Conure biting nails and fingers, is that progress in bonding?

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Hi so I had Kiwi for a few months now and had problems with him still not liking my hands. Hes also been kind of scared everything. Clothes, my laptop even a fan on the other side of the room.
We also had our ups and downs because hed my first bird im still learning how to take care of birds.
But recently I started to try trust bonding again since I havent seen any progress. He started biting my arm hair which I heard is affectionate behaviour. And now biting my fingers and nails through the cage. He also rests his feet on my finger sometimes. So i want to ask. Am i doing good? Are we making progress?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yes, that is good progress. Forget about your quick monkey brains expectation of progress, parrots rate of acceptance of change is glacial.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hi so I had Kiwi for a few months now and had problems with him still not liking my hands. Hes also been kind of scared everything. Clothes, my laptop even a fan on the other side of the room.
We also had our ups and downs because hed my first bird im still learning how to take care of birds.
But recently I started to try trust bonding again since I havent seen any progress. He started biting my arm hair which I heard is affectionate behaviour. And now biting my fingers and nails through the cage. He also rests his feet on my finger sometimes. So i want to ask. Am i doing good? Are we making progress?
Sounds like he is getting more comfortable with your hands and is exploring! Yes, that’s a good sign. Will he step up for you yet?

It’s normal for them to be afraid of new objects they haven’t seen before. Once your bird trusts you it is easier to show them what objects are safe.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Sounds like he is getting more comfortable with your hands and is exploring! Yes, that’s a good sign. Will he step up for you yet?

It’s normal for them to be afraid of new objects they haven’t seen before. Once your bird trusts you it is easier to show them what objects are safe.
He wont, we havent tried that much because I thought he has to be 100% comfortable with my hand to step up.

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
How do I know whats aggresive biting or beaking?
Mostly the pressure of the bite, does it hurt pretty bad? If so, that's most likely an aggressive bite. If it doesn't hurt or doesn't feel like they're trying to hurt you purposefully, then it's most likely just beaking. That's how I tell the difference at least!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
How do I know whats aggresive biting or beaking?
Mostly the pressure of the bite, does it hurt pretty bad? If so, that's most likely an aggressive bite. If it doesn't hurt or doesn't feel like they're trying to hurt you purposefully, then it's most likely just beaking. That's how I tell the difference at least!

A high pressure bite isn't necessarily an aggressive bite, particularly for a young bird. You will have to eventually work on bite pressure training so your bird learns what is acceptable and what is not. The best way to tell the intention behind a bite is to read your bird's body language at the time of the bite. I highly recommend researching Conure body language @mamolis - this will not only help you understand Kiwi better but will also help you immensely in training him and with knowing when the right time to ask for a step up is.

Here are some videos I recommend:

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
A high pressure bite isn't necessarily an aggressive bite, particularly for a young bird. You will have to eventually work on bite pressure training so your bird learns what is acceptable and what is not. The best way to tell the intention behind a bite is to read your bird's body language at the time of the bite. I highly recommend researching Conure body language @mamolis - this will not only help you understand Kiwi better but will also help you immensely in training him and with knowing when the right time to ask for a step up is.

Ah, very true! I forgot about how young birds, especially conures can be. I've just been so used to Titan's behaviors LOL!

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure

thank you, i appreciate it.

OP
M

mamolis

Mar 27, 2023
Parrots
green cheeked conure
Well it does hurt but I gotta say his beak is pretty sharp. But I dont think its aggressive. Sometimes hes like gently biting around my finger if you know what I mean. He also sticks out his tongue? I dont know if its important but he dors that sometimes. Like hes biting me but also has a bit of his tongue out idk. But I dont feel like hes being aggressive.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:
  • Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.
Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

Most Reactions

Latest posts