Dream Bird or Not

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
If by permit you mean a CITES certificate, then you don't need one to own the bird, you just can't buy, sell, trade or breed it. But unless there are local restrictions in place, it's perfectly legal to own and travel with the bird, without a certificate. You can also gift the bird to someone, or accept the bird from someone, as long as there is no trade of any kind involved; not even if you're just "paying for the cage", so to speak. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This is from one of the local breeders sites:

"A Federal permit is required to keep and breed Golden Conures aka Queen of Bavaria conures. These rare birds are not offered as pets but we do interact with other breeders of this species, who hold the appropriate permit, to add or exchange unrelated offspring to maintain pure genetic bloodlines."

So, they are not supposed to be going to the pet trade at this time.

However, as I said, if you make a rule and no one enforces it...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
They need the US Fish and Wildlife permit for interstate movement only. They're on CITES appendix 1 - threatened with extinction. Still available as pets nonetheless. I found "Terry" at a bird store as an already young adult ( on sale lol).

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
This is from one of the local breeders sites:

"A Federal permit is required to keep and breed Golden Conures aka Queen of Bavaria conures. These rare birds are not offered as pets but we do interact with other breeders of this species, who hold the appropriate permit, to add or exchange unrelated offspring to maintain pure genetic bloodlines."

So, they are not supposed to be going to the pet trade at this time.

However, as I said, if you make a rule and no one enforces it...

Ah, that's a different permit, then, for the US. :) Though I'm guessing you would be able to get that permit regardless of if you've got a CITES certificate? Not that it matters, if they're not kept as pets, as without the CITES you can't breed them anyway.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Ooh *drool*... That sounds exciting.
I did see on you tube someone's collection of Spix's and there were actually a lot of them. Don't remember where.

At one time I had a Cuban Amazon female. Though she was past puberty, she was so sweet.. I miss her. Not typical Amazon at all. I never had a permit, but heard I'd only needed one for moving interstate?

Quitar, which officially has the largest collection of Spix macaws. Although unofficially...

I've never played with a Cuban Amazon. They had Cuban's and St. Vincents. But they also had a flock of PR Amazons, which are critically endangered...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They need the US Fish and Wildlife permit for interstate movement only. They're on CITES appendix 1 - threatened with extinction. Still available as pets nonetheless. I found "Terry" at a bird store as an already young adult ( on sale lol).

Technically, I believe they are not supposed to be sold, or kept, without a Federal Permit, and are subject to confiscation if they are.

BUT reality says that isn't enforced and isn't going to happen. Hell, some singer had one on the cover of a magazine... so, if that doesn't trigger enforcement what will?!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
St. Vincent's??!! Really? That was one I didn't think we're in the US at all! Wow..

Is PR Amazon Puerto Rican? Pics look like Tucuman. Remember how 20 yrs ago Tucuman's were not rare like they are now? Someone (it's escaping me who right now) on this forum had one at one time it says on list of 'birds you have'.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. Puerto Ricans...

I was surprised too, at not just what he had, but the numbers he had, in a back yard operation in Florida. No one knows how this person managed to get them, or get them into the country. I can't remember exactly how many birds were recovered, but it numbered in the hundreds... and it took several busloads to remove them all to their present location.

There were probably more spix macaws in this guys back yard than anyone knew existed!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
With all this buying a selling talk it rended me of John Cusack in Say Anything...
Lloyd Dobler: "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Quitar, which officially has the largest collection of Spix macaws. Although unofficially...

I've never played with a Cuban Amazon. They had Cuban's and St. Vincents. But they also had a flock of PR Amazons, which are critically endangered...

Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation in Qatar has a good number of mature Spix's, with seven more born just last year, some via AI. The problem with Spix's is they are notoriously hard to breed, due to years of inbreeding. So whilst there are some private breeders worldwide who do own Spix's, many are realising that they won't be able to continue breeding without introducing some new genetics :)

There are actually a lot of private breeders with illegal birds, mainly in Europe, the Philippines and America. Thankfully, at least in the case of the Spix's macaw, St. Lucia amazon and St Vincent amazon, people are willing to donate their birds to the breeding programs currently run by Al Wabra, Loro parque and the ACTP :)

Most Reactions