Day #5 for Ripley (picture extensive)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello friends and fellow Mac lovers. I was seriously going to wait a week until I updated on Ripley, but I just couldn't contain myself.

Today is only the 5th day since Ripley came home with me. And I honestly can't even count Wednesday and Thursday because I was in court all day Wednesday and 3/4 of the day on Thursday.

He is doing GREAT! If anything was ever meant to be....it was for me to bring Ripley home, NO kidding. All this happened SO much faster than I had ever hoped, heck...I wasn't expecting to even be looking until the end of this year. Goes to show you to expect the unexpected....AND it can be a pleasant surprise, too. :D

I will start with pictures, but since I've taken SO many today, I will have to reply to myself here. :54:

Ripley on Java Tree, munching away
IMG_6563_zps532c722c.jpg

Sitting pretty
IMG_6565_zps29c0f281.jpg

IMG_6566_zps22298e1e.jpg

IMG_6567_zpsddcf22d9.jpg

That thing lasted under 10 seconds. :eek:
IMG_6569_zpsca81141a.jpg

Hanging out with husband
IMG_6571_zpsfd7f5c35.jpg

...to be continued :D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Feeling REAL good....and vocalizing while he's at it. Yup...I can still hear.
IMG_6599_zpsc59b018b.jpg

More of the same
IMG_6600_zps03ad2994.jpg

And when I say he snuggles....he SNUGGLES!!!!
IMG_6598_zps3e0cb3e9.jpg

I will NOT embarrass myself and post the "not so flattering" photos :54:...but he and I are getting along just GREAT! :D

He wants NOTHING to do with water....so tomorrow I'll be building a shower perch. I will post my results in he DIY section, so please stay tuned. :)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I am really pleased for you Wendy:)

Ripley has settled in so well and so quickly!

It sounds like he has taken to everyone in the house?

He is stunning:) The pics are awesome.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Thank you for sharing Ripley's photos!!! :D :D :D

P.S.~In the last photo of your first post I see a flying fid shadow. ;)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh yeah, I LOVE responding to myself, lol, but I forgot to mention a "few" important things:

This boy can EAT!!:D No matter what I offer him, he eats it. No kidding! He adjusted to "my" diet literally overnight, even though I must say that he was fed a healthy diet the +/- 18 months he spent at Bird Paradise. :) He emptied his food bowl with my home cooked recipe in under 10 minutes today. :eek:

He is SUPER gentle when taking food from the hand.

He steps up immediately when asked....and back down. ;)

He is VERY well socialized with people. He steps onto the husband and my neighbor just as easily as he does with me. :)

He is VERY energetic and agile. :11:

He can chew. He chews. He destroys. Did I say he chews? :54:

He is a LOVER!!!!! :10:....and I am in love all over again. :30:

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am really pleased for you Wendy:)

Ripley has settled in so well and so quickly!

It sounds like he has taken to everyone in the house?

He is stunning:) The pics are awesome.

Thank you SO SO much, Wendy!!!! It's a miracle, I swear! I NEVER expected this to happen so fast...and for him to make himself at home this quickly. :) Oh, Ripley takes to EVERYBODY, no kidding. ;) REALLY well socialized.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you for sharing Ripley's photos!!! :D :D :D

P.S.~In the last photo of your first post I see a flying fid shadow. ;)

It's entirely my pleasure. :)

OMG...you had me going there for a minute, but I just realized WHAT that "flying" thing is. It's my Avocado tree. Yup, I'm growing one...indoors...and it is FAR FAR away from the fids. ;) (started it from pit just last year, and it's over 3' tall already)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Very excellent and awesome, Wendy! It's so good to see and know that Ripley has found a perfect home :). Thanks for sharing!!

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
awwwwwwwww my goodness!:32: he's such a handsome fella. i must say i am envious since i have joined the forums just to get more info on the gw's. ALOT of the people i have talked to have these guys. and it makes me sooooooo anxious to finally have one of my own. but seeing your pictures and reading the posts gets me going even more:30: im super excited. and ripley is a very lucky boy to have you as his mommy,:09: i can't help but to be a little jealous, but im sorry i just want to share stories and photos too with every body else. it is frustrating that i can't. soon enough i will and i will be flooding this place with them. :D i'm ecstatic for your new addition.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
This boy can EAT!!:D No matter what I offer him, he eats it. No kidding!
I should mention that Salsa is EXACTLY like Ripley in that regard. He has eaten anything and everything I've offered him from day one. He's the only bird I have who's truly bottomless! Ripley sounds like a carbon copy of Sals appetite and food preference-wise :D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
awwwwwwwww my goodness!:32: he's such a handsome fella. i must say i am envious since i have joined the forums just to get more info on the gw's. ALOT of the people i have talked to have these guys. and it makes me sooooooo anxious to finally have one of my own. but seeing your pictures and reading the posts gets me going even more:30: im super excited. and ripley is a very lucky boy to have you as his mommy,:09: i can't help but to be a little jealous, but im sorry i just want to share stories and photos too with every body else. it is frustrating that i can't. soon enough i will and i will be flooding this place with them. :D i'm ecstatic for your new addition.

Heather, your time will come - NO doubt!!!! :D All I can say is: You can NOT go wrong with a GW. ;) Please don't be envious, just share in my joy. I never, not in a million years, thought I'd be in the position I am in right now at this particular time. Thank you for your kind words, too. :)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I should mention that Salsa is EXACTLY like Ripley in that regard. He has eaten anything and everything I've offered him from day one. He's the only bird I have who's truly bottomless! Ripley sounds like a carbon copy of Sals appetite and food preference-wise :D

Reading THAT got me even more excited (if that's even remotely possibly). ;) Do you think it's a GW trait? The "bottomless pit" thing? I swear, I have NEVER encountered a feathered one who can consume THAT much...with SUCH enthusiasm, I should add. :D If I didn't know any better, I'd say Ripley is smiling from ear to ear the minute he realizes I have a goody in my hand for him - regardless of what it is.

Now here's a REAL funny: I HATE bananas! The smell alone makes me gag. I've been like this for years. I can't really explain it. I used to love them as a child.
Anyway, Ripley LOVES bananas, so now I'm finding myself peeling and cutting bananas on a daily basis. :32: Unbelievable, isn't it? :54:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

Reading THAT got me even more excited (if that's even remotely possibly). ;) Do you think it's a GW trait?
I'm not sure. Maybe we should take a poll on bottomlessness among the GWs owned by forum members ;)

Now here's a REAL funny: I HATE bananas! The smell alone makes me gag. I've been like this for years. I can't really explain it. I used to love them as a child.
That's hard for me to understand, since I LOVE bananas! I think they're especially outstanding with a bit of Nutella on them:p! And, personally, I have always loved the way they smell. I try to keep organic ones on hand here on a regular basis. Whenever anyone says they hate bananas, I always think to myself: "how can anyone hate such sweet and delicious fruit?" It seems I'm in Ripley's corner on this one :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sometimes, members love to live vicariously through each other.... maybe another member has their dream/future bird, and for whatever reasons, the first person doesn't have that bird (yet). It may in fact invigorate them!

Sounds like Ripley is a true gentleman! He's gorgeous!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Reading THAT got me even more excited (if that's even remotely possibly). ;) Do you think it's a GW trait?
I'm not sure. Maybe we should take a poll on bottomlessness among the GWs owned by forum members ;)

That's hard for me to understand, since I LOVE bananas! I think they're especially outstanding with a bit of Nutella on them:p! And, personally, I have always loved the way they smell. I try to keep organic ones on hand here on a regular basis. Whenever anyone says they hate bananas, I always think to myself: "how can anyone hate such sweet and delicious fruit?" It seems I'm in Ripley's corner on this one :D

Jeepers...Plax...this is next to impossible for me to quote on...but I just had to..so bear with me, lol:

I'm all for the poll on appetite with GWs. Ought to be quite interesting. :D

As for the banana part: :32: Hey, at least I'm trying.....LMAO.

FWIW, I can DRINK bananas in a protein shake...I just can't get myself to put one in my mouth. :54:....I'll leave it at that.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sometimes, members love to live vicariously through each other.... maybe another member has their dream/future bird, and for whatever reasons, the first person doesn't have that bird (yet). It may in fact invigorate them!

Definitely! That bird had to have been the one and only SALSA!!! :D

Sounds like Ripley is a true gentleman! He's gorgeous!

Thank you SO SO much!!! :) When I say I'm beyond pleased...it's an understatement, for sure. :D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
We're all family here....right???? :eek:

I have some REALLY cute, but UNFLATTERING pictures to share. Just look at the bird...please :52:

img6596c.jpg

img6592cl.jpg

img6593a.jpg

img6595a.jpg
\\

Obviously I did NOT take these.... I know they are blurry...I know I've got to lose weight....but it DOES show the LOVE CONNECTION. :10:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Wendy, the first photo in your most recent set is in-focus. And, more importantly, it is astoundingly impressive!!! (especially since Ripley has only been there a few days! :)). I think it's a perfect Macaw kiss picture in fact!! But the other photos are quite amazing, too... and, I must say, the cages in the background are in perfect focus in those ;):D.

You have one wonderful bird there! :)

Most Reactions