dead budgie?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
sorry, a little confused. So you bought 2 budgies, one just dropped to the floor, you then threw them in the bin, then a week later that same budgie was flying around the kitchen alive and well?

I have so many questions regarding this but here are the chief among them.

1. Why did you put the alive budgie in with your others if the other "died" surely that's reason to believe that they have a disease which can be spread to the rest of your aviary and kill all of your birds.

2. Why didn't you check them for breathing/a pulse before announcing death?

Check for pulse??

heartbeat. Possibly my medical training being too ingrained but whenever I see anyone/any animal unconscious my first instinct is to check for a heartbeat followed by checking for breathing

Triggers: Your recommendation /response is correct, although with a Parrot, the chest provides an excellent chamber to hear the beat of the heart. This is done by placing the chest of the Parrot softly against your ear. The normal high rate of a Parrot's heart can be heard. With the effects of "Torpor" the rate will be slower, nearer to that of a Human's heart rate.

Pulse can be felt with more difficulty (but is possible with training) by placing the thumb lightly next to the side of the neck. It would be a vibration and not the pulsing felt with Humans. Most people will have great difficulty understand what they are feeling.

I would rather have you near by if my Amazon had such an event!!! Thank-you making that point!

Scott: I had forgotten about the effects of Torpor in Parrots! Thank-you, for the reminder!

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I bought a budgie once and it was dead before I got it home so stress can have deadly results. But If it were stiff, it was definitely dead. rigor mortis does not set in if the bird is alive. There has to be a better explanation.
the body was stiff but was flopping but ive been told by a breeder it could have been stress and was out cold or playing i tend to believe the first explanation more than the second though

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Please tell me you didn't put a flopping bird in the trash.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I bought a budgie once and it was dead before I got it home so stress can have deadly results. But If it were stiff, it was definitely dead. rigor mortis does not set in if the bird is alive. There has to be a better explanation.
the body was stiff but was flopping but ive been told by a breeder it could have been stress and was out cold or playing i tend to believe the first explanation more than the second though

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Please tell me you didn't put a flopping bird in the trash.

Exactly what I was thinking!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hi,

I can't seem to find anything about parrots entering torpor, nor have I ever heard of them doing so. Can you provide me with a source for this happening? I would be quite interested to learn more of this.

Thanks

From phone

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Troll??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trolls come on to posts without offering anything pertaining to the post. They rarely post threads.

Do a search for SilverSage and you'll find she is one of the most respected members. If she has doubts, so do many others!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi,

I can't seem to find anything about parrots entering torpor, nor have I ever heard of them doing so. Can you provide me with a source for this happening? I would be quite interested to learn more of this.

Thanks

From phone

Couldn't find examples of parrots, but this: https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/Temperature_Regulation.html

Apparently Hummingbirds, Swifts, and Poorwills engage in torpor. Article above explains how birds in general regulate temperature and metabolism.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Yes, I am well familiar with torpor. :) I was asking for a particular case with parrots. If there isn't one, though, I would not think that that is what occurred here, or indeed even that it happens. I could be wrong absolutely, but in the absense of evidence it is easier not to make a positive claim.. that it, if there is no evidence of a thing happening, it makes more sense to say the thing doesn't happen than it does to say it is the possible reason for another extremely unlikely scenario.

I vote troll for this thread also. It's just too out there.

If you do find anything about parrots and torpor, though, I would be absolutely fascinated by it and please share!

From phone

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Troll??

Trolls come on to posts without offering anything pertaining to the post. They rarely post threads.

Do a search for SilverSage and you'll find she is one of the most respected members. If she has doubts, so do many others!

LOL! Wow, the things that get misunderstood. But hey, it's the internet. My reply was never questioning the character of the member but rather understanding what she meant by 'troll'.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Don’t worry, I wasn’t offended. Though we do get people now and then posting nonsense to get a reaction and I do suspect that’s what’s going on here ;)

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
Don’t worry, I wasn’t offended. Though we do get people now and then posting nonsense to get a reaction and I do suspect that’s what’s going on here ;)

DemandingInsecureIbex-max-1mb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Nah, I appreciate him sticking up for me. It’s easy to misunderstand things online and it’s always nice to know someone has your back.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
I do like that a lot about this community. Everyone is eager to look out for one another. :) Not going to name names, but I got a PM sticking up for Scott over my asking about torpor so I too will state for the record that I wasn't attacking anyone or bringing anyone's credibility into question(or meaning to anyway). Was just looking to learn something new. :) Without the context of tone and body language it can be hard to tell online. Threads like these make me quite glad I found this community.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yup, agreed on the tight knit-nes of this community. So many others will berate you if you disagree with them even if what they do is objectively wrong (say for example clipping only one macaw wing because "They need to learn their place") Here discussion is encouraged and multiple viewpoints are shown. No one singular person or concept is "correct" life would be far too easy if it was! (Though we can all agree clipping one side only is bad)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I’ve also received PMs sticking up for other members when I’ve been out of line and even a few very blunt “simmer down” messages; I really like the community here :)

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I’ve also received PMs sticking up for other members when I’ve been out of line and even a few very blunt “simmer down” messages; I really like the community here :)

I think most people like it when others stick up for them, that's just human nature. However, it should be warranted and not done just for the sake of doing it.

I don't think I have ever encountered anyone on the internet, no matter how nasty, that I couldn't handle myself.

And yes, I like this site too. I find it very helpful.

Have a nice one.

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
Perhaps someone buried it in a pet cemetery and it came back like in the Stephen King book?

LOL!

I couldn't turn out my lights for a week after reading that book. And I will never look at orange tabby cats again without thinking of 'Church'.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you to all the members that have been part of this Thread. However, the Thread has wandered far away from the OP's discussion. Based on that reality, this Thread no longer represents the original discussion.

At this point, the Thread is Shut-Down!

Again, thank-you for your participation.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I like bananas!

Most Reactions