Can't Decide: Blue and Gold or Greenwing Macaw?

Greenwing or Blue and Gold?

• Greenwing

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Blue and Gold

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Either

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters
OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
The Breeder just sent me pictures of her current babies. I so wish it were April now! But we're busy getting ready for our Hahns and two baby macaws will be a handful!

Pictures below:

Greenwings:
DSC00230.JPG

DSC00232.JPG

Blue and Golds:
DSC00233.JPG

DSC00234.JPG

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
The Breeder just sent me pictures of her current babies. I so wish it were April now! But we're busy getting ready for our Hahns and two baby macaws will be a handful!
Yep, could get a bit busy for you!

Pictures below:
What a great looking group of sweet little guys (the B&Gs AND the GWs) :)

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
They are so cute, But the Green Wings has my heart. Thanks for sharing Joe

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
I have to side with all the greenwing lovers. I ha e always wanted a greenwing. I was looking for a greenwing when I came across my 2 Catalina hybrids a breeder in my state had for sale. I am still looking for my greenwing & will find it when the time is right.

So, did you decide on a Hahns instead of a B&G or a greenwing? I saw one at our local pet store a few months back. It was sweet, but looked so small compared to my 2 boys. I can't get over the cost ya'll have to pay for your parrots. I guess supply & demand will always be in short supply out your way. Here in the states, they are often given away due to someone not researching just how much is really involved in keeping these wonderful creatures we love in colorful feathers.

Good luck with whichever species you have decided on. Macaws are adorable & fun to have around, even on their 'bad' days.

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I have to side with all the greenwing lovers. I ha e always wanted a greenwing. I was looking for a greenwing when I came across my 2 Catalina hybrids a breeder in my state had for sale. I am still looking for my greenwing & will find it when the time is right.

So, did you decide on a Hahns instead of a B&G or a greenwing? I saw one at our local pet store a few months back. It was sweet, but looked so small compared to my 2 boys. I can't get over the cost ya'll have to pay for your parrots. I guess supply & demand will always be in short supply out your way. Here in the states, they are often given away due to someone not researching just how much is really involved in keeping these wonderful creatures we love in colorful feathers.

Good luck with whichever species you have decided on. Macaws are adorable & fun to have around, even on their 'bad' days.

We have always planned to get two macaws - however I am getting the Hahns first end of this year, and either a B&G or a GW for later. (Aprilish)

I hope that a year down the track we can expand our collection to three BUT that is pending on how we go with the two we already have. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My heart melted when I saw those pictures. :D

I bet you are counting down the days until you get your Hahn's baby, Alisana, and then...very shortly after that you'll get #2 :)

Pictures below:

Greenwings:
DSC00230.JPG

DSC00232.JPG

Blue and Golds:
DSC00233.JPG

DSC00234.JPG

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I don't have a lot of macaw experience but I met a greenwing that was a total doll, he'd stick his beak through the cage to get beak scratches...but then again I met a blue and gold that was adorable and came when called and such....I dont know I like both :)

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
Yeah, I would kill for a Major Mitchell, I love them and they are impossible to find here.

Where I live in Au we get Major Mitchells by the hundreds sitting in power lines or just playing in the grass on the ovals or destroying the gum trees.
They are by far the most common bird here (aside from sea gulls) along with pink and greys, budgies and 'tiels.
I would love a Hyacinth or Green wing but the prices are just far too restrictive :(

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yeah, I would kill for a Major Mitchell, I love them and they are impossible to find here.

Where I live in Au we get Major Mitchells by the hundreds sitting in power lines or just playing in the grass on the ovals or destroying the gum trees.
They are by far the most common bird here (aside from sea gulls) along with pink and greys, budgies and 'tiels.
I would love a Hyacinth or Green wing but the prices are just far too restrictive :(

Haha, yeah, I wanted a Hyacinth - but they come in at $53k - and there are only 2 breeders as far as I am aware, and most of the time they want to sell them as breeding birds rather than pets. (Wasted gene pool if it became a pet)

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
They are such adorable babies. I'm not sure if there are any GW breeders in WA but if so they get put on my future flock additions list. I just got an email with some B&G babies pictures from a breeder too. Fingers crossed one of them might be coming to live with me. He breeds Scarlets too and has a pair up for sale. If I had a spare $20,000 I'd be buying that pair.

Morthy

May 27, 2013
Hungary
I was going to get a GW, then I saw the vids and pictures of Fargo, and some other vids on Youtube. :D

I really can't decide.

What is the main difference in their personalities in general? People say lots of different things.

Some people say that the GW is smelly, some say it is not.

Most of the people choose the B&Gs, but as I see, the GW is winning in the vote.

Please, give me more opinions, it would help a lot. :)

Also, I know that it is an old topic, I just didn't want to create a new one.

Last edited:

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I hate to bring this up, but as of late, any time I see someone post that they are wanting a macaw, I feel compelled to do so. My mobile bird groomer recently had the tip of her finger bit clean off by a scarlet macaw while filing her beak. It took 11 stitches to reattach her finger and they aren't sure whether it will take or not.

It is just a little food for thought. With a baby, it will grow with you and hopefully bond quicker and easier with you than an older bird. The problems that I see with older birds is that folks get them and then become intimidated by that large beak once the honeymoon is over with, and wind up leaving the bird alone and then eventually rehoming them.

Macaws young or old will try you ever now and then by lunging at you as if wanting to rip your arm off and beat you with it. That is what macaws do. You have to be able to handle this and no how to deal with it. This is where most wouldbe macaw owners make their mistake and let their bird intimidate them.
One reason that I decided on getting a mini macaw (a Hahn's macaw) as my first macaw. I had a chance to get a baby Illiger's macaw but I decided I better be on a tighter budget.

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I have a Hahns macaw now :) We are getting a larger macaw later on.

In terms of scent, they're the same.

Now, based off what I have learned/experienced since originally starting this thread:

Don't go off the assumption that the Greenwing is a gentle giant. Personality depends on the individual, training and upbringing. A Greenwing and/or Blue and Gold CAN be nippy. And a big beak like that is a concern for nippiness! I have seen some really mellow greenwings, and I have seen some really "rough play" greenwings. (Not knowing their own strength) The same applies with Blue and Golds. (Even though their beak is smaller) Same with blue and golds. I have seen really cuddly/playful clowns, and I have seen nasty birds that can give you a decent injury. It's not limited to species but to individuals.

Regardless of size, they can do damage.

I've been able to interact with both, and I've seen the different behaviours across them all:
20130529_145248.jpg

528336_10151084964381743_38197643_n.jpg

Cost can be another deciding factor.
In Australia, Greenwings can go for 13k, whereas Blue and Golds for about 5K (you can get cheaper though).

A greenwing can break a cage that a blue and gold can't. A greenwing CAN crack a macadamia nut. So cage choices become more important for a greenwing. (which will also up your price on the cage) - Adding to this, toys - both will go through an insane amount of toys, so to save yourself money in the long run, learn how to use a dropsaw and start making the toys. ;)

While I don't want to push you away from getting a big macaw, I do believe in actually spending time with one. And not just the ones that sit on your shoulder for your 1min photo. Actually visit a breeder, or a rescue centre and meet and expose yourself to the full spectrum of personalities that you can get. I'm not saying that a macaw will turn nasty, just be prepared - can you keep the bird for the rest of it's life if it is? Will you take the steps to train it?

It's a big responsibility, and not a light decision. I would recommend if you can meet some macaws, go and do so and make your decision from there. :)

In terms of my choice: if I was financially able to support it, I would get a Great Greenwing or Hyacinth.

However, what we plan to do is get a Blue and Gold then a Greenwing later down the line. Our justification is we started with the mini macaw, and he's "top bird"; so introduce next size up (B&G) then after a year or so, introduce the Greenwing.

Hope that helps!

4hallie

Nov 12, 2013
Media
Pensacola, fl
Parrots
5month greenwing
2 year old amazon
8 month old solomon ecklectus
I have had a blue and gold, and now a green wing. My green wing (Mango) is 5months old now and has developed quite the personality. This is really funny: when she nips me, and I mean nip, she hardly uses pressure but she knows good and well it annoys me. Well now when I bring her inside from the aviary, she tries to loose her balance off of my arm and then nips me trying to gain her balance, now please note she doesn't hurt and means no malice. But she will do it and then look at me as if to say, well I had too, I was falling!!! This is a trick she uses and I know for a fact she is doing this on purpose and she knows she is not falling..that's how smart they are. My blue and gold was a keeper too, but when he bit, wow!! I couldn't really ever trust him around strangers, but he was good to me and I loved him. I gave him to my daughter since she spent more time with him than I did. Anyway I have my baby which I bought unweaned at 5 weeks old and it's been an experience. She is now 5 months and really turning into a gentle, sweet, smart macaw, I love her. So, I've h d both and my favorite would be the green wing.;) good luck, they are both good macaws.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hi I read an old post of u getting a b/g an GW did u get one?

You might not get a reply, that's a few years old & I don't think they've been around in a while.....sorry.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts