Does she look happy or stressed?

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
a beautiful umbrella cockatoo
Well I managed to snag a few pics of Sarah during bath time (in her travel cage otherwise there would be no way to get her all the way to the bathroom without major stress or injuries (both human and bird injuries) )

so could any people just kinda interpret what they think she is. My family thinks bath time is stressful for her, as she hates spray bottes and does not like being wet. Although in the shower in a travel cage she is uncomfortable at first, the goes to a corner and holds on while I put some water over back out of the shower head.

I do this once a week, but if you all think she enjoys it I may try to do it more often.

See pics attached please. All thoughts ( expert or not) are appreciated.

Attachments

• lalala.jpg
    lalala.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 286
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 226

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Looks alot like my bird he sit against the wall eyes closed and I swear he's saying "Make it stop." but then he goes to the perch and flufs and preens. You might try taking her in there when it's not bath time and letting her climb out of her travel cage and explore the room.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
If she doesn't flap her wing and vocalise, she's probably stressed...

OP
Sarahtheumbrella

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
Alright thanks guys.

I have tried to let her out, but she is pretty smart so if she sees she is in the bathroom she thinks automatically they are going to put me in the shower. So the only time we let her out she refused to step up on anyone hands and sat up there for about an hour. We had to try all kinds of toys and making noises and stuff to finally get her in. It was not like she was enjoying it eeither. She kept on backing up into the far side of her cage.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
I think it looks like she's tolerating it but doesn't really like it. Ariel is like that with bathroom showers. Once in a long while she will really get into it, but usually she just sits there and waits for it to be over. Since my bird isn't particularly stressed, I give her a bath anyway about weekly. If she's acting upset about it or being difficult then she might only spend about 30 seconds in there to get the worst of the dust off her. Normally I give Ariel spray baths with the mister. I give her a quick spritz and then go on to another bird to give her time to decide if she wants more. Then when I go back to her, she will often spread her wings and really enjoy the spray. If she doesn't, then I just leave it to a quick spritz.

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
I take Mj in the shower with me. She has a perch and her own spray head. She'll walk under the water, the walk out from under it. She leans over and tries to drink all she can then steps under again. She does not flap. But if she did not like it she would not walk under the sprayer.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
I can't say I have this problem jinx seems to like the spray bottle so i think I'll invest in a shower perch not next week the week after and good luck with Sarah I'm sure at some point she will grow to love the shower. :)

com520

Sep 1, 2012
Houston, Tx
Parrots
Sun Conure
This is what i did to my bird to get to know where the shower is and not get anxious. Every time i brush my teeth i take him with me, i put a towel on the shower rod. I dont know if thats right, then i put him on that rod with a towel so he can hold on to it. I brush my teeth, then i show him my brush, sometimes he tries to bite it. sometimes the sun conure flys to my shoulder i let him stay there until he tries to taste the toothpaste. WHich i don't let him. THen i turn on the shower. then turn it off. So when i go take him to take a shower i do the same thing but i turn on the shower so he can listen to the water, then he starts sponging, like i guess its time for me to take a shower. then i put him on my hand and user warm water and get it to a colder level so when i take him out he doesn't freak out, cause it's 75-77 degrees inside my house. WHen he's on my hand he just stand in there when he's eyes close. Which it means it's relaxing !!! take this in consideration...!! HE"S RELAXING WITH NOWHERE TO GO, JUST PUT HIM ON YOUR HAND AND IT WILL DO THE SAME THING!!!!! RELAXX

Last edited:

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My U2 loves his showers, admittedly it's with a hose, but he will follow me around the yard till he gets his shower! Our Sassy goffins, hates being sprayed with water bottle and will not tolerate being anywhere near a tub. She lets me know when she is ready for a bath when she starts trying to swim in her water bowl! That's when I put a large bowl of water in her cage and watch her go to town!! This doesn't happen but every few weeks so I do spray Sassy down at least once a week with a water bottle. She eventually forgives me.

OP
Sarahtheumbrella

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
Thanks for all your sugesstions! Yeah, well I guess we will have to continue our travel cage showers.
OTher methods I have tried:
1. Sparay bottle: She will run all over her cage when inside hurting herself and if the water gets her she makes this scream we only hear when she is hurt. When outside her cage she will try and run and when she feels like there is no place to run she will leap of the cage.
2. In sink. Refuses to get in sink and holds onto my dad real tight prenting him from putting her down. I really dont want to push this beacause it is the only place next to the sofa she is comfortabel going. I do not need any bad memories to interfere with this.
3. Shower...you know what happens.

Now my question is birdie bathtubs. YOu know that giant tub and the birds bathe in it. I have tried smaller versions of it, and Sarah sticks her cute little feet in it and then drinks it then knocks it over. It it gets her wet she will run back up to her cage. If it makes her feet wet she will take the contanier into her cage and have a chew at it. What makes a good bird bathtub??

OP
Sarahtheumbrella

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
she could not run off with this, but what is the possibility of the glass breaking or it titling sideways onto her?

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
she could not run off with this, but what is the possibility of the glass breaking or it titling sideways onto her?

Ok, I wasn't thinking in terms of your bird chewing on it and knowing a U2 beak, the way I do, they could definitely break glass but have never seen it happen. If you have it deep enough with water, I doubt she could tip it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts