Do Conures as they age calm down?

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
All Chico wants to do is run around (in and out of his cage) and I was just wondering if Conure's as they get older just want to sit. It doesn't matter much its just nice to see a calm bird once in a while.

P.S. Are your Conure's super active/ADHD (in and out of the cage)?

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
Felix is 6 months old and he has his moments of hyperactivity. I was quite surprised at how mellow Felix is tbh.... I was a bit worried at first because he is very calm and quiet by nature it seems. Felix is new to our home so perhaps he is still adjusting and will perk up more as he gets settled. In some ways I had the complete opposite question not too long ago wondering if he would become more active....

I will be watching this thread as I hope more experienced conure owners weigh in.....

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My Georgie was always a calm bird. She was the extremely calm baby when I went to see the babies (I wanted the crazier one actually, but she just wanted to be with me instantly and was calm, so i took her, thinking training would be easier.) However she was more of a big attitude bird, a rebel, and wanted everything HER WAY and went into a complete snit if she didn't get her way. This toned down with age. Not sure if it was 'with age' or if she just learned what was appropriate with training.

Someone else with an older bird who was hyper as a youngster can probably provide more insight.

Oopisy

Feb 16, 2013
Paradise CA
Parrots
Sylvarie Jenday Conure
Sylvarie wasn't really Hyper when i found him nor is he now the only time he really gets noisy and moves is when my son comes in the room and Sylvarie runs away or flys away but now he will fly to me to cuddle and roll over and play. he is getting more active with me and my wife but does not like the kid lol

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
Mine has always been quite calm ... she's very happy to sit on my shoulder and preen herself or my hair for as long as I will let her.

psittac

Oct 8, 2013
Petrie has always been a calmn bird, just sits on my shoulder or in my shirt. Never wants to be separate from me. Granted she has an attitude but not hyper.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes they do! Ruby who is still with my best friend, I give her to him when I moved. She is about 20 years old now. She have mellowed out quite a bit he says. She's a Nanday Conure. Got her 16 years ago when she was about 3.

Most Reactions

Latest posts