Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That's a wonderful story (except the fact that you had to change things at the shop in the first place...). :) I can't believe they did the right thing, but it goes to show that not all people are bad. I bet if a lot of people did this, pet shops would most definitely improve. From now on if I see bad conditions in pet shops, I know I'll try and get them to improve things.

I wish you could all see the difference where the birds are concerned.
They are now friendly, happy content bird.
I personally think all pet shop owners, should have staff trained, send them on courses etc, before employing them.
Believe me, it took up a lot of my time, but the end result made it all worth it.
Glad to hear, you would be prepared to do something about the conditions of the pet shops. ;)

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
Thats great how you took time to help =). Not all people are like that-sadly. Its also great how they listened! Good job!! Lets hope they will stay all good and clean!!

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Unfortunately I have the same problem with the pet shop here. They WILL NOT listen to me! Understandable as I'm only 12 but still. They give bad advice to people and put fresh newspaper on top of old newspaper and put visually sick birds in with healthy ones. They have sold a pink cockatiel and an orange budgie! As if! Next time I'm in there I'll give them a piece of mind! There is built up droppings in between cages and the cages are tiny and rusted. Until recently I have always gone to that petshop and only one bird has lasted more than a month. And they are expensive to top it off. I'm creating a leaflet to drop off there about caring for birds.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Oh dear, that's terrible! I'm so glad you're taking action, good for you. I just hope they will listen to you...

A pink cockatiel and an orange budgie? Wierd. Was it because of malnutrition you think?

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
No, they had obviously dyed them. There is no such thing as an orange budgie or a pink cockatiel. I haven't been there yet as they aren't open for most of the weekend and I have school.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I just read the entire thread and all I can say is I am so glad it has "ended" the way it has ended and good for you. I hope it stays this way!!

So far so good, first visited them on 19/1/2010, thereafter maybe once or twice a week. (live close by). Never had a problem. Been almost three months, and they have kept their word.
Makes me happy, to know that the birds are happy and being well cared for. :D

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Almost five months have passed since I spotted the "disgusting pet shop"
Been popping in and out, un-announced. Not once have they let me down.
The Macaw is still there, what a beautiful happy bird.
Chatted to the manager for a while, he mentioned, since caring properly for the birds, their sales have increased
Whenever visiting them, the cages were spotless, clean water bowls, fresh fruit in a bowl, other bowl filled with pellets.
Most importantly the birds are well cared for and happy.
"Parrot Police Force" will continue keeping an eye on our feathered friends.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Antoinette, I truly admire what you did for those birds and the people! Sometimes it takes a lot of guts to speak your mind and you did it! I may be naive but I believe a lot of people who work in pet-shops really do care about animals. Unfortunately they lack training and knowledge needed. You provided them with that knowledge and now they are grateful. Wonderful job..... I commend you "captain bird-brain!" ;)

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
I've just seen this thread for the first time, Antoinette, you truly are an angel sent from heaven to help those birds who are unable to help themselves. I don't believe (as someone else suggested) that reporting them would've been the answer, they might have cleaned up their act for a while but they wouldn't have been any the wiser on the things you managed to teach them, feeding the correct way, cleaning daily, interaction and so on. I don't believe these were bad people, just ignorant to the birds' needs, you have educated them and they know that you will call in often and they won't know when.

Antoinette, you are the best!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I've just seen this thread for the first time, Antoinette, you truly are an angel sent from heaven to help those birds who are unable to help themselves. I don't believe (as someone else suggested) that reporting them would've been the answer, they might have cleaned up their act for a while but they wouldn't have been any the wiser on the things you managed to teach them, feeding the correct way, cleaning daily, interaction and so on. I don't believe these were bad people, just ignorant to the birds' needs, you have educated them and they know that you will call in often and they won't know when.

Antoinette, you are the best!

Thanks for the kind words mpw..... ;)
I second everything above. It was tough at first, I admit in the beginning, I didn't think they would listen. After spending time there, chatting about the birds, I realized that no one had a clue about the daily needs and up keep of birds. Thank goodness it all turned out well, for the birds. The pet shop is about 6 blocks from us, in a big shopping centre. We continue to visit them whenever possible, happy to say all is in order. The birds are happy, clean cages, pellets, fruit and clean water. What more could I ask for........... Actually 2 weeks ago, I asked the age of the AG, it's a female, she mentioned she is 7 years old :grey: we have never ever heard the bird talk :eek: :eek: :eek:

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Steven and I popped into the pet shop being the "Parrot Police" :propeller
The cages were not 100% clean, they clean them later on, that's okay with me. They have enough clean water and pellets.
I walked over to where the macaw is caged. His name is Elvis, he's 4 years old. Has the most beautiful colouring. I was standing near enough almost facing him face to face. I asked him do you love mommy? :D he started nodding his head up and down just like :grey: does, I stood there laughing.
Poor Steven, so stressed, because I was "nose to beak" with Elvis.
Elvis is massive compared to Mishka, like "Samson & Goliath". The next moment Elvis held on to a perch with his beak,, his two claws came out through the bars. As if he wanted me to touch him,
(sign says NO TOUCHING) I could not help it, my motherly instinct came in, and I placed my pointer between his claws. WOW what strength, he has, he held my pointer so tightly, felt like a human gripping my finger. Steven was already in over stress mode, whispering to me, let go, don't touch him, he's going to hurt your hand (my right hand is permanently injured due to an Ulnar nerve injury 8 years ago). No human can touch my right hand BUT birds can. :grey: steps onto my right hand only, has never ever hurt me. Elvis would not let my finger go, and I was not complaining. Eventually he let go, giving me kisses through the bars. I had such an adrenaline rush, my whole body was hot, I was so excited. It felt like Christmas today, just letting the macaw grip my pointer.

You guys must think I am mad, BUT it was a moment I will never forget :jumping40

Last edited:

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Steven and I popped into the pet shop being the "Parrot Police" :propeller
The cages were not 100% clean, they clean them later on, that's okay with me. They have enough clean water and pellets.
I walked over to where the macaw is caged. His name is Elvis, he's 4 years old. Has the most beautiful colouring. I was standing near enough almost facing him face to face. I asked him do you love mommy? :D he started nodding his head up and down just like :grey: does, I stood there laughing.
Poor Steven, so stressed, because I was "nose to beak" with Elvis.
Elvis is massive compared to Mishka, like "Samson & Goliath". The next moment Elvis held on to a perch with his beak,, his two claws came out through the bars. As if he wanted me to touch him,
(sign says NO TOUCHING) I could not help it, my motherly instinct came in, and I placed my pointer between his claws. WOW what strength, he has, he held my pointer so tightly, felt like a human gripping my finger. Steven was already in over stress mode, whispering to me, let go, don't touch him, he's going to hurt your hand (my right hand is permanently injured due to an Ulnar nerve injury 8 years ago). No human can touch my right hand BUT birds can. :grey: steps onto my right hand only, has never ever hurt me. Elvis would not let my finger go, and I was not complaining. Eventually he let go, giving me kisses through the bars. I had such an adrenaline rush, my whole body was hot, I was so excited. It felt like Christmas today, just letting the macaw grip my pointer.

You guys must think I am mad, BUT it was a moment I will never forget :jumping40

I don't think anybody here will think you mad. I think we all understand and empathize completely and can well picture ourselves feeling exactly the way you did.

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Sunday morning, in a shopping centre here in South Africa, my son and I popped into a reputable pet shop just after 11am.
We were the only "customer's" in the shop.
Visited the shop previously, and noticed how beautuful the Macaw was talking and whisteling.
A Congo African Grey was sitting in the corner of a cage. Absolutely petrified, kept knocking his beak continuously on a perch.
Next to the cage was the Macaw, screaming loudly, practically running up and down the bars.
Both birds were so stressed. Taking a closer look, I was so disgusted.
Their water bowls were green in colour, their dropping floating around, reckon they are not given fresh water daily.
There food bowls were just as awful.
The newspaper at the botton was thick in droppings, food and feathers.
Probably not been cleaned for a number of days.
Takes a few minutes to give fresh water, food and change the newspaper, not like they were busy at all.
These are people trying to sell birds, telling someone how care for a bird. What example are they giving the public.
Not suggesting that they are bird experts in any way, but for crying out aloud....... give them fresh water and food daily, keep their cages clean.
Makes my blood boil......
Take care, and care for your birdie

Don't you just wish you could take them both home and get them back into a healthy state?

That's cruel!!! You should report to the authority's or something, I mean that's just animal Cruelty.

Now i'm not Peta freak but I do care for birds that I see in stress. :(

I think now i'm going to make an extra good effort to clean Peeps cage weekly. It's so hard yet so easy you know?

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sunday morning, in a shopping centre here in South Africa, my son and I popped into a reputable pet shop just after 11am.
We were the only "customer's" in the shop.
Visited the shop previously, and noticed how beautuful the Macaw was talking and whisteling.
A Congo African Grey was sitting in the corner of a cage. Absolutely petrified, kept knocking his beak continuously on a perch.
Next to the cage was the Macaw, screaming loudly, practically running up and down the bars.
Both birds were so stressed. Taking a closer look, I was so disgusted.
Their water bowls were green in colour, their dropping floating around, reckon they are not given fresh water daily.
There food bowls were just as awful.
The newspaper at the botton was thick in droppings, food and feathers.
Probably not been cleaned for a number of days.
Takes a few minutes to give fresh water, food and change the newspaper, not like they were busy at all.
These are people trying to sell birds, telling someone how care for a bird. What example are they giving the public.
Not suggesting that they are bird experts in any way, but for crying out aloud....... give them fresh water and food daily, keep their cages clean.
Makes my blood boil......
Take care, and care for your birdie

Don't you just wish you could take them both home and get them back into a healthy state?

That's cruel!!! You should report to the authority's or something, I mean that's just animal Cruelty.

Now i'm not Peta freak but I do care for birds that I see in stress. :(

I think now i'm going to make an extra good effort to clean Peeps cage weekly. It's so hard yet so easy you know?

Hi Mrspy, this post actually has 53 threads, before your posting. We first visited the pet shop on 19/01/2010.
If you read through a few of them, there was no need to take further action.

Ps .. The staff clean the cages daily, we timed it one day, took us
approximately 14 minutes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Still.....I wanted to put in my 2 cents. ;)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Thank you Antoinette! Thanks for making a difference and sharing the whole experience - you really are a true example to all of us.
thankyou.gif

Wow, I can imagine how you felt when Elvis made personal contact with you - definitely something you will never forget. He thanked you in his parrot way because he know since you started visiting his life changed.

What a happy story!
sFun_cheerleader2-1.gif

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thank you Antoinette! Thanks for making a difference and sharing the whole experience - you really are a true example to all of us.
thankyou.gif

Wow, I can imagine how you felt when Elvis made personal contact with you - definitely something you will never forget. He thanked you in his parrot way because he know since you started visiting his life changed.

What a happy story!
sFun_cheerleader2-1.gif

I am sure you would have done exactly the same :smile009:

Most Reactions

Latest posts