DYA and YCA

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So I finally received Rocky and Adrian two days ago. Yesterday they finally walked around and explored their cage. Side to the very top. Rocky grunts and charges the newspapers on top and tears them up and climbs and Adrian hangs out on top of the door.

THEY WOULD PROBABLY ENJOY SHREDDING PHONE BOOKS IF YOU LEFT THEM FOR THEM ON TOP OF THE CAGE. THAT GENERALLY KEEPS THEM BUSY FOR HOURS AT A TIME...

Originally I was told that they will not like me right away and it will take them time to warm up to me. I was told that Rocky is extremely overprotective of Adrian, to the point that you wouldn't even be able to touch her without Rocky attacking. I was told he is cage territorial and over protective with his mate of 15 years.

I ALWAYS TAKE WHAT PEOPLE TELL ME WITH A GRAIN OF SAND. USUALLY THERE IS SOME SORT OF LONG TERM (USUALLY NEGLECT) PROBLEM THAT CAUSES OR CONTRIBUTES TO HOW THEY REACT TO SOMEONE.

Yesterday after hanging out with them from 5-9:30. I picked up Rocky and Adrian. I get Rocky to say "UP UP... UP UP..." and that's my cue to pick him up and Adrian at the same time. He hasn't bitten me yet, Adrian has but because she lost her balance twice.

THAT WASN'T REALLY A BITE, THAT WAS JUST GRABBING AND HOLDING ON... OCCASIONALLY IT HAPPENS.

I feel good, I have always been able to calm birds down and get their trust. But I would be a liar if I said that I wasn't nervous getting these birds that had a long history and experience of aggression and trauma (separation anxiety).

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT "BOUNCE BACK" AND TEND TO APPRECIATE THE PERSON WHO ACTUALLY BOTHERS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THEM AND GIVE THEM THE PROPER CARE THEY DESERVE...

I can't leave the room for a minute or else they cry and when I return, Adrian says "I MISS YOU, I MISSSSS YOU BABY, I MISS YOU!". I tested this and it's in context. When I first met them and even earlier yesterday, they couldn't care less and wouldn't leave the inside of their cage. Now they both say up up up.

WHICH SOUNDS LIKE IT'S STARTING ALREADY...

I already love them! The old owner and her boyfriend was beyond surprised and shocked that I earned this trust so quickly.

YEAH. EXACTLY...

Rocky also, working slowly allows me to scratch his head and rub his beak. I am a bit worried however, that maybe it's because we are in a honeymoon stage and they are faking this good behavior.

PERSONALLY, I DON'T BUY INTO THE WHOLE HONEYMOON PERIOD THING. THE "HONEYMOON PERIOD" WITH MY RED LORED WAS SHE WAS TRYING TO REMOVE DIGITS AND RIP MY LIPS OFF FOR THE FIRST TWO MONTHS I HAD HER. THE "HONEYMOON PERIOD" SINCE THEN, HAS BEEN EVERY DAY SINCE THE FIRST TWO MONTHS GOING ON 15+ YEARS NOW... SO NO, I DON'T BUY THAT ONE.

I am also worried about mating season, making sure they don't and recognizing those patterns.

A LOT OF THAT ARE TERRITORIAL BEHAVIORS, AND AMAZONS WILL GIVE YOU EVERY CLUE IN THE WORLD WHEN THEY ARE ACTING TERRITORIAL. MOST OF THE TIME PEOPLE GET BIT BECAUSE THEY IGNORE THE CLUES.

I have a way bigger cage than what they were in. So maybe he was moody in the first place was because he was cramped, mad at his old owner because of people he liked coming and going. Plus, supposedly he likes men more and Adrian is afraid of men. Except we're close. She tells me to come here.

MOST LIKELY, TOO SMALL A CAGE, NOT GETTING HANLDED ENOUGH, LEFT TO BECOME TERRITORIAL, AND OVERBONDED WITH THE OTHER BIRD... UUUMM, YEAH, THAT'S A SITUATION WHERE YOU'RE GONNA GET BIT. (SOMETIMES QUITE FREQUENTLY...)

AGAIN, GO BY WHAT YOUR EYES TELL YOU, NOT BY WHAT FORMER OWNERS TELL YOU. THEY'RE USUALLY SOMEWHAT CLUELESS... AND HAVE MADE ASSUMPTIONS AND GENERALIZATIONS THAT PERHAPS ARE LESS THAN CORRECT.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Those look like some better not get your face too close, territorially aggressive, hormonally challenged birds to me....

I don't envy you the near-Hurculean task of taming those two down!

Didn't Alfred Hitchcock do a movie about these guys?!

Yeah... right... exactly!

THE FORMER OWNER WAS PROBABLY DOING SOMETHING THAT TRIGGERED BITES... by one or the other. Trigger a bite/defensive reaction from a bonded pair, and they'll both go "defend the territory" on your butt. And they won't necessarily stop until they've driven you off, either...

Doesn't mean it's gonna happen to you!

Don't trigger it. Don't start none. Won't be none.

If it is triggered? Don't run. Calmly use a towel. Put them back in their cage. Leave them alone until they calm down. No drama rewards.

It's actually pretty simple, really.

And zons are fairly independent and self entertain well, especially where there are two of them, and they are bonded.

Last edited:
OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon and Yellow Crowned Amazon
So far, I move slowly and respect their space. Rocky is allowing me to scratch his head and none of them has tried to bite me yet. Do they look healthy to you? Or aggravated? They have only been nice so far to me, anyway. They definitely do not seem to like my roommates. This is my third day with them. :greenyellow:

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
This person on TheParrotsForum said this to me: HEY, congrats!!!! Now, please don't assume that you have gained their trust because you haven't. I don't mean to pop your balloon (believe you me!) but they are in what we call the honeymoon stage and on their best behavior - which will not continue forever. So, if I were you, I would not 'work' with either one for a couple of weeks and, when they do bite you (and they will)
don't think that you did something different to earn it because that will not be the case. It will just be the next step in your relationship and when you start learning about their true personalities, what to avoid and what is OK.

Now, no eggs. Eggs are full of fat, protein and bad cholesterol and are not part of any parrot natural diet and are especially bad for amazons which require a low protein diet. I don't use oatmeal for my birds but I do use oat groats. I suggest you check the diet section for gloop recipes as it's particularly ideal for amazons.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a lovely pair of zons! Looks like they've taken right to you. Double the trouble right?:D

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
So far, it definitely seems that they actually do like me. Maybe because of my personality lol. They definitely give attitude to my roommates. They give them the look.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So far, it definitely seems that they actually do like me. Maybe because of my personality lol. They definitely give attitude to my roommates. They give them the look.

Amazons either love your or hate you. They need to be socialized properly so those "hate" feelings turn into "politely and non-aggressively tolerate" feelings;) They haven't been with you long, nows the time to start! Before they get settled into their ways with you.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Awww...they are beautiful! So happy that you decided to take them in. Obviously it was the right choice. They look happy...and so do you!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This person on TheParrotsForum said this to me: HEY, congrats!!!! Now, please don't assume that you have gained their trust because you haven't. I don't mean to pop your balloon (believe you me!) but they are in what we call the honeymoon stage and on their best behavior - which will not continue forever. So, if I were you, I would not 'work' with either one for a couple of weeks and, when they do bite you (and they will)

I'VE ALREADY CHIMED IN ON MY OPINION OF THE "HONEYMOON PERIOD" THEORY.

don't think that you did something different to earn it because that will not be the case. It will just be the next step in your relationship and when you start learning about their true personalities, what to avoid and what is OK.

OR, THIS COULD BE THE NEW PATTERN FOR INTERACTION WITH THEM.IF WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING KEEP DOING IT. IF THEY STOP RESPONDING TO IT, TRY SOMETHING ELSE... RIGHT NOW, IT AIN'T BROKE... SO DON'T TRY AND FIX IT.

Now, no eggs. Eggs are full of fat, protein and bad cholesterol and are not part of any parrot natural diet and are especially bad for amazons which require a low protein diet. I don't use oatmeal for my birds but I do use oat groats. I suggest you check the diet section for gloop recipes as it's particularly ideal for amazons.

EGGS ARE FED IN LIMITED QUANTITIES, AND I CRUSH UP THE SHELLS AND ADD THEM TO THE MIX. IT'S AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF CALCIUM.

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
So here are a few more questions: Anyone know any places to buy proper Amazon food online? Safe and reliable?

Also, when it comes to misting them and keeping them humid. I live in Maine, where it gets dry and cold. Obviously not so dry inside, we have a heater. But do I just spray them with warm water over them, and that will prevent scaly/dry feet?

I recognized that their feet are kind of dry looking, what should I do to make sure it gets moisturized?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So here are a few more questions: Anyone know any places to buy proper Amazon food online? Safe and reliable?

Also, when it comes to misting them and keeping them humid. I live in Maine, where it gets dry and cold. Obviously not so dry inside, we have a heater. But do I just spray them with warm water over them, and that will prevent scaly/dry feet?

MINE GET SHOWERS ONCE PER WEEK. JUST TURN ON THE SHOWER AND STICK THEM IN THE WATER.

I recognized that their feet are kind of dry looking, what should I do to make sure it gets moisturized?

THE ONLY THING I'VE EVER USED IS THE 100% PURE ALOE VERA GEL. THE SAME STUFF THEY USE FOR BAD SUNBURNS.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

DRS. FOSTER AND SMITH.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and congratulations on your new Amazon pair!

Most of your questions were already addressed by others, but regarding your question about baths/mistings/showers, I shower my birds every other day when possible, but at least once a week. When it's warm enough outside, I use the hose on a gentle setting that mimics the impact of actual rain. And then they dry out in the sun. (They need sunlight, too. For Vitamin D)

When the temperature gets colder, I take them to the shower, instead. Since my home is heated, there's no need to use warm water. I've actually found that they prefer cool water for their showers.

The shower head setting doesn't have to be on mist, necessarily, (unless your parrots prefer that) but definitely not on jet spray, either! (No need to cannon blast them into the rear wall of the shower. Haha!)

Another good site for parrot supplies, btw, is My Safe Bird Store.

Most Reactions

Latest posts