Changing Locations Detremental?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
My Pineapple (Buddy) will be two years old and for his first year, he has lived with me exclusively.
A year ago, I met a new girlfriend and she loves my Conure. We even bought him the same size cage for her house when we go over there.

My concern is this. . . I stay over at her house about three times a week and obviously Buddy comes with me. After three days, we go back to my house where my GF also stays. So three days at her house and four at mine.

Do you think the back and forth is harmful to my Buddy? He SEEMS okay but first day back I leave him alone since he seems a little stressed.

Am I over-reacting or am I causing undue stress for him?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Why leave him alone, when he is stressed support him. You are his constant. I think it's wonderful you keep him with you, two homes are something he can learn are his normal. I have a link in stress in parrots. I will get it and put it here. There might be tips you could add to his routine, like pattering to music. Rituals, and routines he can can count on.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm back and forth between home and the cottage weekly major parts of the year. Depending what is happening, Mrs Boats is with us guys or she is off to the East side of the State to handle things with her family or I'm away for several days. When she is not along or Julio is stays with her, we use Skype.

Point being, our DYH Amazon, who by the way, loves to travel, is great with the traveling about. The important part is family time. Be mindful when both of you are going different directions that there is family time when everyone is on Skype.

It is about the flock gathering and consistent sleep schedule.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts