Driftwood perch

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet (Kiwi) and a Pineapple Conure (Widget)
I collected a bunch of interesting looking driftwood a few months back, and I finally got around to making something for Widget yesterday. It's a work in progress, and he's terrified of it (of course :rolleyes:). Eventually I would like to hang it, but I'm not going to worry about it right now since we're moving in a few weeks anyway. I think it's turning out okay! I wish I could have found brown vetwrap, and I guess I could get more and rewrap it in the future, but for now the blue was all they had. I'd really like to eventually make one of those huge sisal-wrapped atoms, I think they look so awesome!

530241_4402659875261_69937630_n.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• perch.jpg
    perch.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 422
OP
Kiwidget

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Okay, got a picture from a different angle... I put some millet up there, so Widget is much more willing to spend time on it. lol

394636_4402753437600_994270144_n.jpg

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
I absolutely love it! My flock would probably ignore it (our bodies make much better playstands than anything wood....)

I am thinking of trying this with some dogwood branches that have died back on our tree......

OP
Kiwidget

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
I absolutely love it! My flock would probably ignore it (our bodies make much better playstands than anything wood....)

I am thinking of trying this with some dogwood branches that have died back on our tree......

Widget isn't exactly in love with it just yet, lol... then again, I just put it up today, so maybe it will take him a little while to get used to it. Apparently our birds share the opinion that bodies are the best play gyms, because the main reason I made that perch was to get him to leave me alone for at least five minutes! He's such a little parasite! But I guess I kinda love him. ;)

I'm done buying dowels, period. Anything I need a dowel for, a stick will work just as well, AND it looks more organic. Not to mention, it's free. I actually just plucked a dead branch off of one of our trees to make this:

CPTT...lotsa knots

OP
Kiwidget

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Thanks everyone!

My dog, Mango, waiting for Widget to drop food on the floor. He's warming up to it!

423471_4403474855635_881131077_n.jpg

(sorry, I'm kind of picture crazy!)

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
watching Terminator? with a xbox w/kinect...and birds....AWESOME! haha

I hope you properly sanitized those driftwood pieces. You wouldnt believe what kind of insects and stuff can live in and on them.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I am so going to make that bridge thing from the link you posted!!

Your play gym looks amazing! I'm better at making toys and perches than play gyms. If you lived closer I'd pay you to make one for us! Widget should warm up to it. Great job!

Most Reactions