Could use some encouragement...

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I've tried to explain how I feel to non-bird people in my life and most don't seem to get it.

I know I don't need to explain to you all how much fids enrich our lives. So many 'non-bird' people just don't get how attached we can get to our fids.

I've been posting around this thread ("Conures") for some time regarding sleeping huts. I FINALLY made the decision to just not chance it, especially after discovering that Petco had replaced their high quality fleece huts with cheap polyester ones. This has been such a difficult area for me. Preventative action and so on. This is my final decision and while I plan on providing him a new 'safer' alternative, it's not going to be as 'cozy'.

I just know how much Skittles loved his happy hut and it breaks my heart to take it away. I know I'm beating myself up over something that I know is in his best interest. But I don't think he sees it that way. All I can think of is him thinking "daddy took away my hut, he doesn't love me anymore".

You probably all think I'm pathetic, but I've always been rather hyper-sensitive when it comes to my fids. I have no family in the area and my birds are my kids. I can't sleep and I'm sitting here crying over this. Thankfully, I have a therapy session tomorrow afternoon.

I'm just looking for some support and encouragement. I could REALLY use it right now. I'm sure others have faced similar hard decisions.

Sorry if I sound pathetic, I just don't know why I am having such a hard time with this.

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
Doing what's best is typically the harder road no matter who you are trying to protect. Love is love, pet or child. I struggle making decisions like that for my son all the time. I say no because it is best, he tells me I am the worst mom in the world, his friends moms say yes! The response is the same to him as it is to our beloved pets. I say no because I love you and it is my job to make sure your are always safe. Never easy to do, I hate disappointing those I love. My job as a mom comes first, just like yours as a dad.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Maybe try something like this? (Got my GCC this)
E-SB474 Peekaboo Perch Tent Medium by Super Bird Creations - HUTS/TENTS

Or one of those cuddle corner things?
These are just suggestions.

I understand your feelings for having to take his hut away but you are doing it for his safety at the end of the day. He will get over it eventually, till then try to act like nothings changed.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thank you both for your kind words. In my heart, I know I am doing the right thing but it's still hard. It does help knowing others have been in this situation. It's just very reassuring.

When I removed his cuddle hut last week, the day after it he was VERY nasty to me so I put it back and he was fine the following day. That is what I am struggling with most of all.

But I've gotten to the point where I can say no to him when I am eating foods he can't have (or shouldn't) so I know I will be able to do this as well.

@zephyrfly I'm actually going to make him a homemade one made of untreated wood, I just need to find proper bedding. In the meantime I put a cardboard box with torn up tissue paper in the bottom of his cage but he won't go near it. I suppose it will take some time.

I may look into that tent, but Skittles is a MAJOR chewer so I am looking to go with something that would be 100% safe for him to chew on.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@zephyrfly That link seems very helpful. They seem to really care about the quality of their products. I'm going to call them later today to inquire about this:

SSHNSM Hide N Sleep Birdie Condo Medium - HUTS/TENTS

It isn't cheap but I think he would love it. I'm also going to email the link to my vet to see what they think of it as well.

I still plan on making him a homemade one. But this 'condo' might be a good substitute until then.

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
Doing what's best is typically the harder road no matter who you are trying to protect. Love is love, pet or child. I struggle making decisions like that for my son all the time. I say no because it is best, he tells me I am the worst mom in the world, his friends moms say yes! The response is the same to him as it is to our beloved pets. I say no because I love you and it is my job to make sure your are always safe. Never easy to do, I hate disappointing those I love. My job as a mom comes first, just like yours as a dad.

Totally agree with above. But sometimes I think it's harder with pets because they don't understand because we don't speak bird, LOL. Give skittles some extra love in another way to make up for the hut... They are smarter than we know... Maybe he does understand :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
We can all relate to and sympathize with your plight. We've all been there in one way or another.

So he doesn't blame you when you finally take the hut out, do it when he's not in the same room. Leave tons of treats or his fave toys in the cage for the entire week to compensate. Having a replacement to the hut asap is also vital.

I got the bendable log cave from petco. It was in the rodent section. Wood is bird safe. Just tied it upside down do it hangs from the cage ceiling. I'm on my phone so can't post a pic but look at the old thread I started called 'happy hut alternatives.' I updated the thread towards the very end.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
First, let me say, I don't think having a deep love for your Fids in any way makes you pathetic. I want to join the others in offering you a wealth of understanding and encouragement. That's what friends or for.

Solving the happy hut dilemma for Skittles will make you both feel better. I know you'll make the best and safest decision for your buddy. I don't have a conure and never have, but I know they are notorious chewers. I don't know what you have in mind but I know you've mentioned building him something with safe wood? Before you spend a ton of money on something that may or may not work, according to what you think, I have a ton of crepe myrtle wood that makes great logs, it's very pretty, very hard wood and has never been sprayed, I used it for Harry's house, Harry isn't a wood chewer but if she decides to make a midnight snack of her hut, it wouldn't hurt her. I drilled holes and used zip ties in places she couldn't reach and used vegetable tanned leather where she could reach, just in case. You could use a grass mat for the top if you choose to cover it. If I can help you with your design or crepe myrtle wood, send me a pm. I'll charge Skittles the same as I charged Harry and Sammy for their new place, only you and Skittles will have to do most of the work. :)

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
I had to go through this same ordeal with my green cheek and her snuggle hut. I made her a fleece one myself as an alternative, but then got rid of that as well. I just didn't feel safe leaving it in her cage unattended.
Since she doesn't have a snuggle hut anymore, she burrows into my sweaters and pockets and likes to fall asleep smooshed in both of my hands. She found her compromise, I guess! I also adopted a second conure and she kind of claimed him as her snuggle buddy when I'm not available. I'm not saying to buy a second conure in place of a snuggle hut haha

Skittles may be upset at first, but they eventually get over it and realize that there are better snuggling opportunities out there anyway.
Trust me, it is well worth it for the peace of mind.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Allee Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. My concern with the wooded things is that Skittles is a MAJOR chewer and he even chews his perches. LOL. That's why I was looking to go with a hard wood vs soft. But as you mentioned, you use the hard wood. I would like to know more about that. I could make him one just for like a daytime 'hideout' even if he doesn't sleep in it.

I do want to thank you all in fact, for the encouragement. He is actually acting fine today. Maybe he just had a bad day the last time after I took the cuddle hut out.

I actually found something at the mysafebirdstore that Zephyr referred to and I loved it and sent a link to my vet. I told her how much I thought that company put effort into the care of their products. She replied back this morning and this is what she said:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/icon-img-hide_n_sleep_medium_sunrise_solutions.jpg

"I agree that they are concerned about important considerations. i like this best of your options so far. Hope the birds have a happy Christmas!"

So I am going to try this. To be honest, they would involve the same amount of money anyways.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, I just called the company and the lady was VERY pleasant. She took a picture of the condo tent so I could see the pattern and then she emailed it to me.

They seem like a VERY good company. I ordered Skittles a bunch of chew toys as well as the condo. I spent $103 on him (included free shipping!) So needless to say, I spent my guilt away! LOL

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
That's adorable and Skittles may love it and hopefully won't feel a need to eat it. I can assure you MSBS sells quality products and they are as safe as anything can be near a beak.

Hahaha, spent your guilt away! You are such a great dad!

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
Ah, wonderful! I love MSBS. I buy nearly all of my toys and toy parts from there!
They're very kind, and always include a little surprise in your order :)

I hope Skittles likes all of his new loot when it arrives!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thanks Allee! (I do plan on PMing you to find out more about that material you were talking about). It means a lot to hear that!

@Lullx Ha, the trick is going to be keeping it hidden til Christmas. I do plan on giving him the condo early, for obvious reasons. It may take him a few days or so to get used to it, but I think he'd adjust better to something covered in fabric vs not.

I ordered the side mount as well as an additional cover.

I was VERY worried last night that he was going to be upset with me today because that's how he was the last time I took his cuddle hut away. That's what really got me so upset last night. But today, he was fine. His usually self. Burying himself in my shirt while I watch TV. I HAVE to hide a camera away and record him doing this, it is just the cutest thing!

I honestly don't think loose threads would ever have been a problem, what did it for me is the fabric of the new, cheaper made huts at Petco coming off so easily. Skittles would regurgitate in his cuddle hut and I had too much of a fear that he would swallow some of that fabric.

I'll post a photo of all his new 'loot' once this order arrives. I did get some things already at Petco the other day, I'll include those.

I wish I could get Peaches something other than millet spray. But I can't get her anything that's a chew toy cause she doesn't chew. She is so unsteady on her feet I don't want to get her any 'foot toys' and I have to stay away from anything that might promote breeding behavior as I have had too many issues with her and excessive egg-laying.

In closing, I think it is not only super important, but extremely appreciated how much people support each other on this forum. We may not always agree and there are certainly a lot of 'hot button' issues with regards to our fids but I cannot tell you all how therapeutic this forum has been for me. I probably don't need to anyways.

ManuIki

Oct 15, 2015
Honolulu
Parrots
Pepe is a turquoise green-cheeked conure, born May 22, 2015. We (husband and I) also call him "Manu Iki" (Hawaiian for "Little Bird").
I came a little late to this thread, and I'm happy to see that you've found a solution. We all know how you feel, to varying degrees. It's not pathetic at all. Or it is, and we're all pathetic, but that's OK, too!

I'm glad I found this place a few weeks ago myself! It's been a godsend.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these condo thingies after Christmas. Pépe has a Happy Hut that he never seems to chew on, but I'd rather have the peace of mind. Thank you for posting, and thanks to all for the helpful discussion!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Looks like Sammy and Skittles are going to have identical huts from MSBS. He tossed his handmade bed out of his room today, it could have ended badly. I really thought the bed was too heavy for him to move. Show's any toy has the potential to be dangerous.

Thanks for the idea, I didn't have to search far for a replacement.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I use a perch next to a soft hanging birdy toy that my conure sleeps with.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Allee What I particularly like about those condo huts is that it's not a throwaway product, just as it indicates on the website. They sell replacement parts so the initial condo hut is more an investment. That's what I really like. Is it the zebra bed that Sammy threw? I love that name "Sammy". That's what I named my second parakeet (budgie). He lived for 11 years. Unfortunately, when I had him there was no such thing as digital cameras or even social media. Most of my pics of him are on old polaroids. (Those instant photo things with the funny smelling white strip on the bottom). God, I feel old. LOL

@Manuiki I hear you there. I've not only gotten some great suggestions here on this forum but I've also felt a lot of validation. The kind you won't get from most 'non-bird' people. That can make you feel very isolated when you are struggling with an issue regarding your fids. We all help each other. It really is like a big family. I just love it here!

@Pinkbirdy Does your sun conure chew a lot?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
No I dont see a lot of chewing . But their must be some nibbling].By the looks of her toys :)

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Pinkybirdy Then you're lucky! Skittles is a MAJOR chewer. I have to keep a good stock of chew toys for him to avoid him doing what he used to do (chewing on wires). He doesn't do that anymore, he doesn't chew on things he's not supposed to - but that's only because I provide him with a vast array of chew toys and tell him what things he is NOT allowed to chew on.

Most Reactions