Could use some encouragement...

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I think its a good thing when they chew a lot. A sign of health and contentment :)

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
If that's true then Skittles must be the healthiest and most content conure in all of creation! LOL

I don't mind him chewing, it's actually very cute to watch. Particularly when he gets 'grabby' with his chew toys. For example, if I'm putting my hand towards him with a chew toy in it, he will rip the toy right out of my hand as if saying "gimme that!" LOL.

He has developed a new habit. He climbs down my shirt and just his head and neck are hidden. He puffs up, and makes little 'squeaking' noises.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I think its cute when you see them in shirts :) Ive only seen conures do that .

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
It is adorable. I am going to have to plant a hidden camera to catch him doing it, it's just the cutest thing.

I had a budgie when I was younger, Sammy, and he used to like to hang out in my armpit. Well, the shirt opening. But apparently, it's most common among conures.

Skittles new condo is coming in the mail today! It didn't take long! I just ordered it Tuesday afternoon. But they are only in NJ which ain't far to travel (mail wise).

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I also came late to this party, but it's not strange or pathetic. It's like parenting, cross species. So we are kind of left to wonder or imagine what they are thinking at us.
Sounds like you found a solution. My birds never had a cuddle hut except one budgie who was dying and lost the ability to perch (different situation...she needed something to stay comfortable until the end). I have done the soft pacifier type toys arranged around one perch that is preferred for sleeping. Gilbert pretty much nestles in among those toys and sleeps that way.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thanks Ruffles. Regardless of timing, it's always encouraging to get support, no matter when.

Skittles new digs is on the UPS truck right now, scheduled for delivery today.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
image.jpg

Tiki also sleeps snuggled under a soft toy with fleece strip dangling above him. It is so darn cute because he has to wiggle under the toy penguin every night. He has a seagrass snuggle hut that he like to play in but we have never seen him sleep in it. Not soft enough I guess. He's had the stuffed penguin since day one with us. We think it's his security blanket.

I have tried to take a clear picture but the one I attached is the best I can get, he moves too much, sorry.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
I know what you mean! I felt terrible taking away Moonie's snuggle hut because he loved it so much, but when I saw fibres hanging off the tip of his beak for me that was a huge red flag. It's not an easy decision, because you feel like you are taking away something they love, but as others have said it's like being a parent. I am sure no parent likes pinning down their child for an immunization as they kick and scream while getting "hurt", but we do it because we love them;)

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skitty's package arrived! I've already assembled his condo hut and put it in his cage. I couldn't get him to let me put him in it, but he had that same reaction to the cardboard box than I put in there a few days ago which he now suddenly loves.

I liked the way the box was packaged. The items were in two paper 'gift bags' with Christmas wrap tissue paper covering the tops and bows wrapped around the handles. There was also a 'surprise' for me and Skitty from the company! I got some chocolates and rainbow Twizzlers and Skittles got some mini-chew toys!

I am DEFINITELY ordering from them again! They are so much like Harrisons. A small company and really care about their customers. Thoroughly impressed! I don't even have to wrap Skittles presents!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Yayyyy! MSBS is the best! They have a lot of loyal customers, order once and you can't wait to order again. That extra personal touch makes a big difference. I hope Skittles loves all his gifts. Take lots of photos for his fans, please.

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
I really adore the way they package and wrap everything for every order! I always wonder what little freebies they'll throw in this time. I also live pretty close to NJ so my orders always get here in 2-3 days.

Every time you order from them you get rewards points, so frequent buyers can save up points and take a chunk off a future order, which I really love!
I also always forget what exactly I ordered, so when it arrives it's kind of like a mini Christmas each month where I get to unwrap everything. I think I get more excited than the birds do! Well, except for Nilly. She's always pretty excited about our packages from MSBS and the other store we go to. She also gets the empty box after, which is a great toy in its own right. I usually break it down into long, thick strips and weave those through her cage bars. Homegirl loves tearing cardboard apart.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That's funny, I was all excited about the package I got as well. It's funny, it's not even for me yet I am all excited about it.

I live in Maine and I ordered my stuff Tuesday afternoon. I got it yesterday. Not even 2 days.

Provided that MSBS can provide the expiration dates to their pellets, I will likely get my Harrisons from them as well. NJ is closer than TN so the S&H wouldn't be as much. Though I didn't pay any S&H on this past order because they had a promotion for free shipping on orders over $70. I like the idea of those reward points like you said.

On another topic, I took pictures of all Skittles 'presents' and I will upload them later.

He hasn't taken to the new condo hut yet (that I'm aware of) but he's also not freaking about it being in there either. He just won't let me put him in it, but he was the same way with the first cuddle hut as well as the cardboard box I put in a few days ago. I figure he'll discover it and use it at his own pace.

He's always taken to any and every toy I get him, eventually. Some he likes more than others but I at least know I'm not wasting money on stuff he won't like or use.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Here are the pictures I mentioned earlier. I included some of Skittles who was none too happy when I was taking a picture of his 'new' condo this evening. LOL

This is the 'suprise' that came with the package. (Sorry the 'human' treats had already been consumed. haha)
d
IMG_1676.jpg

This is the 'bags' it came in (from the box)

IMG_1677.jpg

This is what he got:

IMG_1679.jpg

and this is the 'replacement' cover for his new condo, as well as photos of the condo in his cage. (I removed the wooden center post cause it was in the way and didn't allow enough room for him to work around (he is rather big for a sunny). I didn't need it anyways as I had the side mount to hold it up:

IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
This is what I had already gotten for him prior: (from Petco) minus the two cuddle huts (I returned one of them, the other had already been chewed)

IMG_1678.jpg

Here are the pics of Skittles from when I was taking pictures of his new condo:

IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
That's quite the haul! Lucky birdie... I buy the yucca partot chips constantly, Paco chews them up like crazy. I typically put them on a ss skewer with abc blocks in between. Because I buy them so much and hate to waste, when they are not completely chewed but fall off the skewer, I poke one of those chew straws through them and make a dumbbell foot toy or use just one and call it a lollipop! I bought the larger strung kabob for Christmas, I anticipate it it be gone by the next day. The new hut is cute, hope he likes it!

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
Wow awesome! Lucky Skittles! He's so beautiful by the way! Those kabobs are the best!

What does MSBS stand for? I know of a place called My Safe Bird Store, but wasn't sure if that's what this acronym is referring to or if there's another place?

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@rosembers Yes, that's what it stands for. Thank you for the compliments as well. He is a darling! He's a little neon!

I'm gonna have to have his beak 'polished' at his next vet appointment. He doesn't get those chips and chafes like he used to now that he has that sanded perch which he rubs his beak on. But he ends up having those scratch marks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts