DYA and YCA

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon and Yellow Crowned Amazon
So I went out to the store and bought LAFEBER'S for parrots and ZuPreem: Natural with added Vitamins and Minerals. Premium Daily Bird Food. Their former owner had them on a mix seeds diet that had other things in it, but mostly sunflower seeds. I miss all three, less of the sunflowers seeds. I also offer fruits to them along side that. How's that?

Is there any way to post videos? I think, if you guys could tell me what you see, that will help me understand them better =)

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
So I am definitely bonding well with Rocky. I need to start a blog haha. The mean one, actually loves me so much. He will make noise until I arrive and want on my shoulder. Adrian likes the cage door and isn't much of a percher on me. He always wants the cuddling or scratches on the head and will push his head under my chin. I am Blessed.

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
What's an SBS? Yeah, honestly I think the bigger cage and new start with a new owner was what they needed. Maybe they resented their old owner a lot or she lost their trust and they just tolerated her. Maybe they are just faking it with me now haha. I don't know, but I am not allowing me to think that way. I treat them the way that I want to be treated and try not to be too forceful. They haven't tried aggressively biting me as yet. Rocky always wants to scratching and to be on my shoulder. I am so surprised that he isn't just tolerating but is actually wanting to be with me. It's reassuring

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm glad Rocky and Adrian are having such a smooth transition into your household. Sometimes things just click right away, you know?

Don't be too worried about the infamous "honeymoon period". I don't think you need to worry that they may be faking it, as you said. I don't really think that's what the whole honeymoon thing is really about.

Some birds are easy going, and others will test their boundaries to get a feel for the dynamics of their relationship with you. Which, I believe, explains why some experience this honeymoon phase and some don't. I don't think the bird goes from Jekyll to Hyde from one week to the next, and I don't think they go from liking you to disliking you. I think it's just that most birds start to feel more at home in their situations after a week or two. The laid back birds will just continue on with that copacetic, it's all good type vibe.

But a bird that tests boundaries? That's the point where you'll see that side of them.

Now here's the thing. I believe how the parront handles the boundary testing at this point largely influences the relationship going forward. Some people are caught completely off-guard by this seeming shift in personality. They panic, wonder why their bird "hates" them now, and get either fearful or frustrated. Neither of which is conducive to the progression and deepening of any nascent bond that had begun to develop.

But if handled correctly, with boundaries clearly, firmly and calmly set, the testing phase commonly seen as the end of the so-called honeymoon period will be little more than a little bump in the road.

So keep this in mind over the next few weeks. I do believe that Rocky and Adrian (why did I not recognize the significance of those names before this morning? Smh) have taken to you. And whether or not they are inclined to test you in the coming weeks does not change that. Rather, it's how you handle this testing, should it occur, that will determine the course of your relationship with them going forward.

You seem to be doing a great job with them so far. Keep the updates coming.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
SBS = single bird syndrome. So many folks worry about MBS, multiple bird syndrome, they forget about the opposite! My JoJo is so much of my life, I fear anything that could impact her/ us!

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Oh I see! Haha Yeah, I could see why you would have SBS. I was blessed with just two, so I honestly wouldn't know the difference from having one to having two! lol

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
I'm glad Rocky and Adrian are having such a smooth transition into your household. Sometimes things just click right away, you know?
DEFINITELY! =)

But a bird that tests boundaries? That's the point where you'll see that side of them.

I think yesterday that started. They would not get back into their cages at night. Rocky kept climbing all the way to the highest perch, which is high and wouldn't move. When I finally got them both on me, I removed the high perch. Which I feel kind of bad because he's swinging on it, sliding down... but I just can't reach it. It's up to the ceiling and the cage is already taller than me... so... I figured, eliminating this stand will be for the best. Even after removing it, they would not go in the cage... instead they would give me their whiny growl that they do while they are perching by themselves in the cage. A purr/whine?

Now here's the thing. I believe how the parrot handles the boundary testing at this point largely influences the relationship going forward. Some people are caught completely off-guard by this seeming shift in personality. They panic, wonder why their bird "hates" them now, and get either fearful or frustrated. Neither of which is conducive to the progression and deepening of any nascent bond that had begun to develop.

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried about this. How do you recommend me handling this. TOO be honest, I really expected them to hate my guts because I took them from their owner... but like I said the "meanest one" loves me to death. We just had a misting party today and boy did they have a blast.

But if handled correctly, with boundaries clearly, firmly and calmly set, the testing phase commonly seen as the end of the so-called honeymoon period will be little more than a little bump in the road.

I am afraid of being aggressive with them... like A type parenting. I have read that sometimes using a towel or pillow to get them to bed... traumatizes them and they begin to resent you. I don't want to be forceful.

So keep this in mind over the next few weeks. I do believe that Rocky and Adrian (why did I not recognize the significance of those names before this morning? Smh) have taken to you.

Especially Rocky, he's my buddy. Adrian doesn't really want to go far from her cage (on the door) and is indifferent about perching on me.

And whether or not they are inclined to test you in the coming weeks does not change that. Rather, it's how you handle this testing, should it occur, that will determine the course of your relationship with them going forward.[/I]

Please train me wise one... because I want to handle this testing the right way! =D Tips and guidelines.

You seem to be doing a great job with them so far. Keep the updates coming.

Overall, I am so blessed to have these two in my life. My overall happiness have really sky rocketed and I am spend hours with them!

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Latest: Rocky and Adrian still love me and still haven't tried aggressively biting me. Adrian almost said my name and she allows me to scratch her head.

What are ways that I can play with them? I feel like a dangling wood thing just gets boring after a while. I have a lot... but... lol.... I'd get bored. What are ways to play with them to make life fun? They don't like siting on the floor, couch, table or bed... only the cage and my shoulders/arm. Adrian is also afraid of everything. I brought a toilet paper roll and she flew away from it. What are some ideas?

How can I get them to eat their vegetables and fruits more? I lowered their intake of seeds... not completely just less.... with pellets and nuggets (Vegetables and minerals blend). They obviously pick out the seeds. Rocky will eat healthier but Adrian likes her junk food.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Latest: Rocky and Adrian still love me and still haven't tried aggressively biting me. Adrian almost said my name and she allows me to scratch her head.

What are ways that I can play with them? I feel like a dangling wood thing just gets boring after a while. I have a lot... but... lol.... I'd get bored. What are ways to play with them to make life fun? They don't like siting on the floor, couch, table or bed... only the cage and my shoulders/arm. Adrian is also afraid of everything. I brought a toilet paper roll and she flew away from it. What are some ideas?

How can I get them to eat their vegetables and fruits more? I lowered their intake of seeds... not completely just less.... with pellets and nuggets (Vegetables and minerals blend). They obviously pick out the seeds. Rocky will eat healthier but Adrian likes her junk food.

Try newspaper cut up into strips or folded up with treats inside, cardboard is usually a hit too.

As for the food, I've usually gone cold turkey on changing over foods, with all three of my amazons, and my grey. I mixed the pellets with a little coconut oil and little bits of apple or banana. Chop them small enough so they have no choice but to pick through! Gradually reduced the amount of pellets in the mix and just fresh food.

Right now all my birds get at least two cooked/fresh meals a day, pellets are always available inside the cage. Any treats or plain seeds are given outside the cage.

My fresh mix varies day to day, but I have a base I keep in batches in the freezer, and defrost in the morning, and then add whatever else I feel like that day. Seasonal fruits and veggies, grain mixes like quinoa, oats, oat groats, wheat berries, amaranth, brown rice, white millet, etc. Some nuts and seeds like pepitas(pumpkin) flax, chia seeds, sesame, almonds, cashews, occasional peanuts. Sprouted seeds (follow JerseyWendy's guide in the diet section)

I have no set mix, I have a bunch of ziplock bags of my various ingredients, take handfuls and divide them up into the bowls, overtop of my base mix which I microwaved for about a minute so it's warm, it cools to edible temperature by the time I'm ready to serve. Sometimes I'll toss in certain things I know my birds need I'll toss them in, like my conures are a little on the thin side and need some calcium, I'm more liberal with some healthy nuts like almonds and sesame seeds and a little coconut oil.

My Amazons are pretty healthy, though the female is on the thinner side, so I make sure to mix in extra foods that she likes and slip her healthy treats when I can.

It'll take some time for you to figure out who likes what, but I'm sure you already have some idea! It's going to be a lot of trial and error but you'll get there. Don't forget to eat some healthy snacks around them, especially around Adrian who's more picky. Make a big deal out of it, but I think she'll follow by example soon enough I'm sure.:green:

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Another question. How do I stop cage perches from sliding off and falling. They keep collapsing on my poor babies. I have multiple perches, with different arches... but I also have three long straight ones... those cheap ones keep falling

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Another question. How do I stop cage perches from sliding off and falling. They keep collapsing on my poor babies. I have multiple perches, with different arches... but I also have three long straight ones... those cheap ones keep falling

Those cheap dowel perches do that. They are better to cut up and make toys out of than as perches IMO. I'd recommend replacing them with rope perches, which will last a long time (Kiwi's have lasted about 6 years and are all in good shape still).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Go with natural wood tree branch bolt on perches, and rope perches instead.

Those dowel perches suck, and they are hard on a bird's feet.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I like to buy poplar dowels in fairly thick sizes (inch, inch and a half diameter) and use my dremel to sand them into more bumpy surfaces, just as cheap perches I know are going to get destroyed anyway.

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
I don't think that I will ever clip their wings. They both flew to me, while I was watching TV. I like the fact that they can fly to me or to their cage at will. Thoughts?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I don't think that I will ever clip their wings. They both flew to me, while I was watching TV. I like the fact that they can fly to me or to their cage at will. Thoughts?
I feel the same way with my birds. Only one of them chooses to exercise the privilege at this point, but they are both fully flighted.

Whether or not to clip is a personal choice, of course, but to me there's nothing like flight training your bird. Seeing the joy in their expressions as they grow more skillful and confident in their abilities is just priceless.

As long as you never allow yourself to become complacent about watching them, and you keep up your flight recall training, I think flighted birds is a wonderful thing.

Just make sure to take them on tours of the house so they can get used to all the twists and turns. And make sure to introduce them to every window and mirror in your place. Repeatedly. They can get the concept of glass, but you have to take the time and teach them. Touch their beaks to the surface, all the while saying "glass" or "window".

Any videos of them flying?

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
I wish, they are selective when they do it. I never have my phone with me. I tried getting them to do it, but instead they stare at me.

Side note. Adrian bit me twice haha. Yesterday she was on my arm and randomly bit my arm. It didn't really hurt but broke skin. Then today, while holding Rocky she wanted to come up as well. She can up on my wrist and then wigged out and bit my wrist, that hurt more than the arm haha. I tried not to react and held her on my wrist, but she chose to go back on the cage door and then in her cage. She is afraid of everything... I think she's afraid of my wrist all of the sudden (veins part)... but not my finger or hand... she also doesn't show off the typical warning signs, very unpredictable...

Maybe with the season change... she's getting hormonal? When I give her a treat... she goes for the treat and then goes for my finger instead... I am thinking she's mad at me... I put a rope toy in her cage... I don't think she likes it. I just took it out... maybe she'll be nicer lol

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts