Do you believe in "starter" birds?

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I do! My other half is terrified of birds, and Maggie has been his "starter" bird. If it wasn't for her and the chicks, he'd probably never touch a bird in his life out of fear. I don't think a starter bird is a specific size or species though, any bird with a good temperament can be one. It's also imortant to make sure this bird is not forgotten once other birds are bought, it's a lifetime commitment!

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
My first bird was stolen. Acually my first 4 were. I recovered 2. (snow and capsper)
And will never let them out in an avairy again. Acually I traded my avairy for Sammy!!!
2500 for te avairy lol. So Sammy is extra special. Considering his price was 1200 and I traded a 2500 avairy for him. Anywho I wish I had mr cockatiel back and hope I find him still. That first bird means alot and to have him stolen is just discusting.
Casper is my first hand tame bird though as for snow is the first bird I hand fed.
I love those 2 so much and as for anybird I recover/purchase/adopt will have there forever home with me!!

parrotkid23

Aug 4, 2011
Northern Virginia, USA
Parrots
Apollo Cinnamon GCC
I know i am a little late but i so believe in starter birds i would recomend a green cheek conure which i get to bring mine home soon so excited or tiels and budigees but do your research. And no matter what size, shape, or form a bird will always love you. Also dont look at birds bigger then a sun conure because they require more experiance. When you do your research get a mind set of the bird like training, cage size, pros and cons which will be with any pet you will ever find, and noise level. Cause when you are a teenager and going off to college if you get a big bird that you always took care of up til you had to go to college when you go to college the bird would become sad because its favorite person is gone.

Hope you find a good bird for you and good luck.:D

Anna

Jul 24, 2011
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Shrek & Fiona the Indian Ringnecks, Chiku the Fischer's Lovebird Marley the Cockatiel, Dara and Bullrush the Eastern Rosellas.
I think it depends on the age of the parront. I got my first bird when I was 7 and there is no way I would have been able to handle a Too or a Macaw at that age. My little lovebird was perfect for me and she taught me alot. Toos can chew large branches off trees and there is no way I would let a young child start with that.

For an older person I think it depends on how much research and preparation you are ready to put in as to what bird you get first. Get the bird that best suits your circumstances.

Leahzebelle

Aug 7, 2011
Vancouver, WA.
Parrots
1 Goffins Cockatoo. 1 Green Cheek Conure. 3 Parakeets.
I agree with starter birds for sure. I started with one tiny little pastel parakeet named Maru. Then i moved up to a lovebird, (and got my parakeet a buddy). After that my boyfriend fell in love with a green cheek conure, one with a huge attitude and biting problem that taught me how to dominate a bird and deal with behavioral issues in a positive way. Now he loves me, never bites. It built my confidence, so i felt i was ready to the next step up, and i was finally able to satisfy my adoration of cockatoos. So i got my Goffin baby. (and adopted another parakeet who needed a home) I can't see moving up from my goffin. Having other birds really helped build my confidence, it also turned me into a great bird owner. Ive spent countless hours researching bird health in general. So i feel as if i can take on a cockatoo and provide what it needs.

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
What makes a parrot a good "starter" parrot? I would say that all the parrots listed as "starter" parrots share attributes that would make them great companion animals not only for parrot lovers, but for anyone. First, they are small and apartment friendly. Second, they are affordable. and do not require a large investment in a cage. Third, they do not make loud obnoxious noises. Fourth, if they do bite, thier bite will not send you to the hosipital or leave scares. Fifth, I would say all the parrots listed are at least as intelligent as a cat or dog and can develop deep emotional bonds with thier human companion. I think very few people would be disappointed if they got a "starter parrot" from a five star breeder. Saying a parrot is a great "starting parrot" is a bad way of saying the parrot under consideration is likely to be a great companion animal.
This is not to say that Cockatoos, McCaws, Amazons or African Greys cannot be great companion animals. They can, but only for the correct person. To keep these highly intelligent animals as pets requires a lifetime commitment of dedication, patience, and time most people are not willing to make. Proof of this fact is the large number of these parrots in rescues.
I would agree that a person should get the parrot they want. I would also agree that what are called "starter parrots" deserve alot better than being used as a stepping stone or a "practice parrot" for the future ownership of a McCaw, Cockatoo, or African Grey. Anyone who does not seriously consider a GCC, Budgie, Parakeet, Cockatiel, or Lovebird, not as a good starting parrot, but on thier merits as companion animals is doing themselves a great disservice.

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
Nic Nic..."World's Quietest" Eleonora Cockatoo
I was just discussing this very thing with another person on this forum just two days ago. He claimed to be looking for a Blue & Gold for his 14 year old son and i advised him against it.

Now, I may seem like a hypocrite, being my own first parrot is an Eleonora Cockatoo, but I also come from a background of being a zookeeper, Veterinary Technician and professional animal trainer for the past 24 years.

I am not trying to be a buzz kill for anyone by advising against a big, flashy bird like a B&G. I just feel that such a bird is asking too much of a novice bird caregiver.

I stumbled upon Nic Nic, I was actually looking for a smaller bird for my first parrot. Perhaps a Senegal, Patagonian or even a grey (even though they are considered a large parrot. I was lucky to find the bird I have, and love him madly, but I would STILL NOT advise someone to choose such a bird as their first.

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
But Tony, you are older than 14 (LOL, sorry, no offence) and have had experience, which you listed. This kid is 14 and had NEVER had any bird. His experience is ZEROexcept for some interaction with friends birds. I hope he sees sense and decides against it. Then again is he who he says he is? I noticed he hasnt been back here for a while.

Kiakime

Aug 10, 2011
I'm definitely no expert and this is just my personal opinion, but think people who get more-difficult breeds as a first bird should at least have somebody experienced close to them who can help out. My african grey was my first bird to really own myself and care for, and she was the most wonderful bird I could have ever wanted, but what helped a lot was having my mother (who'd owned an umbrella cockatoo for decades) available to give advice and recommendations (what size cage bars, toys, feeding, how to take Mischa down when she strafed up my shoulder, things like that) at the start.

While I disagree completely with the idea of "new bird owners can never have _____ breeds because it'll never work out", I think if somebody's young and doesn't have somebody experienced there to help them at LEAST at the start, they might want to go for a smaller species like cockatiel/parakeet/conure. Seems a lot less dangerous and confidence-killing to accidentally mishandle one of those and get a bite, versus a good chomp from a grey or macaw.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts