Concerns about my macaw, Georgia. Please help?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope she's still improving! Once you get her back, please be advised to heat the water to the proper temperature before mixing to the formula and make sure the formula is at the right temperature before feeding. Always clean ALL utensils such as mixing spoon/or fork(I prefer fork), syringes, bowls, etc. and dry everything. Always make sure the crop is emptied before feeding again. Do not mix the formula too thick! Proper sanitation is the key! Cause this may very well happen again if your not careful. Prayers are with you and Georgia!

OP
HappyHummingbird

HappyHummingbird

Jan 5, 2013
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Georgia is home on an antibiotic and is doing better. She is on a diluted feeding schedule and is still sick but better. Thanks everyone for prayers and encouragement.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Georgia is home on an antibiotic and is doing better. She is on a diluted feeding schedule and is still sick but better. Thanks everyone for prayers and encouragement.
It's truly great to know she's now home with you, Carolyn :). Now you can give her that 'other' medicine, too.... your LOVE while physically near her!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I couldn't have said any better than Tony!

So relieved to hear Georgia is getting better, but SO happy she's home with you for some extra TLC. :)

OP
HappyHummingbird

HappyHummingbird

Jan 5, 2013
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I like to call Georgia my "time sink" because I'll sit for just a minute with her and then when I look up at the clock, I find it's been an hour. She is just captivating and I am smitten. But I might add that I am slightly disappointed as I am her primary caregiver and always the one who is caring for her yet she seems to be more captivated by my husband.... what gives?!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HA! Time flies when you're having fun. :)

Aww, don't be disappointed, please. Does your husband snuggle her as well?

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Happy, I am glad to hear your baby is recovering. But I have to ask, why, with no prior experience would you get an unweaned bird?

OP
HappyHummingbird

HappyHummingbird

Jan 5, 2013
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Happy, I am glad to hear your baby is recovering. But I have to ask, why, with no prior experience would you get an unweaned bird?

That's a totally fair question.
Short answer: the breeder said it was easy and encouraged bonding and he said I seemed up for it.

I wanted to be close to my bird and I wanted her to know me well and I had no idea that it was so difficult. I had no clue what I was getting into and I feel that my breeder is a wonderful person and fantastic breeder but should not be allowing people to wean their birds, especially when they are still on exclusive formula. Georgia isn't even close to weaning.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The breeder was false! He was probably just trying to sell off early cause that would be one less baby for him to hand feed and buy formula for. By hand feeding yourself does NOT mean the bird will be bonded to you completely, it varies from bird to bird. Most of my birds were adults when I brought them home and I bonded to them just fine without having to hand feed any one of them even though I have years of experience in hand feeding and raising chicks. All you need is a lot of patience and love to give to the bird for them to bond with you. Willie was 2 years old when I brought him home and he bonded to me instantly from the moment he met me, within 2 min of being in their house and he's been with us for 9 years now.

How is Georgia today??? I hope she's still doing well. :)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
^^^^ I totally agree. My bird was fully weaned, as is California law, and my breeder did a wonderful job socializing him so after the initial "who the heck are you?" phase, my bird and I are totally bonded. So is our family with him too.

I have just heard sooooo many horror stories about weaning tragedy that I wouldnt attempt it unless I had been personally trained and given successful return demonstrations.

OP
HappyHummingbird

HappyHummingbird

Jan 5, 2013
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Let's hope that Georgia WILL be bonded to me after all of this because Lordy I have really put my love, emotion, strength, effort, and MONEY, into this handfeeding. Did I mention she had crop burn? It was totally my fault. I always, always, always test the heat on my wrist and it was from the tap but it was just too hot and she got mild crop burn. That was another vet visit with bills and antibiotics. I am telling you I am going to lose my mind and hair from this experience. I am doing my best but Lord Have Mercy it has been a difficult journey so far. Let's cross our fingers and toes and hope that it is smooth sailing from here on out.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Your wrist is not accurate as a temperature reading device. Your body can be cold one day and percieve the formula is burning hot, then warm the next and think its fine. Get a proper thermometer and trust it. I would ask your vet, or your breeder what temp SPECIFICALLY is appropriate for food.

Most Reactions