He Hates Towels!

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
Any ideas why?4 He really like plain ol' paper towel but as far and fabric towels go, he really dislikes them. I use them to drap over my shoulder so that I don't have to change every tiime he poops on me but he will walk over to the next shoulder that has no towel. Today I tried to put a large towel across my back and on both shoulders and he then proceeded to go down my arm and onto the computer desk. I don't know if he is afraid of them or just dislikes the feeling on his feet.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lmao he prob feels a little un stable on them or like you said does not like feel

but nuts funny, if i put anything on my shoulders she wont come onto them?? unless its clothing?? lol

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Well thing is that he'll sit there and chew on the paper napkin and has even slipped off but won't go near a towel. Weirdos... Lol! He is currently on the computer desk playing with my camera's string holder thing because I still have the towel draped over my shoulders.

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
My bird hates the colour Purple! Anything purple and he freaks the *@&# out!

Really? I wonder if he would react the same with a purple bird, lol!

I also thought it could be the color since i'm always wearing black and dark colors, the towel was white. I switched it over to a burgandy color and he still avoided it. Lol!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
He probably has been "towelled" lately to restrain him. I have been towelling Merlin lately to medicate, he won't go near a dishtowel.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
You can potty train your green cheek to go on command. That way you can have him go potty before he perches on your shoulder = )

Funny that Apple hates towels, though. Our little guy seems to love them. He'll often climb up and down our shower towels, hang upside down, and play hide and seek, lol.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
What I do for "shoulder protection" is I have a couple button-down denim type shirts that are designated "poop shirts". My hubby and I put one on over whatever we're wearing so the poop goes on them, they you can just throw it in the wash once its a bit dirty.

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
He probably has been "towelled" lately to restrain him. I have been towelling Merlin lately to medicate, he won't go near a dishtowel.

That makes sense.

You can potty train your green cheek to go on command. That way you can have him go potty before he perches on your shoulder = )

Funny that Apple hates towels, though. Our little guy seems to love them. He'll often climb up and down our shower towels, hang upside down, and play hide and seek, lol.

I read that I can say "potty" whenever he poops, he'd soon catch on and know what the word means. Then I could say the same word so that he poops on command. I think I might try that. He poops A LOT! Every few minutes he'll poop whether it's just water or solid...

That is just adorable, I hope he slowly starts to feel even more comfortable and lets his playful personality out. Right now he LOVES to steal food from whatever i'm eating. Now I have to put him on his cage while I eat. He stole a corn flake from me this morning while I was eating breakfast. Lol!

What I do for "shoulder protection" is I have a couple button-down denim type shirts that are designated "poop shirts". My hubby and I put one on over whatever we're wearing so the poop goes on them, they you can just throw it in the wash once its a bit dirty.

I actually don't use anything since he dislikes the towels but that sounds like a good idea. Bad thing is that we only do laundry every so often because we have to go to a laundry place. I could hand wash though... I'll find a few poopy shirts. :) Thank you.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots

That makes sense.

I read that I can say "potty" whenever he poops, he'd soon catch on and know what the word means. Then I could say the same word so that he poops on command. I think I might try that. He poops A LOT! Every few minutes he'll poop whether it's just water or solid...

That is just adorable, I hope he slowly starts to feel even more comfortable and lets his playful personality out. Right now he LOVES to steal food from whatever i'm eating. Now I have to put him on his cage while I eat. He stole a corn flake from me this morning while I was eating breakfast. Lol!

I actually don't use anything since he dislikes the towels but that sounds like a good idea. Bad thing is that we only do laundry every so often because we have to go to a laundry place. I could hand wash though... I'll find a few poopy shirts. :) Thank you.

Precisely, that is what you'd do. It also helps to pick a specific place for consistency. For example, I grab a paper towel and place it on a desk, then I place Guavo on it. When he's abut to poop (you'll eventually know by his body language), I say "Go potty, Guavo." Then I praise him once he poops. Now he'll go as soon as I place him on a paper towel. Keep in mind, that you'll have to do this consistently if you want him to learn. Small birds potty every 20 minutes or so, so you'll have to interrupt your play-time with him to take him potty.

Guavo has actually learned that he does not potty on people, so when he has to go he'll climb down from your shoulder/hand, etc and make his way out to the nearest flat surface. If I fail to pick up on his body language and take him to his potty place, he'll potty in a nearby location (but 90% of the time not on me or my girlfriend). It's pretty incredible!

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
I have a "poop shirt" too. haha

I put it on to play with Pi while a friend was here and she was like, OMG THAT'S SO GROSS! YOU LET HER POOP ON YOU?!

*sigh*

At least now I know I'm not the only one who does that.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
oh look for some nylon type fabric as protectors! fab, rinse shake an its near dry! i use a suit cover type bag to cover areas where nut perches, or a shower curtain lol

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
Precisely, that is what you'd do. It also helps to pick a specific place for consistency. For example, I grab a paper towel and place it on a desk, then I place Guavo on it. When he's abut to poop (you'll eventually know by his body language), I say "Go potty, Guavo." Then I praise him once he poops. Now he'll go as soon as I place him on a paper towel. Keep in mind, that you'll have to do this consistently if you want him to learn. Small birds potty every 20 minutes or so, so you'll have to interrupt your play-time with him to take him potty.

Guavo has actually learned that he does not potty on people, so when he has to go he'll climb down from your shoulder/hand, etc and make his way out to the nearest flat surface. If I fail to pick up on his body language and take him to his potty place, he'll potty in a nearby location (but 90% of the time not on me or my girlfriend). It's pretty incredible!

Wow, that is very impressive. I will definately get working on that...

What I have noticed is that when he does poop he'll move to the edge of where ever he is whether it's my shoulder or hand then poop but if he's on a table, he'll just poop there, lol! Since my shoulders aren't flat he gets me all the time.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
What about when you go out in public?:11: Hmmm...

Unfortunately, he has not yet learned to wear his harness :rolleyes: But, that might be a problem, lol.

PS: Look up "Potty training parrot" on youtube. There are various informative videos on how to potty train your parrot = ) Good luck!

OP
PrettyInInk87

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
What about when you go out in public?:11: Hmmm...

Unfortunately, he has not yet learned to wear his harness :rolleyes: But, that might be a problem, lol.

PS: Look up "Potty training parrot" on youtube. There are various informative videos on how to potty train your parrot = ) Good luck!

My little guy has his wings clipped so I can walk around with him outside...

I'll check them out right now! :D Thank you!

Look what I found, lol!
Clothing Poop Protector - Hangall Hand Crafted Shoulder Apron Cape for Parrot Owners - 1X

I knew there had to be something like this out there. :)

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Lucy loves towels and anything she can hide under, especially pillows! I put a towel on the floor and play with lucy on it. I lay on the towel with her so she sees it's not deadly. We turn it into a game too (where's lucy! with food) so that helps a bunch I think

Also: Lucy is afraid of large Orange objects. but her favorite peppers are the orange bells and her favorite foot toy is neon orange lol

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
That is the way the mobile bird grooming folks restrain my Senegal is with a towel when grooming her. She doesn't even like playing peek a boo with a towel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts