Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
My fingers are crossed and sending all my positive thoughts to you and blue boy. Sweet boy is lucky to have you :). Will check again later (I got called in to work for a few hours tonight). You are awesome!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My fingers are crossed and sending all my positive thoughts to you and blue boy. Sweet boy is lucky to have you :). Will check again later (I got called in to work for a few hours tonight). You are awesome!

Thank you Jenn for your tireless help in looking for Neptune, and sending me links to all the found blue quakers.
Thank you for your ears listening to all my tears and cheering on my search.

And thank you again in helping to look for Blue Boy's people. You are one of the blessings on this wonderful forum. I love hearing your parrots in the background from across the whole length of the United States! Your parrots always sound so cheerful.

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Poor Blue Boy. I used to deal with cat bitten birds at rehab all the time. Punctures are the worst. So glad you were there to give first aid and got your vet involved right away. I'll be rooting for both of you!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Poor Blue Boy. I used to deal with cat bitten birds at rehab all the time. Punctures are the worst. So glad you were there to give first aid and got your vet involved right away. I'll be rooting for both of you!!

Yes i knew time was of tge essence, we hope to prevent infections by having antibiotics on board right away..

Do you have any tips? What did the vets do at the do at rehab?

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Keeping them really warm, really calm, and heavily medicated with antibiotics. We cleaned the wounds and flushed them out as best we could. It was really hard because with the wild birds the stress of captivity and handling would kill them too. Many times we had to gavage them because they wouldn't eat. I'm glad he is eating and perching, both good signs. You also got him right when it happened so you shouldn't have to worry about maggots. The vets really only supplied the meds, we did everything else because there is no state funding in PA (though it's been probably 10-15 years since I volunteered). If it really swells, I'd contact the vet in case it needs some type of more intensive cleaning or draining.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Keeping them really warm, really calm, and heavily medicated with antibiotics. We cleaned the wounds and flushed them out as best we could. It was really hard because with the wild birds the stress of captivity and handling would kill them too. Many times we had to gavage them because they wouldn't eat. I'm glad he is eating and perching, both good signs. You also got him right when it happened so you shouldn't have to worry about maggots. The vets really only supplied the meds, we did everything else because there is no state funding in PA (though it's been probably 10-15 years since I volunteered). If it really swells, I'd contact the vet in case it needs some type of more intensive cleaning or draining.

Great advice. I got my radiant heat panel, tge sweater heater on him . He fainted the first time i treated the wound...so he is like your wild birds......im so worried about the days ahead

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hang in there, and bless you!
This seems like it was meant to be-- not the loss- but the find. I can't think of a more compassionate soul to:
1) care for him
2) look for his family

No matter what happens, he is better off with you than he was in the wild, and I am so happy you found him!

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh goodness, Laura! Just wanted to say thank you! For rescuing Blue Boy and all you're doing to help him. Prayers for a speedy and full recovery, and to you for being his angel! You have such a good heart my friend!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just did the last wound care and antibiotics for the night. The swelling is gone. But I discovered the puncture goes all tge way through into the mouth.....sorta a good news bad news thing.

Also Blue Boy was so much stronger!! Hi bit me and scolded me!!! Yippee!!

Mica21493 gave me some excellent advice about food!!! To offer egg food which I have and will do!! Hadn't even thought of it! And to crumble up some nutri berries for added nutrition!!! I have those too, what a great idea!! Thank you!! Together we are wiser than we are alone. I never stop learning and benefiting from the people on this forum!!!@

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Fingers crossed and every positive vibe sent Blue Boy’s way!!

(Also when I said you’d find him even better humans, I meant better than the ones who lost him, not you. I realized when I read it that it might not have been clear)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I even explained the situation to Hima and Alex and the rest, and asked them to send bird magicks to help Blue Boy. <3

Yeah, in some ways it is good that the wound is a thru and thru. Harder to have bad stuff stuck if there are two openings. Also draining will be easier and less likely to have abscesses or other nastiness form. Sending all the positive energy we have your way!!!

Also, Re: Neptune, I have absolutely no words. I know for you to lose him hurts for as bad as for me if my Alex flew away. I simply don't have any idea whatsoever what to say on the subject, but know we are also praying and hoping and begging the universe for Neptune to return to you safe and sound. :51: I'm sorry I didn't say anything earlier, I simply did not know what words to even say. I have definitely shed tears over him going missing. <3333

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh Laura, what an amazing save, hopefully Blue Boy will fully recover. If you cannot find his home, he'll thrive with you!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Fingers crossed and every positive vibe sent Blue Boy’s way!!

(Also when I said you’d find him even better humans, I meant better than the ones who lost him, not you. I realized when I read it that it might not have been clear)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inger it was funny and clear and supportive no worries.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I even explained the situation to Hima and Alex and the rest, and asked them to send bird magicks to help Blue Boy. <3

Yeah, in some ways it is good that the wound is a thru and thru. Harder to have bad stuff stuck if there are two openings. Also draining will be easier and less likely to have abscesses or other nastiness form. Sending all the positive energy we have your way!!!

Also, Re: Neptune, I have absolutely no words. I know for you to lose him hurts for as bad as for me if my Alex flew away. I simply don't have any idea whatsoever what to say on the subject, but know we are also praying and hoping and begging the universe for Neptune to return to you safe and sound. :51: I'm sorry I didn't say anything earlier, I simply did not know what words to even say. I have definitely shed tears over him going missing. <3333

Hima and Alex and the flock thank yiu for tge magic!!!

I'm living the loss and the greif, and yet never know what to say to others who post about loss. I love Neptune. His soul spoke to my soul. My time with him was sooo short. I will take all prayers and hopes and chances for him to be returned to me.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
⁸Blue Boy was hock sitting again this morning. He us just been so starved that his body is weak. I think because of the starvation and no reserves , no fat, he has a hard time making it through the night.

And very interesting. Birds hide being sick we know that. Well Blue Boy is hiding the hurt side of his face! When ever I am near he keeps the good side if his face to me! I walked around his cage to test this, and he kept moving so I only saw the good side. I first realized this because I was wanted a look at the wound to see how things are, but he kept turning so i couldn't see it. It makes sense to hide his wound but i had never even thought about it!

I tried to give morning meds but I think he is wearing it instead. He wound , the skin is sorta falling apart around the puncture. I spoke with my vet again last night. And we agreed I will stop using a q tip to pat on peroxide. So no more wound care just antibiotics now. Bird skin is extremely thin and delicate. And with trauma you loose blood supply to tissue so.

But after eating he is singing with my other boy budgies this morning. He ate the egg food !! And millit. And is preening now too. He is a very melodious singer!!! Like an angel he sings beautifully!!!! Itt reminds me of a canary! If I can prevent a cat bite infection he will be fine.

That is why supplemental heat is so important. Because of birds bodies having 9 air sacs , it takes energy to keep those spaces warm. So supportive warmth really saves them calories. I think everyone who has parrots should have a bird safe supplemental heat source on hand. I might try and find some articles on the importance of warmth for sick or injured birds and put in ornithology thread. http://parrotshelpinghandfund.weebl...leting,on maintaining normal body temperature.

This is a link that talks shout various antibiotics in parrots
https://www.dvm360.com/view/avian-treatments-work-proceedings

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Nice update Laura, seems Blue Boy is happily defiant and maintaining his survival instincts.

Despite all of that, nasty cat bacteria is relentless at the microbiology level, imperative he accepts lifesaving antibiotics.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
He pull through, he a fighter. Eating and preening is a very good sign.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Encouraging signs Laura! Who knows how long that poor little man was out there or what he went through?! And to have a tangle with a cat too?! He's a tough little guy alright, and we are sending more healing vibes from Brisbane to your Blue Boy this morning! :)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
You are so wonderful! Blue boy sure is blessed that you are there for him when he needs help most. I'm sending all my prayers and best wishes for Blue Boy, except for the prayers and best wishes that I am still sending for Neptune.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Nice update Laura, seems Blue Boy is happily defiant and maintaining his survival instincts.

Despite all of that, nasty cat bacteria is relentless at the microbiology level, imperative he accepts lifesaving antibiotics.

Yes he is at terrible risk of infection, that are highly fatal..

My vet texted to check in today. She is happy with how he is doing. She said I should be out of the woods by Thursday. If no signs if infection by then , he should be good.

Thank you ALL for rooting for both my blue boys

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts