Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My dream birds are an green cheek pineapple and a yellow sided turquoise.
Unfortunately the yellow sided turquoise isn't breeded in my country,so will stay a dream bird till they do.

YES!! I LOVE the YS Turquoise mutation! Also Turquoise Cinnamon and Turquoise pineapple. They do breed these in the US. I don't think they're rare, they're just not very popular. GORGEOUS if you get an individual with a good blue shade. These color mutations you have to get from a breeder, not big chain pet stores where the majority of people in US get GCC.

What country are you in? I see your Rose Crowned relative of GCC. They're rare here and usually not as pets.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I live in the netherlands,the rose crowned is rare here also.
He was as kind of a rare find,which i found out later.
But he is very sweet preens me every day:rolleyes:
Also green cheeks are not sold in pet stores here only budgies and the other really small ones ,the green cheek is not popular here yet.
It's even hard to get an pineapple here,only the original green cheek and the yellow sided are mostly available here.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Isn't the Netherlands known for aviculture? From what I've seen on the internet and read, it seems there are more species in captivity and available as pets in the Netherlands than just about anywhere else!

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I honesty don't thinks so.
Most species are easy to get trough breeders but they are mostly the originals not mutations.
And aside from one huge pet store that sells parrot toys,there is no other one so they can set there price high.
They do have a lot of rescues that are treated really well there,they even have their own waterfall and no cages.
They even fake rain there,and have their own avian.
Parrots are also seen here mostly as decoration,and there are only 3 real avian doctors here so far i know.
But then again i don't know how the availability is in other country's.

Last edited:
OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I don't see a dream bird (dream species is a better way to put it!) the same as a status animal. Its just that one species that drew you in when you look at them!

Like in the horse world my dream breed was a gypsy king! I didn't want a quarter horse because they seemed too calm and plain. Then I went to meet my quarter horse Chip and he followed me around the pasture the first day and that was that! He was also a rotten baby who regularly tried to spin me off and gallop off with me to wherever he wanted to go. He was only 3 when I met him and will be 15 in April. So he is definitely my dream horse even though my dream breed is still a gypsy!

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
I don't see a dream bird (dream species is a better way to put it!) the same as a status animal. Its just that one species that drew you in when you look at them!

Like in the horse world my dream breed was a gypsy king! I didn't want a quarter horse because they seemed too calm and plain. Then I went to meet my quarter horse Chip and he followed me around the pasture the first day and that was that! He was also a rotten baby who regularly tried to spin me off and gallop off with me to wherever he wanted to go. He was only 3 when I met him and will be 15 in April. So he is definitely my dream horse even though my dream breed is still a gypsy!

I know what you mean when i was young i got my own horse i was 10.
He was treated very badly and from the slightest movement he would be in a frenzy.
I broke my arms a lot, a leg disease got to him unfortunately.
He was everything to me then,i even conquered my allergy to horses for him.
They moved him up in the farm he was kept because he kept breaking out when he heard us and freaked the other horses and people out.
He was really sweet,i miss him a lot.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Yep. A blue and gold macaw is my dream bird, but I know that wouldn't work. I don't have the space for a macaw and wouldn't get one unless I had a backyard with an outdoor aviary (not to mention warmer weather than we've got in virginia right now).

A golden conure is my other dream bird. Absolutely beautiful birds, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much for one.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Yep. A blue and gold macaw is my dream bird, but I know that wouldn't work. I don't have the space for a macaw and wouldn't get one unless I had a backyard with an outdoor aviary (not to mention warmer weather than we've got in virginia right now).

A golden conure is my other dream bird. Absolutely beautiful birds, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much for one.

I also think the backyard with an aviary, or at least large backyard (as well as large house) is the most ideal for the large birds. I recently heard a B&G scream loud close to me, and I swear it blew my hair back :11: Wow! It was too much.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I have always LOVED horned parakeets, but they're just not available in Australia, like so many other gorgeous birds.

Perhaps it's for the best, since their wild population is under threat, the last thing I'd want is to support the illegal pet trade.

It's kinda interesting, but even after working with so many amazing, rare, priceless species, the birds I've enjoyed working with the most have always been the black cockatoos! Common as mud but with a personality and charm that just can't be beaten :)

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I have always LOVED horned parakeets, but they're just not available in Australia, like so many other gorgeous birds.

Perhaps it's for the best, since their wild population is under threat, the last thing I'd want is to support the illegal pet trade.

It's kinda interesting, but even after working with so many amazing, rare, priceless species, the birds I've enjoyed working with the most have always been the black cockatoos! Common as mud but with a personality and charm that just can't be beaten :)
Ooh! The horned parakeets look so exotic in pics. Not sure if they are in the US captive population at all either. Definitely not as pets!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Golden Conures are permit only birds, I think. (Not that they enforce that, but...) A friend of mine has a breeding pair. They are interesting birds, and beautiful, but I still prefer big macs, personality wise.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
My local shop had two golden conure chicks about a month back. I didn't meet the person who bought the first one, but the second one picked out his/her "victim" and that lady was stuck. It jumped on her shoulder and started kissing her. The lady's husband rolled his eyes and started negotiating a bird with cage deal with the shop owner. I thought it was pretty funny. Got to talking to the lady and she said they had a grey at home that sounded pretty spoiled. I was happy for her.

My own personal dream bird is a hy, assuming I had a large income and a boatload of time. When I got Sammie I wasn't looking at pois, but it turns out they are perfect for me and my lifestyle.

Last edited:

Sunnylovebirds

Feb 11, 2014
I was actually researching about parakeets for a while and went into the aviary to look at them. I walked in and found a sudden interest in lovebirds. parakeets were soon forgotten... well folks, that's how I got my 6 week old lovebird!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I've never had a Lovebird, but I think they're absolutely adorable little parrots. Such pretty color mutations too. Pictures??

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My four favorite macaws are Hys, Greenwings, Red Fronts, and Blue Throats.

A friend of mine bred Hys, so I got to play with them a lot.

Another friend of mine owns a BTM. So I get to birdsit, and play with him.

The other two I have...

Actually adding another macaw to my flock?! That would, most likely, cause big time jealous bird issues, and there wouldn't be enough hours in the day...

And the reason I know this is because I have bird sat a few other big macs.
(I had to hold all four at once, or someone felt left out, and would set off the other three!) With just two, I have well behaved birds, and quiet...

One more upsets the apple cart!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Golden Conures are permit only birds, I think. (Not that they enforce that, but...) A friend of mine has a breeding pair. They are interesting birds, and beautiful, but I still prefer big macs, personality wise.

You do need a permit to own one. I wonder how difficult it is to obtain one? Anyone know?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

You do need a permit to own one. I wonder how difficult it is to obtain one? Anyone know?

Technically they are only supposed to go to breeders, for propagation of the species purposes...

However, that is not what is actually happening. They are expensive, and money talks.

In fact, I was shocked to see some famous woman country singer posing with her pet store purchased Golden Conure on the cover of some gossip rag about a year or two ago...

Making rules that no one enforces is the same as having no rules at all.

A few years back, I know someone from my days in rescue that was involved in a rich (and deceased) Florida rescue/rehome from a multi-million dollar estate. The rich guy was a parrot collector and had an extensive aviary. The relatives didn't know what to do with the birds, so they called someone and asked them to take them all... "just get them out of here." (Not knowing what kinds of birds they were, or how rare they were. They just knew they didn't have the knowledge or desire to keep them.)

Turns out several of these birds were technically extinct and allegedly no longer existed on the face of this planet. [He had his own private captive breeding program going on.]

Twenty or so years from now, a relatively famous aviculturist is going to come forward with a "recently discovered" colony of parrots previously thought extinct... that still exist in numbers greater than expected. And that is all I will ever say on that. I don't know how this guy got these things, but he apparently knew what he was doing, and knew what birds to get!

I know I was excited when I heard what they had found! I would not be excited if the Feds caught me with them... A pet here and there, yeah, but a breeding colony? Methinks that one might involve a hefty fine...

I know they tried to get the zoos involved, but they couldn't have anything to do with smuggled, illegal, and technically extinct birds...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Technically they are only supposed to go to breeders, for propagation of the species purposes...

However, that is not what is actually happening. They are expensive, and money talks.

In fact, I was shocked to see some famous woman country singer posing with her pet store purchased Golden Conure on the cover of some gossip rag about a year or two ago...

Making rules that no one enforces is the same as having no rules at all.

A few years back, I know someone from my days in rescue that was involved in a rich (and deceased) Florida rescue/rehome from a multi-million dollar estate. The rich guy was a parrot collector and had an extensive aviary. The relatives didn't know what to do with the birds, so they called someone and asked them to take them all... "just get them out of here." (Not knowing what kinds of birds they were, or how rare they were. They just knew they didn't have the knowledge or desire to keep them.)

Turns out several of these birds were technically extinct and allegedly no longer existed on the face of this planet. [He had his own private captive breeding program going on.]

Twenty or so years from now, a relatively famous aviculturist is going to come forward with a "recently discovered" colony of parrots previously thought extinct... that still exist in numbers greater than expected. And that is all I will ever say on that. I don't know how this guy got these things, but he apparently knew what he was doing, and knew what birds to get!

I know I was excited when I heard what they had found! I would not be excited if the Feds caught me with them... A pet here and there, yeah, but a breeding colony? Methinks that one might involve a hefty fine...

I know they tried to get the zoos involved, but they couldn't have anything to do with smuggled, illegal, and technically extinct birds...

The owner of our local bird stores out here breeds Golden Conures. So, they are not rare in his bird stores. Every year seasonally, he has a whole bunch. He sells them for around $3,000 retail.

Ok I won't ask WHAT kind of birds they were that the guy had... I'm drooling to know though. I really hope that every one of them fell into the right hands!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

The owner of our local bird stores out here breeds Golden Conures. So, they are not rare in his bird stores. Every year seasonally, he has a whole bunch. He sells them for around $3,000 retail.

Ok I won't ask WHAT kind of birds they were that the guy had... I'm drooling to know though. I really hope that every one of them fell into the right hands!!

That's roughly what they sell for here.

One balls-ey relatively famous american breeder took all, and is taking over the private conservation efforts this guy started.

There were things in that collection, I hadn't ever heard of, and a few I had heard of that I didn't think existed in this country... I wish I could have gone on that call, but I couldn't get away from work. I would have done it just to have seen some of these guys.

There were some Carribean Amazons that I'd only heard of... (one in particular that you are not supposed to have.) And let's just say there are quite a few more Spix macaws in this country than anyone realizes... Certainly more than there are in Brazil anyway!

So, it's reassuring to know they still exist.

Among others...

I tried to place some in legit breeding colonies, but they were having none of it. Zoos and such wanted no part of it. They can't touch smuggled birds, even rescued ones, with a ten foot pole... for fear of the Feds getting involved.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
There were things in that collection, I hadn't ever heard of, and a few I had heard of that I didn't think existed in this country... I wish I could have gone on that call, but I couldn't get away from work. I would have done it just to have seen some of these guys.
There were some Carribean Amazons that I'd only heard of... (one in particular that you are not supposed to have.) And let's just say there are quite a few more Spix macaws in this country than anyone realizes... Certainly more than there are in Brazil anyway!

Ooh *drool*... That sounds exciting.
I did see on you tube someone's collection of Spix's and there were actually a lot of them. Don't remember where.

At one time I had a Cuban Amazon female. Though she was past puberty, she was so sweet.. I miss her. Not typical Amazon at all. I never had a permit, but heard I'd only needed one for moving interstate?

Most Reactions

Latest posts