Debating Whether to Keep My Baby or Find Another Home for her 24/7 after sibling died

Gxg

Sep 15, 2016
GA
Parrots
Peace & Quiet (Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conures, brother and sister). They are my babies whom I love very much and they are such a blessing.
DAY AFTER and still giving time to things. Baby girl is here chilling here and it is sad being here. She has been flying around all day the house and chilling with me. She goes to her cage a lot and when I tried to keep her with me, she'd fly back to her cage. But it saddened me since a couple of times she'd make calls from the other room where her brother/her stayed and I came there - with her sitting on the door and stepping up to me when I asked her to. I have to work 10:00 am to 5:00 pm daily and trying ti work out a way for us to be together more so due to her by herself.

Can't bring her with me to work obviously and it was different before when she had her sibling to be with and music playing. ANd wondering...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh dear I’m so sorry for what the two of you are going through. But it’s only day two so don’t go making any major decisions while emotions are still so raw. Surely there’s nothing sadder than one little birdie alone after having been so close to another, but you are the flock leader and I can only imagine she needs you now more than ever. With the passing of some time you may feel more inclined to bring another baby home, for yourself as much as for your baby girlie (I call my lorikeet “Girlie” when she’s misbehaving which is most of the time!)

Big warm feather hugs to you both in the meantime, I know things aren’t easy for either of you just now.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Leave a radio or tv on and be sure to provide several feed (hide or tricky) toys and chew things and other toys to occupy the bird.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Do not make major changes during a time of greif.
Re-home at this point will put much stress on your bird.
Findings a perfect home is beyond difficulty, and there are no assurance that they will treat your bird better than you do.
Many people work and have a single bird.
Please support your bird and yourself during greiving. Post pone any rehome until after your bird has adjusted. Then if you feel you must and you think about it, and take as much time as possible to find a good home. But rember you are likely the best home, you love your bird so much , give yourself time to make any decision.

Most Reactions