Congo/Timneh hybrids

ONBirdLady

Dec 23, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, Quaker Parakeet
Recently saw a hybrid between the two types of Greys. I am considering purchasing one (more set on a Congo Grey though) but i have a question about the cross breeding of bird breeds. Do hybrid birds have any health risks? What are some other problems (if any) are associated with hybrids?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Recently saw a hybrid between the two types of Greys. I am considering purchasing one (more set on a Congo Grey though) but i have a question about the cross breeding of bird breeds. Do hybrid birds have any health risks? What are some other problems (if any) are associated with hybrids?

Actually, there may not be an answer to your question without some in-depth research of the particular hybridized bird you are interested in, information that may not be available.

Given that one definition of hybrid is The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races, you would need the familial history of both parent birds and unless you are purchasing a purported hybrid from a long standing breeder with accurate records going back several generations, there's a pretty good chance what you think you are being offered, may well not be what you are buying ! ! !

You can do research on health problems of Timneh African grey parrots and Congo African grey parrots and make your own assumptions, based one the results of your reading. If the hybrid bird(s) you saw was/were either the albino or red factored versions of these greys, you may not get the answer(s) you are looking for from these breeders as they are relatively new species and from a very few, (maybe 2 or three) select breeders, who may consider that information proprietary and/or private.....

Good luck.....

Comicbird

Jan 11, 2016

I think we are looking at the same breeder and same question. Im located in toronto and it seems those are the only available birds around. I want a congo but I'm the wondering the same thing if there will be any issues with thowe hybrids in the future.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Cross breeding in and of itself causes no extraordinary health issues that I am aware of.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
As long as the parent species are closely enough related, all chicks should be born rather healthy. Much like breeding a horse and a donkey together, only 99% of hybrid parrots are fertile. The chicks may actually benefit from what is known as "hybrid vigor", in that they have more genetic material than both parents, and may benefit from it.

That said, personally, I prefer to see hybrids that are clearly hybrids (like many, but not all, hybrid macaws that are clearly hybrids) instead of hybrids that could be mistaken for a pure species (i.e. sunday conures or some macaw hybrids bred back to one species and the resulting offspring look near enough to that species that, if not for some very minor changes, could be mistaken for a pure - catalinas and miligolds bred back to blue and golds can look near identical to blue and golds... or another hybrid, if not for the shape of the head, a cherry head x blue crown conure hybrid could be mistaken for a white eyed conure...)

Most Reactions