Dogs and Training

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
We have two dogs, both rescues. One is a 6 year old Yorkie we have had from 8 weeks of age and has OFFICIALLY flunked obedience school (AIRHEAD!) The other is a 6 year old CHORKIE (Chihuahua/Yorkie cross) with absolutely NO training. (I can't even get him to sit!)

Saturday we had guests and decided to bring the dogs outside, Paco (the Chorkie) we gambled and took him off the leash. He bounced from lap to lap and when he got down never wanted to go anywhere. Missy, we just kept her on the leash.

Sunday, after an afternoon walk, I unhooked Paco and he went home (as he usually does) I unhooked Missy on the porch to let her into the house (basically because it is difficult letting her into the house and getting her to come back to unhook her). She procedded to, as out Austrailian friends would say, go walkabout! It took me 30 o 40 minutes chasing her around the neighbors yards till I finally caught up with her. :32:

Needless to say, some dogs get it and some just don't!

Note to self ... keep the Yorkie tethered!)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hey now, it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

...and NEVER chase after a runner, unless you know you can actually catch him. :D

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Hey now, it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

...and NEVER chase after a runner, unless you know you can actually catch him. :D

You don't know me ... I'm no chaser! :eek: I'm barely a follower.
Twice during our foray into the wilderness I tried convincing her to run "the other way" with me. It almost worked. But, I couldn't just let her run without at least following her. We're in coyote and hawk country and she could feed a family of four birds or half a coyote :confused: for ... 20 or 30 minutes! :eek:

Luckily she zagged when she could have zigged. To the "zig" is 4 or 5 acres of horse pasture. Wide open with lots of distractions and not many obstacles.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Sometimes when we are chasing and finally just stop and go on another direction, it stops being fun for the dog. In many cases they are like "hey! Wait up!" lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You don't know me ... I'm no chaser! :eek: I'm barely a follower.
Twice during our foray into the wilderness I tried convincing her to run "the other way" with me. It almost worked. But, I couldn't just let her run without at least following her. We're in coyote and hawk country and she could feed a family of four birds or half a coyote :confused: for ... 20 or 30 minutes! :eek:

Luckily she zagged when she could have zigged. To the "zig" is 4 or 5 acres of horse pasture. Wide open with lots of distractions and not many obstacles.

Now that's hilarious!!!

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Sometimes when we are chasing and finally just stop and go on another direction, it stops being fun for the dog. In many cases they are like "hey! Wait up!" lol

Have you seen the animated movie "Up"? Where the dog has a collar that allows him to speak. Halfway through a sentence his brain yells "Squirrel!" and he's off in another direction. That's Missy in a nut shell (more like nutcase sheel).

She usually comes running to the words "eat" and "treat". Not yesterday.
I tried yelling "come on, Missy" and turned the other way. She started running to me. I think she saw a leave move and "SQUIRREL" she was gone!

I don't think she's run that far ... ever! Which is why I was able to intercept her, pick her up, tell her she's such a good girl and snap a leash on her. I was breathing heavier than a "1 900" caller on payday! :22:

Forbey

Most Reactions

Latest posts