Companion for Hesse, my Blue Front Amazon

Pclarke573

Nov 28, 2019
I have a Blue Front Amazon, female. 8 years old. Considering getting her a companion.. not for mating. Should I get another Blue Front or any other Amazon specie? Thanks
:green:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
The same species is always better solution

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Our BFA is about 21 years old and perfectly happy as a single bird. Not to anthropomorphise too much, but I get the distinct impression he feels pretty darn special being the only bird and ruling over us dull colored, featherless humans:rolleyes:

Amazons generally do fine as single birds or with other amazons. Getting a second amazon or other parrot species can spoil the special bond you have with your bird as they may just decide you no longer matter anymore. You should also never buy a second bird specifically for your current bird to be “friends” with as there is no guarantee they’ll like each other even if the same species or opposite sexes etc... Get a second bird only if YOU want a second bird and be prepared for the potential they could hate each other and you’ll be left splitting your time to give adequate attention to each one OR the potential they love each other but decide to leave YOU out in the cold instead.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree with Kiwi's Mom!
Also remember that this will mean twice your effort and your Amazons will only get half or less of your attention.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is such a complicated issue I can't cover it all in a single post.

I have bought birds to be companions to birds already in my flock.
The most recent case is buying a second green cheek amazon for my first Green cheek amazon. I have had the new bird for over a year and while they get along well with each other outside of a cage they don't do so well in the same cage. I fully believe things will smooth out eventualy but you have to be able to take the long view.

I had 2 reasons for getting a second bird.
First I believe Luna my first GCA spent some time in a local flock of parrots in the San Diego area. She would get super excited seeing other GCA on youtube I was sure she was missing her flock.

Second was the fact that I had had 3 Amazons for many years and I was really missing the playfulness that more that one bird can bring.

So to sum it up I think in special situations getting a second bird as a companion can somtimes work there, is no way to know in advance how it will work out.

OP
P

Pclarke573

Nov 28, 2019
Thank you all . I will not pursue the second bird.. Will refocus on my single bird. This forum is great. Provides excellent advice.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy will be 30 soon and has been with me since he was four months old. I do have another bird but it's not because I wanted a companion for him,it was because I wanted another bird.

Jim

Most Reactions