Cat bite parakeet Blue Boy

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm afraid I would push it into the wound, or the soft stuff would get into the wound from the mouth....
I'm thinking on it.....i wish I had a catheter.....mmmm maybe I do or can get

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
My mentor in hand feeding would sometimes use small diameter aquarium tubing that she had melted the end (to round the edges a little so they were not sharp) as an improvised crop needle when required. IDK if that would be helpful in this scenario. She wouldn't force the tube down tho, she just let the bird swallow it on its own.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My mentor in hand feeding would sometimes use small diameter aquarium tubing that she had melted the end (to round the edges a little so they were not sharp) as an improvised crop needle when required. IDK if that would be helpful in this scenario. She wouldn't force the tube down tho, she just let the bird swallow it on its own.

That is a great share Bug! I will remember that gem!

Getting a slow start this morning (me) so I haven't had hands on for treatment yet. But he is eating and alert. He just sneezed, and is been doing a lot if crop adjustment..tail bob is still just slight. But over all I think really good.

I'm tentatively saying we are past the cats bite infection risk fingers crossed! And its a little aspiration issue...that will hopefully resolve .

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well dang.....should have waited till I had hsnds on.....the wound has started seeping.......ugh....

25244d1605188892-blue-boy-20201112_083735.jpg

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oooooh, poor boy! Come on little guy, you got this. Prayers coming to you! Hopefully the seeping is nothing serious, and perhaps better that stuff comes out than build up and fester? Not bird specific, but in my personal experience with deep wounds/surgery, drainage is a good thing while healing on the inside.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Well dang.....should have waited till I had hsnds on.....the wound has started seeping.......ugh....

ohhh poor baby

-prayers-

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
We are back to wound care and cleaning as directed. Also was hopefully informed that it can be part tge wounds evolution and doesn't necessarily mean infection ......

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Are there other antibiotics in the arsenal if needed? I assume vet chose most beneficial for organisms present in cat saliva.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes doxyclin and tetracycline best. he is getting antibiotics
by mouth 3 times a dsy Betadine is helpful, and I'm allowed to use an human wound spray on q tip with has lidocaine, but no more than twice a day.

He us eating his romaine so well!! I was surprised its so high in vitamin A !! And he ate a few nibbles on a red chili slice .

Weight went up to 33 grams :)

Lettuce, romaine
Sources include: USDA
Amount Per 1 NLEA serving (85 g)
Calories 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 7 mg 0%
Potassium 210 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g 0%
Dietary fiber 1.8 g 7%
Sugar 1 g
Protein 1 g 2%
Vitamin A 148% Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 2% Iron 4%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Cobalamin 0% Magnesium 3

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Weight gain, excellent progress. Let us hope the antibiotics continue to work magic.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I don’t know much about Verdi-DmG, you may have already heard of it before. I came across these on another forum and that it may be helpful to you and little Blue. Here is a link about the medication. https://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900590030. Also could you try dabbing Blues wound with Betadine or colloidal silver - Anne used both for her ankle wound.

Wishing you and Blue Boy well!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don’t know much about Verdi-DmG, you may have already heard of it before. I came across these on another forum and that it may be helpful to you and little Blue. Here is a link about the medication. https://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=900590030. Also could you try dabbing Blues wound with Betadine or colloidal silver - Anne used both for her ankle wound.

Wishing you and Blue Boy well!

I haven't heard of this supplement. I will read about it.

Tetracycline 3 times daily by mouth
Yes betadine is a must have for first aid kit. I have used betadine from the very first day. I clean with peroxide because its a puncture, then I wipe that off and apply betadine. I did that every few hours the first days, then stopped. I'm back doing that every few hours again since the wound started seeping yesterday.

SSD ointment is great!!! I've used it many times before. Its a prescription cream that uses silvers antimicrobial properties. A really great ointment for sure!!! But not on a puncture, it would seal his puncture on his face off.... and the worst bacteria are anaerobic, would fester.. so usually no ointments on a puncture wound. You want the puncture to heal from the inside out. Not scab over and try and heal from the top down, as that's a perfect set up for nasty bacteria..

Blue Boy is very strong and looks good this morning. The wound was dry when I grabbed him up for his morning antibiotics . I treated the wound itself anyway, still with peroxide then betadine. Its hard to tell as I only have a dim light on its early, but.....i think the tail bob has improved!!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Weight gain, excellent progress. Let us hope the antibiotics continue to work magic.

Yes Scott, its very important to emphasize that Blue Boy had antibiotics prescribed from the very first. I had the antibiotics in him within 2 hours of the cat attack, maybe more like an 1 hour. I had Blue Boy in my hands at 10:30 that morning, and i see i my first post was around 12:30 , after I had given antibiotics, cleaned wound and set up cage.
My vet had me do a loading dose ( this is twice the amount ) fir his first dose, then give antibiotics every 4 hours tge first day. Then we went to antibiotics 2 times a day, but when tail bob we went back to 3 times a day on the antibiotics. From now till vet tells me to stop he will get antibiotics by mouth 3 times a day.

Blue Boy would have had zero chance of survival without immediate antibiotics .

Time matters!!! It's an emergency if you parrot has been bitten, in a cats mouth, or scratched by a cat. Even if no wound is seen or only a minor wound . Its an emergency. Rapid antibiotics are needed ASAP. If i wasn't clear about that before. Antibiotics need to be given as soon as possible, within the first couple of hours!! This bacteria causes nearly 100% fatality in birds. My Vet told me wonderful stories of survival though, even birds that large amounts of physical damage from the cat as well. It all depends on how fast they get treated!!

Cats carry a bacteria that causes sepsis , and necrosis of tissue. Humans often have to be hospitalized hours after a cat puncture bite, and many have to surgery to remove dead tissue, or open the infection to the air.

A lady I worked with came in one morning, her kitten had just bit her . By noon she was in the hospital, she stayed 2 weeks and had surgery to her hand. My mom has a friend, her husband ended up having to have his hand amputated from a cat bite!! It is recommended for even humans to see there doctor after a cat bite, no matter how minor .

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Yes Scott, its very important to emphasize that Blue Boy had antibiotics prescribed from the very first. I had the antibiotics in him within 2 hours of the cat attack, maybe more like an 1 hour. I had Blue Boy in my hands at 10:30 that morning, and i see i my first post was around 12:30 , after I had given antibiotics, cleaned wound and set up cage.
My vet had me do a loading dose ( this is twice the amount ) fir his first dose, then give antibiotics every 4 hours tge first day. Then we went to antibiotics 2 times a day, but when tail bob we went back to 3 times a day on the antibiotics. From now till vet tells me to stop he will get antibiotics by mouth 3 times a day.

Blue Boy would have had zero chance of survival without immediate antibiotics .

Time matters!!! It's an emergency if you parrot has been bitten, in a cats mouth, or scratched by a cat. Even if no wound is seen or only a minor wound . Its an emergency. Rapid antibiotics are needed ASAP. If i wasn't clear about that before. Antibiotics need to be given as soon as possible, within the first couple of hours!! This bacteria causes nearly 100% fatality in birds. My Vet told me wonderful stories of survival though, even birds that large amounts of physical damage from the cat as well. It all depends on how fast they get treated!!

Cats carry a bacteria that causes sepsis , and necrosis of tissue. Humans often have to be hospitalized hours after a cat puncture bite, and many have to surgery to remove dead tissue, or open the infection to the air.

A lady I worked with came in one morning, her kitten had just bit her . By noon she was in the hospital, she stayed 2 weeks and had surgery to her hand. My mom has a friend, her husband ended up having to have his hand amputated from a cat bite!! It is recommended for even humans to see there doctor after a cat bite, no matter how minor .

Thanks for sharing the emphasis on immediate vet care and antibiotics, Laura. Something for us all to know for the future - and hope it never happens.

By way of analogy, cat saliva seems similar to the method spiders use to kill their prey. Except cats have teeth and claws. :(

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Yikes!!! I knew that Cat scratches could be dangerous, especially for pregnant women. That makes sense with how the scratch around in their litter boxes. I didn't realize how infectious and bad their bites are.

It's funny, I used to consider myself a "Dog person" but I still kinda liked cats. Over time I grew less tolerant of cats because they always seemed to enjoy peeing on my stuff and their fur makes me sneeze. I originally got Yoda because Wolfy (my husband) is allergic to dogs and cats both. I never imagined how amazing a parrot could be as a companion animal (I just can't call them a pet!).

Nowadays, I still like dogs.... but really only from a distance. They drool and smell like dog and there's just nothing worse than stepping in dog poop because you never can get it out of your shoes all the way. Even just petting a dog leaves your hands smelling like dog and dog hair all over your clothes and in your nose... I've been completely spoiled by having parrots. There's just nothing that comes close to how wonderful a companion parrot can be. :)

...in my opinion anyway! :D

...of course... I still like cats and dogs more than most people anyway. LOL! (With the exception of my wonderful PF family here! :D )

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lol
BLUE Boy is very active.
Still some sneezing
Weight 32 grams. My scale doesn't go to decimal. So I guess he hovering 32.5 grams..
Very active tho!! The strongest he has been.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Getting very hopeful, we passed tge critical 72 hour mark! Yippee! Strongest day yet, very active.
https://corvid-isle.co.uk/first-aid...ll,treated promptly with adequate antibiotics.
" Mandatory Antibiotic Treatment
Regardless whether injuries have been found or not, every cat caught bird requires antibiotic treatment. Firstly, it is very easy to miss tiny puncture wounds, which may not even bleed externally. Secondly, it is very likely that the plumage is contaminated with saliva, and the next time the bird preens, he or she is likely to ingest deadly bacteria. More than 90% of all cats carry pasteurella multocida bacteria in their saliva, so the chances of infection are very high. Birds caught by cats will usually succumb to the septicaemia within 48 to 72 hours, unless they are treated promptly with adequate antibiotics."

1 in 3 people bitten by a cat , hospitalized according to Mayo clinic
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/...itten-in-hand-hospitalized-infections-common/

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
All very encouraging stuff indeed Laura! No longer critical but still in intensive care. No better emergency nurse in the world than you! I'm so very happy for you and Blue Boy!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I wanted to include Pasteurella bacteria doubling time. But all the sources are PDF.

The doubling time is 30 min to 4.5 hours. So its so important to immediately flush and clean the wound. Then seek medical care ASAP.

I feel its important to keep treating the wound itself, until it heals as well. If the wound for my little guy had been anyplace other than the head, I woukd have done warm compresses , adding a few drops of betadine to the warm water to make a very dilute tea color to soak the compress in.

Most Reactions

Latest posts