Jen81

Sep 5, 2014
St. Louis, Missouri
Parrots
Loki - Pearly Conure - Hatched 4/16/14
Blueberry - Parakeet - Hatched 7/2/14
Sunny - Parakeet - Hatched 7/4/14
Hi all.

My daughters have been begging for parakeets for about a year now and about 2 and a half months ago we visited a small family owned bird store who sells hand-fed babies. The girls were told they didn't have any parakeet babies available at the time but we were put on a waiting list and about a month ago we got the call that the babies had hatched and they could come choose their babies. My oldest chose a bright yellow budgie with just a little green under his wings and promptly named him Sunny. My other daughter chose a little blue and grey budgie which she named Blueberry. It was love at first sight. Obviously, they were still being formula fed and weren't ready to come home yet so we visited them weekly. While the girls were playing with their babies, I tended to gravitate towards this little baby Pearly conure who often was left in his cage instead of out on the playstands because he was a biter and tended to bully the other birds. However, while he was nippy with me, he never tended to bite hard and once he was out of his cage he would curl up against my chest and snuggle. He LOVED being pet and I figured it would only help him find a home faster if he came to trust people. Well, on labor day the call finally came that the baby parakeets were successfully eating their pellets and refusing formula and were ready to come home! So we went out to pick out their cages (they are being kept separate so they really bond with the girls), toys, etc. And of course the babies! While the girls were doing their shopping I (of course) was snuggling the Pearly and the owner of the store came over and said she had never seen that bird take to someone the way he had to my husband and I and while she knew that I had expressed interest in getting a green cheek, would I consider adopting the pearly instead. I told her I would think about it as we were already bringing home two other birds and we have quite a zoo at home already but the next thing I knew my husband was loading a parrot cage onto the counter and thus we now have Baby Loki. :)

So far everyone seems to be settling into home nicely. The girls love doing their homework with their birds sitting on them and in fact, I walked into my youngest daughter's room yesterday morning to wake her for school only to find she was already awake and reading to Blueberry. It was so sweet. And Sunny obviously loves my other daughter too. Everytime she walks by his cage he waits by the door for her to open it and climbs right out to be with her. He even calls for her if she leaves the room or when she turns out the light for bed but once she answers that she's there he settles right down.

Loki is doing well too. He is still quite nippy and has actually bit pretty hard a few times but we are slowly learning what his boundaries seem to be and all learning to trust one another. He is super snuggly and loves to "hide" in my hair and peek out - it's like he thinks he is invisible. He also loves to cuddle up in your hands - sometimes on his back and get petted all over. (Especially his cheeks). He responds well to step up and I think with a little time he will calm down. He is my first larger parrot. I had a cockatiel when I was a kid and the parakeets seem fairly straightforward but if anyone has any suggestions for a beginner conure owner I will happily take them. :) He's currently eating roudybush and I know he needs some veggies and we've been researching what to try but he doesn't seem interested in much else at this time. Also, what are some good training treats? I can't wait to dive into the forums!!!

It is wonderful to meet you all!

10537953_10152695146339791_5920787323685202954_o_zps3915f5c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10551695_10152695146119791_4009231569340688459_o_zpsf1bfe5ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

download_20140905_131657_zps935b2be5.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140902_212351_zpsbeef9520.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hi and welcome! That's great that you also got Loki! What a pretty flock you have!

IRNMom

Jun 16, 2014
New Britain, CT
Parrots
KissKiss, Indian Ringneck
Lolo, Cockatiel
Petri, Love bird
Scooter, Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Hi and welcome! Cute New babies! I love green cheek conjures! That'll be my next one!

~~Jen~~

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I love parakeets and green cheeks! Enjoy!!!! They all look so happy!

Green cheeks take a little more time to settle than parakeets, I think. Give your little conure a few weeks to settle and relax.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome to the forum!

That's AMAZING your daughters were able to get handfed budgies, they must adore them. And stunning little conure with a beautiful cage.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to you and you're new flock! Your girls look so happy with their new companions. I love that you brought the conure home too. Enjoy your research, we have a great group of budgie and conure parronts, I know they will be willing to help.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! You have a beautiful family:)
The budgies are precious, and so is Loki!
I look forward to hearing more about them. So glad you joined us!

Most Reactions

Latest posts