Cockatoos and Amazons

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Monty - DYH Amazon, Rhubarb - Galah, Verdi - Canary
Anyone have both? And if so, what are the pluses and minuses you've observed?

As some may have noticed, I originally posted in the AG forum as we were considering getting a Timneh to go with Monty. Well now a local rescue lady has a 23-year old GSC2 that has had a rough life and is looking to rehome it. We went to meet her last night, and she had all of the best characteristics you see in a 'too. Hands on, sweet, and clearly in love with human companionship. Child #2 and Mrs. Scooter melted on sight.

Also, they were a nice new local rescue that creates a network of bird lovers for support, providing things such as vacation care and bird sitting.

Nice to also see that despite living in a chicken coop with a dead companion and her dead babies in a bird hoarder's garage that she is still a loving bird, with only minor plucking beneath her wings.

Regardless, she was an incredibly sweet bird, and I think Mrs. Scooter and child #2 are just waiting for my blessing. So, what should I know?

BTW, I had spent some time over at mytoos.com when we were first looking for a fid, so am not going into this blind. However, would like feedback from those that have had both a 'too and a 'zon at the same time.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hmm. I know of 2 members on top of my head who've kept / keep both. Jim (AmyMyBlueFront - used to) and Victoria (Riddick). I hope they see this and chime in. :)

Sounds like you found a GREAT bird, or should I say that a great bird found you all! :D

Ginnybird

Dec 18, 2015
New Jersey near Philadelphia
Parrots
Ginny Indigo, blue-fronted Amazon
Nice to also see that despite living in a chicken coop with a dead companion and her dead babies in a bird hoarder's garage that she is still a loving bird, with only minor plucking beneath her wings.

:eek:

If it can help... My mom had a SC2 when I was a kid. The care of the animal was hers, so I can't speak to diet or vet care, but I can give a kid's impressions of him.

He was a sweetheart, absolutely gentle for me as a kid. He was much more mechanically inclined than my blue front -- puzzle-smart and good at getting out of his cage. He articulated a lot less when being vocal: he said "hello" and "go poop" in sweet cockatoo voice, but otherwise his noisemaking was yelling. He was quite loud in the early morning and sometimes in the evening. (Though the noise never bothered me, my mom still talks about it.)

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but she sounds absolutely lovely, and like she would be well-loved with your family. They can be real dolls!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Scooter...Wendy is correct..I have Amy <blue front> and I had a timneh <smokey>. When Smokes passed on, I adopted Jonesy,A Goffins 'Too.

Amy is a very "friendly" type of bird..wants to be pals with everyone. Smokey wanted NO PART..always being a mean so and so to her..pulling her tail when Amys back was turned,then running away lol. One time they went beak to beak and Smokes bit Amys tongue,requiring 5 stitches! :11:
That was the last time I let the two get close to each other.

Jonesy on the other hand enjoyed Amys company. I would find Jonesy on top of amy's house on the play stand together,or when I let both out,Amy would walk over and climb up Jonesy's house.

One night Arleen and I were in the kitchen playing cribbage. Jonesy was on my shoulder and Amy was on Arleens. Jones just climbed down my arm,walked across the kitchen table,hopped over the crib board and climbed up Arleens arm to where Amy was..Amy just preened Jonesys "hat"...they went beak to beak,making kissy sounds..then Jones just turned around,walked back down Arleens arm onto the table,over the crib board and back up my arm to my shoulder! we were speechless lol

So in my opinion, zons and too's can be happy campers lol.

Jim

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Thanks Jim,

Yes I had read some of your challenges you had with Jonesie you had had in other threads, and sorry to hear about poor Amy's tongue. A goffin was actually why we got in touch with Monty's breeder in the first place.

Unfortunately, although we did like the size and vocal abilities of a Timneh, I truly think what my wife would like is an affectionate bird like this GSC2. It's really not about size, color, or vocal ability. It's about the bird.

Kay, Wendy, Jim, thanks for your feedback. I almost think this discussion ended when the GSC2 settled into the youngest's arms like a chicken, contentedly sitting still while being cuddled.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I've had 3 Zone and 5 Toos in my life.I think the pink Toos are alot easier than the white ones.Both species require alot of consistent attention everyday.If your a big bird person it won't be a problem..I think the Toos are more trying ,but you won't get a bird that wants to show off more.I prefer females in the white Toos .The males can be INSANE :).Both are neat species.I'd say I was more a Ton person.Their like all species rolled into one.Tools are a huge mess ,but more hands on .

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I had multiple zons, and a G2 for awhile.

The G2 steered clear of all the other birds. Wanted nothing to do with any of them. That bird ended up following my daughter, Sarah, around like she was Mother.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks Jim,

Yes I had read some of your challenges you had with Jonesie you had had in other threads, and sorry to hear about poor Amy's tongue. A goffin was actually why we got in touch with Monty's breeder in the first place.

Unfortunately, although we did like the size and vocal abilities of a Timneh, I truly think what my wife would like is an affectionate bird like this GSC2. It's really not about size, color, or vocal ability. It's about the bird.

Kay, Wendy, Jim, thanks for your feedback. I almost think this discussion ended when the GSC2 settled into the youngest's arms like a chicken, contentedly sitting still while being cuddled.

Zoe does this exact thing, settles down on you just like a chicken. I'd like to completely discourage you since I'm the exact opposite of a too person, but Zoe is like a too with teal feathers and it sounds like a great bird deserving of a loving home. Just remember, you can't give a too boatloads of attention and then get bored or busy and stop giving it attention. That never works out well.

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Well Pink, good to hear it's a female then. Think you were saying you were a bit more of a 'zon person (Ton is a bit confusing), but in knowing Monty vs. Roo, I can she she is a better bird for my gentle daughter. Monty is a rough and tumble 'Zon who suits me and the eldest a lot better.

Birdman, in reading some of your other posts regarding getting a second parrot, I chuckle at some of the possible outcomes (Now why don't you go get me and my new friend some food and water), but have zero expectation if the birds enjoy each other. If they get along, great. If they don't, that's fine too, as long as they (hopefully) do not hate each other passionately. Monty came from a busy breeder, and Roo had already made friends in her rescue home, so I am hopeful that peaceful coexistence is achievable.

Got a feeling I'll never see the 'too to be honest as I believe it may take up permanent residence in my youngest's room. Regardless, we have enough sets of hands to keep both Roo and Monty busy.

thekarins, this was my main concern with the two family members that liked Roo - are they willing to give her the attention she needs, every day for the rest of her (or their) lives. They replied in the affirmative. And short of the birds hating (and attacking) each other, they are a good fit, as Monty is fairly hands-off, enjoys his toys and being on his stand, and like skritches when he feels like it. Roo will likely ride around in a sweatshirt all day.

And of course, when we hear her story, yet see how gentle and loving she has remained after the life she's had, how can we not offer her a forever home.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Sorry about my earlier post . Was trying to do it from my phone at work [which wasnt working out :)]. I did mean I was more of a Zon person for favoring the 2 species . I will give you a heads up on Toos though, Mine have no desire to interact with the other birds , I have to have the males out alone so they dont fly and attack another bird . My females ok if shes far enough away from everybody. My Rb2 is the only one who wants to see my other birds, Toos are messy!!!!! They will throw everything out of their dish everyday. Just what they do.She will most likely bond with one person.Its important the whole family makes a huge deal about her . Thats how you keep a happy Too :) :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just a side note, birds can have amazing rebound abilities. Our grey was kept in a dog crate for 7 years and before that he was kept in a back room with zero attention (his owner had died and the relatives really had no interest in him.) Now several months later he adores my partner and seeks her out every chance he gets.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I do have both:D

Neither of them like other birds and do their own thing when out together. I'm sure you'll be fine with both since you seem to know what a pain cockatoos can be already! My Amazon though crazy doesn't attack other birds just people....same goes for the cockatoo:rolleyes:

Honestly I'm pretty sure my cockatoo is an Amazon and my Amazon is a cockatoo. They switched the standard talked about personalities on me lol

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Scooter..I wish you luck! Jonesy being the only 'too I ever had any interaction with WAS a character! He made me laugh so hard at times!

I made the mistake of not doing any research on 'too's. I was heart broken after loosing Smokey,and my "need/want" of another bird,and friend for Amy,won over common sense :eek:

Even tho Jonesy turned into a nightmare,probably coz I had no idea the wants and needs of a 'too..I have to admit. I miss the little monster:54:
He was VERY affectionate..always willing to be skritched and cuddled,something that Smokey,my Timneh,didnt do,and Amy only does on HER terms..but for a 'zon I could not ask for a better bird.

Jim

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Hey Riddick,

Good to hear they kind of do their own things....I actually think that's a preferable state of being versus conflict or agitation between the two of them on a constant basis. Of course, I'm going into this with eyes wide open, and understand that some lifestyle modification may be be necessary if they hate each other. And yes, Monty is a super beaky bird ('zon....) and already has the attacking people part down. Let me see, he was so happy to see me last night that he squeezed my nose, tried to climb my face, stuck his beak in my mouth and cleaned my teeth, then pinched my ear. LOL.

I've often said there must be a strong streak of masochism in Amazon owners.

Jim, actually reading your struggles with Jonesie led me to the conclusion that a Goffin may not have made the best pet. But at least looking for a Goffin led us to Monty's breeder, leading us to Monty. Mind you, we had actually gone to them looking for a 'too, specifically an RB2, and ended up with Monty.

In fact, I thought based on my wife's description that a 'too was the right bird for her from the very start. As a soon to be empty-nester (and the kids are so independent already) she needs someone (or something) to dote on, cuddle, and provide mutual companionship. Considering the number of 'toos that end up getting rehomed, I also saw an opportunity to help out a sweet mature bird (like Roo).

In what I've seen so far, I think Monty is a little too independent for her, and Roo may be a good fit.

Which is fine with Monty, as long as she puts him on his stand, fills his bowl with veggies and fresh food, changes his water regularly, gives him toys, and plays music for him to "sing" along with.

Plus, as she's now confident with Monty, Roo doesn't now intimidate her the way she would have been before Monty. Roo is a big bird (like almost Macaw big), but the Monty experience has helped her with becoming comfortable around large birds.

Either way, the rescue will come for a home visit this weekend, and we'll likely get Roo next weekend, just before this kids are off for spring break (fun for Roo!).

Wendy, I know you like pics of Monty - here's one from him the other day. This was one of the 10 minute daily windows where he wants scritches:

B994AE43-EEEB-4792-99E6-9001A233BCA0_zpsdobhckvp.jpg

And here's Roo:

FE7AC29E-7A99-4C2B-96AD-2BA2A4E2B7BB_zpsvybypygi.png

Scott

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Scott, THANK YOU for indulging me. :D Yes, I LOVE seeing pictures of Monty. Look at that snuggle bunny pic, especially after reading how 'cuddly' he just was last night. LMAO!

Roo is STUNNING!!! I truly think she'll be a GREAT fit for all of you! :heart: You all must be beyond stoked!!

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Thanks Wendy,

I'd say apprehensive is a better word, though I think anyone who isn't a bit apprehensive before getting a new fid likely hasn't done research or realized the commitment they've signed up for. Sure it's exciting and fun, but wow, you just signed up for life, just like marriage or having children.

Here's hoping she's healthy, and all reports are that GSC2s are very gentle and loving birds. I'll give you one more Monty pic though - him participating in a very Canadian tradition - rolling up the rim to win at Tim Horton's. You can see the mischief (or slight craziness) in his eyes as he goes after the cup.

BB8C021D-D82A-4D9C-BBBD-484CE000558B_zps0lm65aw5.jpg

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Those are actually Sarah's favorite toos...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have a single BFA (Gonzo) and lots of Toos. Gonzo was my first bird about 31 years ago. During the early years, Gonzo had some interactions with an M2 but once maturity occurred, he became more cautious of other parrots. Today, on occasion a Goffin will land on his cage or my Ekkie will climb to the top, but there is little interaction.

In my experience they have vastly different personalities, yet have appeal to parronts eager to expand the flock.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Wow Scooter...Monty is adorable! And Roo..typical 'Too fashion..she looks beautiful.
From what I am learning,'Too's can be very resilient. I stopped by the local Mukie Mart the other day to have a chat with Jonesy's new parronts and according to the owners son,The Cockatoo Man is getting along splendidly..He says there is never a dull moment. They have finally let him out of his house < I kept going into the store and making it abundantly clear he needs out time..but mom was a little apprehensive>

The son says The Little Beady-Eyed Monster has already gotten on their shoulders..loves skritches..is talking..and being a clown making them laugh with his "too dances and his "this way and that" turning his head left to right-right to left real fast.. I'm happy for the family,they seem to be a caring bunch,and happy for Bonesy,hopefully he'll be with them for years to come.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts