Don't try this, putting bird in snow

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You got very lucky!!!

Keep this up, and you are going to accidentally kill your bird...

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
Kiwi took the words out of my mouth! A heartwarming video of your amazon tentatively exploring a tray of snow inside a warm home - maybe even with some treats and toys hidden inside - would have been the responsible option here. Instead, you brought your (flighted? honestly does it even matter?) unharnessed, uncontained bird into a situation you knew would scare her and dunked her onto the ground. You are lucky you still have your parrot. Please respect her enough to start making decisions that are safe and healthy for her. I want to add two quotes from a previous thread of yours I find deeply disturbing. I hope you reread them and see that your attitude is not one of a caring owner. Emphasis added by me.

"I'm an adrenalin junkie myself and I do many things that put me in harms way. I wouldn't restrict myself because I may get hurt and die, I won't do it to my bird."

Except you can make that call and only endanger yourself. Your bird obviously cannot decide for herself that anything about her captive situation is potentially deadly. She's wired to make decisions for her survival in the amazon, not in your home. She relies on you to keep her safe - she is not deciding to partake in stressful situations because it's thrilling for her. By your logic, we parrot owners should provide chocolate and avocados, let the cats go wild and leave the ceiling fan on..our parrots will decide whether they want to take risks or not. Why even use cages? Anyone see a problem?

"But I'll say this as my opinion, if you prevent your amazon from doing something that is so important to their nature and the drive to nest is so high and you prevent them from doing this you're the cruel person. Amazon females need to be allowed to nest and should be allowed to do it."

Yes, I am a cruel person. I provide my hen with attention whenever she wants it, a healthy diet, baths and cuddles and more toys than she knows what to do with. I keep her cage clean and ensure her safety always. I am the cruel person because I do not give her a nest box. Why don't I give her a nest box? Because I think egg-binding is risky and giving her a nest box may encourage her to lay infertile eggs. Beyond that, nest boxes encourage hormonal behavior and since I am not a male parrot and cannot satisfy her mating desires, this is incredibly frustrating for her. I am a cruel person because I prevent discomfort and a potential health problem. By this logic, if my husky sees a squirrel on the other side of the highway - her prey drive is, after all, extremely high - I should unclip her and disregard traffic. Anyone see a problem?

I will walk away now before less friendly things are typed.

Most Reactions