Ducorps? Eclectus? Advice please!

Nari

Sep 30, 2010
Hi, I just joined in hopes of getting some advice about what kind of bird we should get, if any at all. I know that each bird will have his/her own personality, but any species-specific advice at all would be appreciated! :D

At first I had my heart set on an Eclectus- I did do my research, and a few years ago I even went and put a downpayment on a little SI girl. However, the breeder didn't have any girls at the time and then she got sick and... well, long story, but I never got the baby or my deposit back. I was pretty disheartened and gave up looking for a while.

Now I'm considering again :). The main thing is, I want to be sure that whichever bird I get, I can make sure that it is happy.

I went to a small breeder to look at Red-sided Eclectus last week, and met a Ducorps cockatoo for the first time, too, as well as a Congo Grey. The baby Grey and the Ducorps were very sweet and outgoing- it was so cute how the Grey would seek scratches from anyone who would walk by, and the Ducorps seemed to love everyone as well, happily going from one person to another. The Eclectus were a little more shy with us as expected.

Our living situation is that my boyfriend and I own a small architectural design company, and ideally the bird would come to the office with us in the daytime. The plus side is that he/she would very rarely be left alone, and would always have people around. But we do not have a very steady schedule, so I am afraid that this is the main issue. Sometimes we go home at 5 pm, other times we work until 10 pm. Our office is relatively quiet (in terms of people- just a few employees and clients) and ideally, our parrot could keep screaming to a minimum. I am aware that all birds can be noisy, and moderate noise is fine. Just hoping to avoid ear-piercing, constant shrieks for the sanity of our staff.

I am also hoping to get a bird that isn't a "one-person bird", since my boyfriend and I will both be caring for him/her. I would be the primary caretaker, but since I am not in my home country now, I do need a bird who will not fall apart when I go home to renew visa/visit parents/etc. for about two or three weeks every year.

Basically, I guess I would like an intelligent, mellow bird who can be reasonably tolerant of change and go with the flow (i.e. not be prone to attack staff and clients, haha... yes, I know this is more a training issue than species). I am told a Grey is not a good idea. Dietary needs and cost are not an issue. Though far from wealthy, we have considered what it would take in material terms to raise a happy baby. I'm only concerned if we might be a good fit.

Thank you for reading, any advice at all would be appreciated! I'm going to try to cross-post in the Eclectus and Cockatoo forums. :white1:

Last edited:

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
well eclectus have a very complex diet so will your boy friend be able to meet the dietary needs while your away? also cockatoos are very emotionaly nedy and complex so they might not do so well while your away. they both are great birds though! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Any of them can be trained to do what you need them do. It is really up to you on how you train. In my household my ekkies are the quietest. But I have heard people have screaming ekkies.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I have to agree totally with Mikey. Any bird can be trained to fit into any situation, IMO there are no rules except positive reinforcement.

I would have to say an eclectus is an less needy parrot & would fit into your world nicely. As far as diet goes you can make it as complex or as easy as you like. All my eclectus have a fresh fruit & veggie, raw nuts, sprouts. The most important is to balance their diet. I might add here that i feed all my parrots the same as i would feed my eclectus.

Any parrot can scream & IMO most of it is a learnt behavior. I have 40 odd parrots in my care & as i sit here & write this all i can hear is the Rainbow Lorikeet squeeking that is boarding here. Oh and the Green Cheek Conure going off. Normal parrot call is first thing in the morning & last thing before they settle at dusk.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Pedro,

My Gracie is a needy ^$#@^#%^....lol Both of them likes to be in the middle of my business....I can't clean or sweep without one of them being right there.... :eek:)

BUT over all Pedro is right, my ekkies isn't as needy as my other birds or the birds I used to own....

Most Reactions

Latest posts