Feathered buzz saws...

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Hi Mark, Love the pictures you posted. Thanks for starting this thread. I noticed your RFM likes to lick the eye corner also. Always though this was a very strange habit of Valentino as none of my other boys have done this. I am still uncomfortable with him licking my eye corner or as I say "drinking my eye juice" (gross I know)

I loved all the mac pictures everyone put up. Every time I see pictures of Stevie I just love them as he looks so much like my Diego (wait until he gets older his colors will EXPLODE!) Every macaw I have had have been extremely affectionate and mushy. I love macaws!

Valentino before he got his red front. He is "hugging" my ear. It is so cute when he takes his wings and hugs me. He hugs my face, chest, body, he will wrap his wing/s around me. I never had a parrot that hugs.
100_2286_zps787ec31c.jpg

In the evening while I am relaxing and watching TV Valentino is very affectionate. After the inital adjustment period he cuddled with me right away. I have this light blue baby "bonding" blanket I drape over my chest so Valentino can be with me. Even to this day if I drape this blanket over my chest he will fly to me and lay on me. I love this parrot. The picture is loaded up and named "pile of feather mush" LOL

100_2399_zpsedefa79a.jpg

Valentino trusts me so much I can do anything to him. This is important to me so that I can examine him anywhere on his body to check him making sure all is alright. Remember when I was concerned about his "white tongue tip"? I was constantly prying open his beak to check it. LOL I have since learned that a RFM tongue is two colors and not just all black. Valentino had learned to stick out his tongue and is always sticking that thing out the side of his beak. I have been trying to get a picture of it but so far have failed.

One thing that does concern me about the RFM is their propensity for jumping into my face or running up my chest to get to my face. He is so quick about it and it still freaks me out when he does this. He will "slap" my face with his beak, grab the end of my nose and "pump" it like the feeding response and the one I dislike the most is when he takes a little tiny piece of skin (mostly my cheek or neck) and pinches it (little bugger). I have been managing this behavior pretty well so far but am concerned when Valentino grows up and becomes a "man". I wonder if hormones might make this behavior worse or more aggressive. In case of that I work with him now to teach him "gentle" and it is not acceptable to me. I believe this is play behavior for him as he will jump up to my face from standing on the counter while exhaling forcefully making that weird growl that sounds wet. I remind him I am not another RFM that he can play rough with. Preening for him is PULLING MY HAIR. LOL I wish he would preen more gentle but something tells me he pulls my hair for reaction effect. I have a weird macaw.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Both my macaws are huge on the eyeball preening. Maggie's a bigger eyeball licker than Sweepea is... But I don't think I've ever had one that wasn't... just one or two rehabs I wouldn't necessarily entrust my eyeballs to...

My RFM is pretty much the same way. These guys and the blue throats are very similar that way. They seem to hatch without any trust issues, unless someone makes a concerted effort to screw that up...

Sweepea is the bird that is most determined to preen me, but she tries to open my pin feathers (i.e. body hair) and it hurts! Any time I am doing her, she insists on doing me too... which sounds like what you are describing. It's a bit like regurgitation. It means I love you, it's just not necessarily pleasant...

I've just learned to put up with it over the years.

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Zoe is forever sticking her tongue in my ear. She also does the face lunge thing, but she doesn't grab anything (except occasionally my glasses) but she's scraped my face with her upper beak a few times doing that. The first time I unintentionally snatched her up like a football and made her squawk. Now I throw up a hand and firmly tell her no. Not sure it's working.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hey Joe, those videos made Sarah cry! She was moved to tears by your new baby... :D

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Hi Karen,

Valentino does the face jumping thing also. I am never comfortable with it and I also hold my hand in front of my face and say "NO!" Even working with Valentino in the attempt to get him to stop doing the face jumping thing is not getting me very far. I don't know how I could handle a even bigger bird doing that like your BTM. I guess the RFM and BTM are a lot a like in personality and temperament.

Valentino does stick his tongue in my ear, up my nose, in my eye, shoves it in my mouth (ish) ane what not. He also likes to nip my ear which I cannot stand. He will get put down off of me when he starts nipping. My concern is when he will become hormonal. Will these behaviors become more aggressive or insistent and will I have to be even more concerned (like not allowing on shoulder anymore) that this behavior can become dangerous. I don't seem to have much luck breaking him of it.

Here is Valentino on my shoulder. At least he is behaving here

CAM00290_zps881f05bc.jpg

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My red front uses my ear as a beak hold sometimes when riding on my shoulder. It's just a convenient place to hold on. She'll also grab my ear and wiggle it to get my attention sometimes.

The macaws put their tongues in every available hole on my head, at every given opportunity. My other birds, not so much, but pretty much every macaw I've ever owned does this.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Love the pony bead idea. I might try it with buttons, which is Zoe's favorite thing to snap.

Valentino is gorgeous! He looks like such a sweet boy up there.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
In the evening while I am relaxing and watching TV Valentino is very affectionate.

LOVED the pics !! Thanks for sharin !!!

Zoe is forever sticking her tongue in my ear. but she's scraped my face with her upper beak a few times doing that. The first time I unintentionally snatched her up like a football and made her squawk. Now I throw up a hand and firmly tell her no. Not sure it's working.

Ha HA Ha...VERY Funny Karen, I think we called them "wet willies" in the 70's !! So with a Mac its a "Dry Willy" LOL

We are starting to do the lunging thing too, and the funny thing is, I did the very same thing you did, the first time she lunged I grabbed her like a foot ball too and sat her on the table, I quickly realized what she is doing BUT I don't think it is safe cause she slightly scraped the side of my face once to and now if she does it I "catch" her beak and hold it still for 3 seconds and say "Nooo" She does not like me stopping her beak from moving for more than a second so I know I have her attention at that point, seems to be easing up

She is also starting to test her bite pressure, when she exceeds a certain amount I tell her "Nooo" and gently grab her beak, remove it, and hold it still for a 3 count again (which she does not like)

She now knows "Nooo" means stop whatever you are doing
(Not that she always listens but she is VERY Smart and LOVE is a good motivator)

Hey Joe, those videos made Sarah cry! She was moved to tears by your new baby... :D

Aww, That is so sweet Mark, Rissa is the same way!!
(wait till Sarah sees the one below)

Through the day she will do things that just show you she wants to be hugged and loved and it can be VERY moving !! Rissa and I just look at each other in Awe of this Magnificent Creature !!

My red front uses my ear as a beak hold sometimes when riding on my shoulder. It's just a convenient place to hold on. She'll also grab my ear and wiggle it to get my attention sometimes.

The macaws put their tongues in every available hole on my head, at every given opportunity. My other birds, not so much, but pretty much every macaw I've ever owned does this.

Ha Ha Ha, Mark you're like a Macaw's Elephant !! They nudge your ear to get you to go in the direction they want!!

No but really, It is kinda "sad" about their "tongue" Its really a finger
Now imagine you only have ONE Finger, AND it Grows out of your mouth !?!? :confused:

No wonder they touch everything every minute with their tongue, They are Sense of touch deprived

Anyway, gotta sleep now !! Nite Nite !! BTW new text over at Baby's Thread

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2an-bFcE2s"]Mush Rollover Mac - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When I described Greenwings as LAP BIRDS... that is exactly what I was talking about right there.

Realistically? I don't think you're ever going to need to use a towel on this bird for anything other than grooming.

THAT is exactly why I have such a hard time with this whole Greenwings chasing people around the house, destroying the place, being aggressive, etc...

And there were so many people who responded like Greenwings are just these super aggressive, super territorial, etc. And I can't help but think you guys are doing something wrong here.

BECAUSE THIS is what they are like if you work with them.

Granted yours is just a baby, BUT mine is 16 years old, and still pretty much like that...

My friend's bird, Lucy, is about 27 years old, and still like that...

In my mind, this is their natural state if they are properly socialized. And that's why I love big macs so much...

The "problem" with most of these birds is human.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
When I described Greenwings as LAP BIRDS... that is exactly what I was talking about right there.

Realistically? I don't think you're ever going to need to use a towel on this bird for anything other than grooming.

THAT is exactly why I have such a hard time with this whole Greenwings chasing people around the house, destroying the place, being aggressive, etc...

And there were so many people who responded like Greenwings are just these super aggressive, super territorial, etc. And I can't help but think you guys are doing something wrong here.

BECAUSE THIS is what they are like if you work with them.

Granted yours is just a baby, BUT mine is 16 years old, and still pretty much like that...

My friend's bird, Lucy, is about 27 years old, and still like that...

In my mind, this is their natural state if they are properly socialized. And that's why I love big macs so much...

The "problem" with most of these birds is human.

Agreed, I think the biggest problem is people don't realize you can't just leave these birds in the cage while you walk around doing things in your home, They know, they watch you, all you have to do is share your life with them :confused:

I put her back in the cage for one reason, it is the only way I can get her to focus on eating her "real" food, so after playtime I put her back in the cage on a perch that is right in front of her bowls

But after 20 to 30 minutes she cries to me :( (not screams or squawks) but low volume whimpers, I taught her that screams or squawks didn't work to get her out and she learned FAST (in one week)

So I take her out again and we all take turns spending time with her

Tonight I introduced her to the knotted rope that I hook to my ceiling, the other end attaches to her T stand and makes it very taut (so it is easier to get climbing on) then I attached her wood ladder to the other side of the T stand going down to my coffee table (where there are 3 different balls and a large dog bowl of treats)

She had a BLAST but only went up the rope about 3 knots or so

She is scared of "transitions" so she goes right up the ladder but then takes 5 mins or so transitioning to the T stand LOL It's just cause she is a baby and does not have good control of her feet yet

I will set it up for her everyday now and see what kind of progress we make (I'll get a video of it soon)

BTW DNA IS ON THE WAY......YAY

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
IN the cage?!

My GW rarely goes IN her cage. ON her cage, sure, but not voluntarily IN...

The other birds will go in her cage because is so much larger than theirs...

Although the other day, since I put that monster swing in it, she was in there for two hours (while I cleaned house) chewing away at the toys, and didn't mind a bit. That swing was a good investment.

First time for everything, I guess.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Zoe just being her vicious self. And, no, I did not put her in this position. She's just weird that way.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OMG! That bird is so much fun!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Buddy and I are "green" with envy, lol. He is not a cuddle bug. I shared the pics with husband and he panicked lol. He and his phobia of beaks but he did admit it was nice seeing the mushy side of macaws. Keep sharing, love the pics.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
OMG! That bird is so much fun!

I refrained from taking the sleeping shot. You can see her head is fluffed up. After taking the pic I rubbed her head until she fell asleep. I have no idea why she likes getting in those weird positions.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Who knows? They're just goofy...

The oddest sleeping position bird I ever saw, and this was an every night occurrence and we never did figure out why this bird was doing this...

There was a TAG who quite literally emptied his food dish, then stuck his head in the dish, and slept upside down with his head in his dish!

The oddest sleeping pair I ever had were my two little bonded conures.

Demitre, my little male dusky would position himself on the preferred sleeping perch at bedtime. Inca, the female jenday would climb the bars of the cage, and slept lying down on her back, ON TOP OF HIM, wingtip to wingtip. And then they would wrap their little heads around each other.

And they had this whole elaborate little time for bed dance ritual they would do...

None of my macaws have been quirky like that, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

OBVIOUSLY!

It will be interesting to see if this is a phase she grows out of, or if this is just part of her playful personality quirks. Either way, SHE IS A LOVE!!!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
That is too funny!

We'll see in a few years if she keeps it up. She does sleep like a normal bird in the cage (other than she doesn't tuck the beak behind the wing, instead she lays her head on the side on her back. Looks uncomfortable to me.)

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is too funny!

We'll see in a few years if she keeps it up. She does sleep like a normal bird in the cage (other than she doesn't tuck the beak behind the wing, instead she lays her head on the side on her back. Looks uncomfortable to me.)

Yeah well, watching those two little conures, I always thought if one of them loses their balance, the other one will end up being hung my the neck (literally) of the other bird...

I wish I could find my old pics, cuz I have a shot of this one. It was so unusual I had to. I also had one of the TAG sleeping on his head inside the bowl... because that's something you just don't see everyday!

Most Reactions