression time to adjust to his or her new home at first and to recover from the stress of the transportation. It will take some adjustment time after being moved into a new environment. It's usually best for the first couple of days to give them time in their new cage to just rest a little bit and get used to your presence in the room. After he or she is settled in you can start working on bonding and building trust and then eventually training! It takes a lot of work and patience but they are so worth it!

Love to hear how excited you are and I wish you the best of luck with your new baby.
Thank you for your answer and advices! I am glad that you like the name. Sure I will let Pawpaw has some rest in her cage without me after he or she arrives, and I am looking forward to make strong bonds and play with pawpaw in the future.
I don't know why, but the last part of my article seems disappeared when I first submit so you may not see it. I was going to say that I do not have much experience on non-China forum, and my English is learned from school, so please forgive me if this record is a little bit strange and formal, or some words that may use not properly. I am going to learn more about my parrot and English at the same time!

Last edited:

JinPicaJest

May 12, 2023
Parrots
Jingo - Cinnamon GCC
Picasso - Pineapple GCC
Court Jester - BCC
Oh, I'm so glad you are getting your dream parrot. You are starting on a wonderful life together.

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
PawPaw looks adorable in the picture! Take more photos when you get him..
Yes Pawpaw is so adorable! Ofcourse I will. Maybe I can create another message and post pawpaw's picture every week

ray-of-flight

Jun 14, 2023
Parrots
None yet, am studying for my first one
Sun conures are gorgeous and the name is perfect. Congratulations. Are you familiar with the Jungle Book? A song in it has the lyrics "Now when you pick a pawpaw, or a prickly pear". When your bird is being cranky you can tell it it's being a prickly pear 😂
(edit in case that meaning isn't familiar, in english 'prickly' like a cactus is also used when people are in bad mood, you can say they're being prickly)

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
I am living in China and we have strict rules to parrots: basicly only budgie, cockatial and some species of love birds are allowed. Fortunately, these years more kinds of parrot are permitted for breeders such as green cheek conures. However, I was really impressed by sun conures since I first saw the picture of them at the really young age. When I first saw it I know my dream is to have one!!! I wait and wait and finally...... when Hainan(the southest China provence, a large island) becomes the free trade port, breeders and pet stores there are allowed to sale more kinds of parrot, including sun conure!!! I was so happy when I noticed that!Finally I am able to raise a sun conure!
However I was still busy at that time because my exams(so sad). I finished my exams last week and get time to raise a parrot! I bought the cage, food and toys for my new sunnie first, then ordered a sun conure from a Hainan local pet stores which can send parrot through airline. This is the picture from the vedio they send me. So cute!
View attachment 51574
This little parrot is only around two mouth old. Sadly I do not know the gender of my little bird: They have not test it and I asked them to do so, but it takes time. But I think at least my little bird need to have a name! I decided to name he or she Pawpaw because its color is just like pawpaw's surface yet, and after growing up its color will be like the inside of the pawpaw...so cute. And the black is like the beak at the same time.
View attachment 51580View attachment 51581
I am able to pick my sun conure in the airport tomorrow! I am so happy! Can't wait to see!

By the way, I do not have much experience on non-China forum, and my English is learned from school, so please forgive me if this record is a little bit strange and formal, or some words that may use not properly. I am going to learn more about my parrot and English at the same time!
He/she is so cute!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Your English is great. You have a massive vocabulary.

I think the hard part must be the verb tenses.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! WHat a great name! Pawpaw! Note, your English is fine, do not hesitate to write anything.

So I can recommend that you go to the Amazon sub-forum here and read the sticky at the top of the page, "I Love Amazons". It has so much good information that applies to all parrots. You will find out diets, heath, care and so much more.

Yes give your new baby a week, perhaps more, to settle in and become comfortable in his new surroundings. I hope your breeder sent some of the food the baby has been eating, so he gets what he has been used to eating. Babies need to eat everyday, getting bigger and increasing weight steadily. Best thing is to have a cheap kitchen scale and weigh him every day, to make sure he is growing.

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
Congratulations!! What a great choice and a great name.

I agree with everyone else your English is fine and you should definitely keep posting!

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
aww!! so cute!! i am curious, and by no means intend to inflict judgment. Does china have a pet limit?

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
Sun conures are gorgeous and the name is perfect. Congratulations. Are you familiar with the Jungle Book? A song in it has the lyrics "Now when you pick a pawpaw, or a prickly pear". When your bird is being cranky you can tell it it's being a prickly pear 😂
(edit in case that meaning isn't familiar, in english 'prickly' like a cactus is also used when people are in bad mood, you can say they're being prickly)
Thank you! I haven't heard the song before but its so funny. Sure I will call Pawpaw a "pricky pear" when it is cranky hhh (I am sure it will)

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
Your English is great. You have a massive vocabulary.

I think the hard part must be the verb tenses.
Thank you. But I think my English still requires a long way to improve. Yes I feel it is hard to remembering changing verb when changing tenses, they are all the same in Chinese.......

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
Welcome and be welcomed! WHat a great name! Pawpaw! Note, your English is fine, do not hesitate to write anything.

So I can recommend that you go to the Amazon sub-forum here and read the sticky at the top of the page, "I Love Amazons". It has so much good information that applies to all parrots. You will find out diets, heath, care and so much more.

Yes give your new baby a week, perhaps more, to settle in and become comfortable in his new surroundings. I hope your breeder sent some of the food the baby has been eating, so he gets what he has been used to eating. Babies need to eat everyday, getting bigger and increasing weight steadily. Best thing is to have a cheap kitchen scale and weigh him every day, to make sure he is growing.
Thank you for your advices and encouragement! I looked that website, its really helpful. Sure I have a scale for my gecko, and I will also use that to record Pawpaw's weight everyday.
[Edit]: By the way, do you think it is nesscary to take Pawpaw to a vet after receving my bird? I heard different views about it.

Last edited:
OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
aww!! so cute!! i am curious, and by no means intend to inflict judgment. Does china have a pet limit?
Thank you! No worries, I think China doesn't have a pet limit, however the restrictions is strict to those endangered species, such as many parrots and reptiles. I would say that maybe they haven't realize that some endangered species though are endangered in the wild, but are already have mature artificial reproduction techniques and history, such as sun conure and ball pythons ( I heard that ball pythons are common pets in many countries, but they are not allowed in China). Luckly more kinds of pets are allowed in China in the past two years, so I hope that Chinese can also raise big parrots and reptiles as other countries people in the future.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts