Depression: How do you deal with it?

916animal

Sep 20, 2013
Sacramento
Parrots
I had a Moluccan Cockatoo for years and miss him dearly
I only said to pm me if there was something you needed to say that you didn't want everyone reading. One thing I noticed I did and sometimes still do is isolate. When I get down in that unhappy place I tend to distance myself from people. That only makes it worse. Even if its just a quick trip to the store for something small, you will be around people. I broke myself out of isolation buy making myself go to the store every day for a fresh item to include in the days dinner. Whether its for your family, you or the bird! This task has multiple purposes. It hopefully gets you in the sun, even if for a minuet, gets you out of your environment, forces you to be around people and possibly interact with a new person, hopefully promotes healthy eating, a little exercise and gives you purpose buy providing your family with a nice meal and bringing everyone to the table together. Now getting all of theses things out of this task might not be the case for you but you will likely get three of them. I hope this was somewhat helpful, I sympathize with you because its not easy dealing with depression. You should talk to a professional who can better provide the help you need. Asking for help is a good thing! My thoughts are with you, stay strong sweetie.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Thank you everyone for your help. I wasn't feeling much better until my first ultrasound yesterday. Baby is healthy (as far as they can tell) and I am actually 9 weeks... O.O cheered me up to see a heartbeat. I was dreading the possibility of not seeing any hearbeat at all. So yes, very relieved! So, my last baby was just under 2 months old when i fell pregnant this time. I am far too fertile for my liking.

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
I think we all go through our waves of depression....it may sound strange but what helps me is being around animals of all kinds. I used to volunteer every few weeks at the local spca and it helped my depression tremendously....there was something about those animals and feeling like I was doing some good in their lives that made me feel good about myself. I also enjoy volunteering with seniors when I can....it has the same effect on me.... It helps me feel good about myself to help others have a better day...eapecially those who are vulnerable as well but in a different way.....plus I love to hear the stories some of those old guys have to tell.... I really hope you start feeling better soon :)

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Depression is difficult to deal with. You said you were pregnant and the fluctuating hormones may be adding fuel to the fire. I'm assuming you are receiving prenatal care and I suggest you mention these feelings to your doctor. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your doctor then talk to the nurse about your feelings.

Although you were being careful in choosing words about discussing your husband and him not wanting to accept outside help, I suspect he is doing this because he wants to control you and you sense this. Many women find themselves in this situation and eventually lose their self worth.
Many people become depressed because of what they are NOT doing. They wanted a certain kind of life and that life is not happening. Many people simply do not know what to do to in this type of situation, and the most difficult aspect of depression is reaching out for help. Some people don't want to reach out because getting help means change and change is terrifying. They don't know what to expect as their is so much false information out there about depression.

Since you have a computer, I suggest you research the issue of Depression and learn about this disease as much as you can. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of but is difficult to treat because of the stigma attached to this problem. Knowledge always helps in dealing with Depression.

And never forget you are not the only one with depression. There are many folks out there who have dealt with feelings of sadness, worthlessness, suicide and have survived. The key to their survival was the ability to ask for help. It's time to take stock, look around, and reach out for help. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. There is an entire army waiting to help you.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have a macaw. She doesn't allow me to become depressed...

I also skydive... You'd be surprised what a release that one is...

Pregnancy hormones can trigger this too you know... Parrots aren't the only things who become hormonal when breeding... so it may be entirely organic.

I can't even begin to put myself into your circumstances. So I really can't advise you.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
i am sorry i am just seeing this thread.
i think anyone can become depressed and some of us are simply wired to be more likely to become depressed than others. Being pregnant puts your body through so much, physically and mentally (and many other ways) so that can definitely throw you. I have struggled with depression and anxiety at different stages (anxiety is probably dominant in me, not depression) but when i was pregnant and subsequently miscarried, my moods were all over the map.

Sometimes you can find the formula that works for yourself. Like Birdman said about skydiving, for some people an intense experience can really jump start your mind and body again. (Obviously not a pregnant woman's activity!)

For me, i found that i must have difficulty regulating myself (circadian rhythm). My sleep can get all over the place and my hunger/thirst will go awry if i don't keep a fairly rigid control over my schedule. It can seem like a drag but if i eat/drink/sleep/wake/exercise on a VERY regular routine i have very few issues with sleep problems, headaches, moodiness, depression. It is one of the reasons i credit my pets with 'saving me'. It is good for them to have a set pattern and it helps enforce the policy that i try to establish the routine for them as well as myself.

BTW congrats again on the new baby!

Most Reactions