Do it yourself jumbo atom swing

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I made an atom for Fargo!!

Have no idea whats gotten into me this week. So creative! hahaha

Braided fleece on the wire, took me 25 minutes each ring.. I was SO sore after !

It is super big! Will hang it from the roof somewhere.. Need to re-organise my room since the tree came in.. Have to hang the net up as well!!

But anyways, here it is!!!!!!! I know its not perfect, has a bit braid mistakes and the wire isnt perfect in shape haha

A round of applause for the lovely model Fargo

and here is the tree so far.. With no toys or anything, just got to vet wrap it

Smeagol loves it to pieces, he climbs around it all night!!!!!

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Omg I'm so jealous- an atom is on my list of things to make! What kind of wire did you use??

And fargo's such a fabulous model :D

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Wow!!! Is there anything you can't do Tab???!!!! So AWESOME!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Now that you've got Fargo all set up in his new man cave.....is your dad planning to build you a room for yourself?

Fargo's digs look good.....I'm sure he doesn't get bored......!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha thank you :D

Shirre- I am not actually 100% sure what the wire is, cause its not really wire, well it is, but there is a thick hard plastic coating over it... It is a safe wire that we use for my horses, so they cant cut themselves.. So Fargo cant get the wire, because the hard plastic is over it, and then thick fleece is all the way around it!! :p

He is a bit of a show off when he models, holding his wings out? ;) hahaha

Echo- HAHAHA there is alot i cant do! :eek: I CANNOT make bird toys.. I am brilliant at making him stands and gyms... But i cant make an actual toy.. They look terrible!

But get this! Last night we had the ambulance here (long story) and they asked me if i wanted to be a paramedic !!!!! :eek: Apparently i am so calm and dont panic or worry!
So maybe i can do everything ;) HAHA

Weco- Hahahaha! My dad actually wants to enclose the back verandah for Fargo, so he doesnt have to be in my room.. But then we wouldn't spend as much time together, and he would be out there by himself... And i actually really like having my room all colourful and playful... If it was just my room i would just have my bed... and my couch... :p

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Hmmmm...interesting wire lol- I wonder if I could find it at our local farm store? or I guess I could use PVC.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
you never cease to amaze me Tab!!, I laughed when I read your title.

well done!, I don't think Fargo cares about the imperfections, it probably adds to the fun,lol.
Awesome job!!!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I am not entirely sure where you could get it, do you have like a hard ware shop? I know its specially made for horses, so a horse cant cut itself if it gets caught! Because my baby horse decides to try and get himself caught each and every day, just cause its funny watching mum try and help :rolleyes:

And yes the bendy PVC would work, and would make it thicker too!

Hahaha thank you Beth :D

He played on it for a little while, now hes in his cage having a time out for trying to destroy the wall where i hung his net up ;)

But will be putting the atom above his new tree! When i have enough effort to go get the ladder and put the hook in the roof :09:

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
@Tab why do you vet wrap the branches? I've only bought our play stands so I'm not sure of all the rules on making your own.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ohh, i just vet wrap them on the steep branches so it helps with his grip... This tree isnt a rough branch/bark.. So i have just wrapped it so its easier to climb on, otherwise he might slip :)

All his other trees and branches arent wrapped, because they have a very rough bark texture!

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
Ok, thanks. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Tab, I beg to differ: it *is* perfect! Fargo is obviously having a ball on it and isn't that what it's for???

I've often thought you could use plastic hula hoops to make a whopper atom for a big bird (eg. Fargo). If you're in Australia, you can get largish metal rings from Spotlight for a couple of dollars. I bet Joanne's or Walmart have them in the US. Or, you could use eight gauge fencing wire. I used two wire coat hangers, slightly overlapped and wrapped with duct tape, then covered with fat piping cord (also from Spotlight). I've also found you can get really fat (1"+) sisal rope for not-very-much from marine shops. The only thing I *can't* find a supplier for is the coloured cotton rope they use to make boings and atoms and swings. That's why I use piping cord.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Very nice and creative!
I love how Fargo uses it right away.
Looks like he just loves your new project....That's what matters most!
Great atom, one of the best I have seen that are self made.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Tab, I beg to differ: it *is* perfect! Fargo is obviously having a ball on it and isn't that what it's for???

I've often thought you could use plastic hula hoops to make a whopper atom for a big bird (eg. Fargo). If you're in Australia, you can get largish metal rings from Spotlight for a couple of dollars. I bet Joanne's or Walmart have them in the US. Or, you could use eight gauge fencing wire. I used two wire coat hangers, slightly overlapped and wrapped with duct tape, then covered with fat piping cord (also from Spotlight). I've also found you can get really fat (1"+) sisal rope for not-very-much from marine shops. The only thing I *can't* find a supplier for is the coloured cotton rope they use to make boings and atoms and swings. That's why I use piping cord.

Haha thank you :D

Yes a hula hoop would be perfect to make them! and they would be perfectly circle as well!

Yes i have no idea where to get the cotton rope as well, lots of people in america have them in their bird rooms as bridges to connect stuff, but i dont know where to get it :20:

And we had fleece in the storage boxes so thought might as well use it! The fleece pattern is actually cats, dont tell Fargo ;)

Dad said i looked like an old cavewoman sitting with this hoop in between her legs, plaiting rope.. :rolleyes:

Might have to start making them and selling them on ebay..
I havent even seen any for sale in Australia?
Mum said if we buy this warmblood then i have to help pay it off :31: hahaha

Last edited:
OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Very nice and creative!
I love how Fargo uses it right away.
Looks like he just loves your new project....That's what matters most!
Great atom, one of the best I have seen that are self made.

Thank you very much! :D
Yes, Fargo is pretty brave about everything, he flies to it and hangs off it..:09:

EXCEPT the tree.. He just doesnt like his tree :31: He stood on it a few times today, but not really.. Hopefully when his toy order arrives and i put them all on there he should play with it!

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
wow looks great! i was going to make cooper's atom, but i ended up getting lazy and buying it instead :D and i know how you feel with making bird toys, mine dont look very good either.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
HAHAHA Gosh, just took the easy way out ;) Thats what i did with his net, much easier to buy than make!!

But no one sells atoms in Australia! I emailed the people in America to see how much it would cost to send one over, and they said shipping would be about 400 dollars :eek:

And i know right, some people just have this talent to have some wood and other bits and pieces, and the toy is like a masterpiece! :p

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Haha i looked around the corner of my bed and saw Fargo...

I think he likes it! :D

He is still playing on it now and preening himself! :09:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
GW, a good number of years ago, I found a source of the wire for small & large Atoms, for a friend, but just looked & they no longer have a website, though I think the small one was either 3/32" or 1/8" spring steel wire & the larger one was 3/16" spring steel wire.....

Because spring steel is much harder than normal wire, you will need a metal cutting cut-off blade for a Skill saw or similar, that wire will ruin wire cutters or cable cutters.....there used to be patterns & materials lists online for both the large & small Atoms.....the purpose of the spring steel was to prevent large birds from bending them up.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts