excitement

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Oh please don't forget to take a boatload of photos, ok??? :D

Have fun!!!

We only ended up taking a couple. We were too busy handling birds, some of whom were pretty determined not to be handled... We handled everyone except the two severes, and the dyh who was in a cage outside, and was flighted, so obviously not even gonna try...

Last edited:
OP
H

hsb_birds

Dec 4, 2014
Media
horseshoe bay, tx
Parrots
9 MACS, 2 U2, 2 DHYA, 1 CAG, & 1 SC. (plus 1 chilean flamingo & 5 sulcata tortoises)
it was great! he got bitten several times but all of my babies I can work with all my "bad birds" aren't so bad after all but my one "good one Joseph was a stinker today gave him a few nasty bites.... hope you are ok
oh btw Ralph still in a mood and tried to bite Mandy

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, it turns out I am a little rusty, and a little too trusting...

Actually, I worked with all the (non-severe) macaws, and ended up with only one minor pin prick for my trouble, and this from a bird that fought step up for a good 15 minutes' and seemed determined NOT to be handled. Then laid down in the palm of my hand and let me kiss him on the beak,while trying to slip me the tongue...

The Eckie biter was very Sweet with me, but she did nail me once. (Like snapping turtle not letting go until sunset... Nailed me.) After that we were able to control her beak with one finger... And not only was there no more biting, but we were able to pass the bird everyone had been afraid of back and forth between three people and a training perch.... So that was real progress....

Then there was the CAG...Now this was a bird that voluntarily put his head upside down, and let me scratch his head through the cage bars, and stepped right up just as pretty as you please, before suddenly and without warning turning on me and trying to set a guinness book of worlds records for the most pinholes in a hand in the least amount of time...

So to recap, the macaw they call Satan, not only didn't' bite me, he let me kiss him on the beak. The dominant male greenwing, who didn't step up, laid down in the palm of my hand, and tried to slip me the tongue...

While the sweet friendly CAG bit the crap outta me...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OP
H

hsb_birds

Dec 4, 2014
Media
horseshoe bay, tx
Parrots
9 MACS, 2 U2, 2 DHYA, 1 CAG, & 1 SC. (plus 1 chilean flamingo & 5 sulcata tortoises)
Awesome update!! So please, can you share the 'few' pics that were taken??? :D

here's two of him working with the male GW that doesn't know how to step up (I always thought he was aggressive but now I know diffrent:red::red::):)

Attachments

• unnamed (13).jpg
    unnamed (13).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 177
  • unnamed (11).jpg
    unnamed (11).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 173

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Those photos are exhibit A in opposition to the theory that if you "manhandle" a macaw you lose their trust.

This bird quite literally did not know how to step up... AS IN I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO SO I AM GOING TO RUN AWAY, AND RESIST ANY ATTEMPT TO HANDLE ME...

It took a 15-20 minute chase, where I literally had to tackle him with a towel, and carry him by his feet on his back to the bathroom (where we were working with them), because no fuss perching on my arm would be doing the unthinkable...

This was about five minutes after the towel was taken off. About five minutes after that I got him to perch on my hands. About five minutes later he was perching on my arm. We got him off my arm, and onto a training perch, and then back on my arm once... So he did at least, step up once for me... and I carried him around on my arm for awhile just to get him used to the idea.

Next time he gets picked up it should be less of a fuss...

IF I HAD COMPLETELY DESTROYED TRUST WOULD HE BE CALMLY LAYING IN THE PALM OF MY HAND OR LETTING ME KISS HIM ON THE BEAK?! OR WOULD HE BE BUSY PUTTING HOLES IN MY ARM, AND TRYING TO RIP MY LIPS OFF?!

NOW THIS IS NOT THE PREFERRED METHOD OF DOING THINGS.... BUT with a bird that is festering, and afraid, and who doesn't know how to, they WILL NEVER do this voluntarily... Sometimes, forcing them to face their fears is the only way... and once they do, they suddenly discover NOT ONLY DID THIS NOT KILL ME, I KINDA LIKED IT... IN FACT, I'D LIKE TO DO MORE OF THAT...

Trust is ESTABLISHED... because he did it, HE THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO DIE and YOU NOT ONLY DIDN'T KILL HIM, YOU MADE HIM YOUR BUDDY...

ON THAT LEVEL, IT'S THE OPPOSITE OF DESTROYING TRUST. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?! The little light bulb goes on for the bird... oh wait, he's not trying to hurt me, he wants to play and be friends...

The bird in this picture didn't know how to step up. Waiting for him to step up on his own, would have been a wait that lasted the rest of his lifetime, or yours... WHICH IS KINDER? LEAVING HIM TO ROT IN A CAGE, OR FORCING HIM TO COME OUT AND DEAL WITH HIS FEARS?

I'm old school. He'll get over it. The sooner we do this, the sooner he will get over it. The longer you let him fester, the more likely he will be to become cage bound and territorial, as well as afraid. So, sooner rather than later... and with a towel if it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I didn't notice the hammer. There was a stick, for stick handling. Didn't need it for him. Did need that towel on the floor though. He started out as a towel mummy...

It was the bathroom of a utility room we were using for training purposes.

A confined space where we wouldn't have so far to chase if it came to that.

Yeah, he was actually a very sweet bird, just very very fearful, and didn't know how to do anything. With a little training, he's going to be a GREAT bird.

These pics were taken after, I want to say, about 15 minutes of working with him... SO YEAH... He's a very good bird!!!

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So...what were you gonna use the hammer for? :54: :D
Hahahahahaha! 😂 High comedy, Wendy!

And so good to see that you got through to that macaw, Mark. You obviously made some good headway. Solid foundation to build on.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Being kinda new to the big Mac world I have read so much . I was on the fence about the towel and the " old school way " . One thing that worried me was I read you can do damage to the bird if not done correct. Physically . I have watched several video's on the subject and see the good and some not so good.

BB has come a long way and maybe would be further along if I used the "old school" approach toward him. How do you know when this approach has to be taken ? Mark you are a expert on the Big Mac's and I can tell you from a newb position it can be confusing.

Would I sit and let him bit me . Hell no. There has been a towel close to his cage for that just reason. If he comes at me I am sure I would take action. Being a newb I would never had tried your approach just because I did not know.

BB pinches right now but that is all. Never even leaves a red spot.

Your advise has been priceless to me. I have personally mailed you several times to say so . If ever I get another Mac that would not cooperate I am sure I would look at this approach. Thank Goodness I did not have to

You did a amazing job !

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
One thing that worried me was I read you can do damage to the bird if not done correct. Physically .

YOU CAN IF YOU RESTRICT THEIR AIR FLOW, AND YOU CAN ALSO BREAK A WING IF THEIR WINGS ARE OUT AND YOU FORCE THAT ON THEM. THE TOWEL CAN BE FAIRLY LOOSE...

BB has come a long way and maybe would be further along if I used the "old school" approach toward him. How do you know when this approach has to be taken ? Mark you are a expert on the Big Mac's and I can tell you from a newb position it can be confusing.

NO... YOU DON'T NEED TO. HE COMES TO YOU. HE STEPS UP. HE DOESN'T BITE. THE POINT OF THIS POST ARE ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SIT AROUND WAITING, LITERALLY YEARS IN SOME CASES, FOR THE BIRD TO BE "READY" TO STEP UP...

THIS IS FOR THE SUPER AGGRESSIVE BITERS, AND THE BIRDS THAT WON'T STEP UP NO MATTER WHAT... AND AS I RECALL, THIS WAS REALLY THE ONLY BIRD I HAD TO TOWEL ALL DAY. THE OTHER BIRDS, EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE BITERS, WERE ALL STICK TRAINED, AND THEN STEPPED UP FROM THE STICK JUST FINE... (Persuading them to get off the stick, and on the arm without biting is the tricky part with those birds. And then, of course, getting them to allow touching the first few times ups the degree of difficulty a bit.)

BB pinches right now but that is all. Never even leaves a red spot.

Your advise has been priceless to me. I have personally mailed you several times to say so . If ever I get another Mac that would not cooperate I am sure I would look at this approach. Thank Goodness I did not have to

You did a amazing job !

This is a LAST RESORT... WHEN NOTHING ELSE WORKS. Not the first thing you try.

You've made good steady progress with BB. I think you've done a lot to turn him around and enhance his quality of life.

Thanks!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Christine is very very impressed by a lot of you on here. You have to understand the only contact I had with a bird was the one that pooped on my car. He loved my side mirror. SO yes I am always swooning over your flocks and the advise you guys give me. I had no idea how to feed , or anything when I arrived here. I was so scared. So you guys are awsome

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please know I was joking...all in good fun, I promise!!!

Thank you so much for your super kind words, Christine!!! You've come miles and miles and more miles with your BB!! :D

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
WOW!! Good God Im impressed :) Do you feel like you maybe just "Get" some species ?

Most Reactions

Latest posts