Eclectus became agressive

Railhead

Jan 6, 2012
Hi everyone!

It seems my 5 years old male eclectus became possessed by the devil.
He was the cutiest parrot in the world and a family member but 2days ago while he was sitting on my shoulder he suddenly attacked me.
I succeed to grab him and i put him into the cage (i got several bites). I closed the door and he jumped the closest corner to me and he
started to roar at me like i never heard him before. When i tried to close to him he bit towards my direction and he was dancing like an
attacking cobra. His eyes were flashing. The whole thing was just like a bad scene from the B movie Birds by Hitchcock:)
Never ever happened this before. There was a few bites time to time once per month or something like that when i tried to pet him and he
wasn`t in the mood but not anything like this. It seems he turned hostile only against me but not my brother and the other family members or strangers.
My brother and me are his keepers and we feed him but he is living in my brothers room his cage is there. I think that was a territorial
dominating behavior or something like that but i dont know why only against me... The worst thing i think he is dominated me and i think
he knows that. He is learning very quickly and he knows if he succeed once he could win any time. I dont have any tool to punish besides
i put him in the cage (and honestly its not a big punishment for him) and he knows that.
I don`t know what to do.
Thank you for answers in anticipation!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
To me, it's sounds hormonal. I think they can get hormonal towards a specific individual or several people. My Ekkie is going through it right now and he is fine with my wife and daughter. But me, he will growl at me especially when I put him down and start to walk away. I growl right back at him in an even louder voice.

First off, DON'T LET HIM BACK ON YOUR SHOULDER until he proves that he can be trusted again. Secondly, at the hint of any sort of aggression, put him back in his cage and don't let anyone associate with him. Ekkie's like any other birds likes being part of the flock. So if you ignore him and then someone else comes along right after and plays with him, then I can see why he would associate good times with someone else besides you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts